The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

your welcome Snidgie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Will keep an eye out for more updates [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<< "Think of riding as a science, but love it as an art." George Morris >>
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

I happen to work (director, corporate communication) for a specialized healthcare company that specializes in the treatment of traumatic brain injury.

Brain injury is very odd - your brain doesn't "regenerate" or "heal" in the sense that other organs do. It's quite literally just gray matter, and once the damage is done, the "healing" comes from the person actually having to "relearn." It can be a long hard road, but the outcome can often be really impressive, depending on the severity of the injury.

I would highly recommend someone pass this along to Miss D's brother ... make sure, once she's medically stable, that she is sent to a post-acute treatment facility that specializes in TBI. I will be happy to speak directly to her brother/family, and of course must recommend our facility here in Arkansas, as the outcome is spectacular.

Also, hippotherapy will probably be the key to Miss D's recovery, when she wakes up. Make sure you push for that! Horses are healers - we all know that!

Best to you,

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Robby, you're a good man. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Robby you are wonderful [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Has anyone mentioned what Robby said to anyone yet? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Zim> I tried to send it to D's bro but it seems his e-mail address doesn't exist so I resent it to her sister today. Along with Robby's website and address. Could you make sure she gets it if you see her anytime soon?

Miss D's Brother Rob Guest

Hi everyone,

Yes Dina can now have visitors. But please remember that she gets tired very very easy.

Also everyone should also be aware that Dina is still in a coma even though she can open here eyes and move her arms. When her eyes are closed she is sleeping. Dina has rated as high as 10 on the Coma scale most days she is a 7 or 8 have a look at the following web sites for information on the coma scale.
    http://www.medstudents.com.br/neuro/neuro4.htm
    http://www.biact.org/infartcl/glasgow.html

We are sure she is some what aware of her surroundings although she does not react to commands. So if you ask her something most likely she will not respond but we are told she does hear you, so please be careful what you say around her and please try not to be emotional in the room with her. I know it is hard not to be emotional when you first see her. So if you have to just walk into the hall for a break.

Also (i'm going to blame this on her parents) Dina has had a hair cut on Saturday, so don't think you are in the wrong room when you see her with a brush cut.

At first the doctor's wanted as little stimulation as possible until her brain stop swelling. But now they would like to start stimulating her a little at a time about 5 - 10 minutes for every hour or so. We are trying to stimulate all of her senses touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight. With the sight there is not must we can do yet as she can not see yet. For taste right now it is just tooth paste and mouth wash as she can not swallow very well yet. For smell we will start bringing things in, including horse smelling items.

I am sure she would love to see as many of you as possible but please only a few people at a time. Visitation at the hospital is between 10 am and 9 pm with a rest period from 1 pm until 2:30 pm. She is in room 740 of the civic campus of the Ottawa Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario,Canada.

Tin sorry about the email address I will fix it the one here works .

[This message was edited by Miss D's Brother Rob on Feb. 28, 2002 at 02:04 PM.]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Thank you for that update, Rob. Miss D is lucky to have such a wonderful brother.

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with all of you, and I am happy to hear some positive news. I'm sure having visits from some of her friends will definitely be beneficial for her. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*