The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Journalist looking for para-equestrian jumper

Hey, everyone. I posted this in the Riders with Disabilities section, so my apologies if you see this twice. Not trying to flood the message board, just trying to make sure I cover my bases in case someone can help me with this.

I'm a hunter/jumper rider, journalist, and a student at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism interested in completing my year-long, master's project on para-equestrian show jumping.

I'm hoping to find someone in California or on the West Coast who trains para-equestrian jumpers, a rider, or someone involved in the movement to make para-equestrian showjumping an official sport in the US (or in the Paralympics).

If anyone has any contacts or ideas of where I might be able to look, please let me know. Even if you know of someone in a different part of the states, it would be great to get their information...they might know of someone or they might be able to help me themselves.

Thanks so much. I appreciate any help I can get!

I can't remember her name (hopefully someone else can chime in!) but there's a very talented young girl who's doing the jumpers with just one arm. I think she's even shown at WEF.

(I finished my M.A. in Journalism back in December, so I feel your pain. Good luck! )

A good friend of mine in Arizona is classified as a Para rider, and even competed in the CPEDI at Del Mar a couple of years ago. However, she is first and foremost a jumper rider and has been talking to Para riders in the UK about getting the jumpers recognized as a Para event in the US. I can put you in touch with her if you are interested.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I can't remember her name (hopefully someone else can chime in!) but there's a very talented young girl who's doing the jumpers with just one arm. I think she's even shown at WEF.

(I finished my M.A. in Journalism back in December, so I feel your pain. Good luck! )
    I don't know if she does the jumpers; but do you mean Lizzie Traband?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I don't know if she does the jumpers; but do you mean Lizzie Traband?
    Yeah, and I'm pretty sure I saw a video of her doing the jumpers at WEF? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfkF4f4CHEU - There it is; she rode with Louise Serio.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl View Post
    A good friend of mine in Arizona is classified as a Para rider, and even competed in the CPEDI at Del Mar a couple of years ago. However, she is first and foremost a jumper rider and has been talking to Para riders in the UK about getting the jumpers recognized as a Para event in the US. I can put you in touch with her if you are interested.
    That would be fantastic! She sounds like just the person I'm looking for. You can email her contact information to me or you can just let her know that she can reach me at lpandell@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

Also, thank you all for pointing me toward Lizzie Traband! I'll try to get in touch with her or her trainer.