The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventer at Jumper Show - nonmember fee??

Am I totally making this up? I can't find anything in the rule book - in eventing, jumping, or general rules, but I was certain I saw something sometime that said - the USHJA recognized USEA membership and would waive the non-member fee at USEF recognized jumper shows. Does anyone know - was this true at one time or am I just totally wrong? Going to a jumper show on Wednesday and trying to figure out the entry form.
    Thanks!
    If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or you asked the question wrong.
    www.golightlysporthorses.com
    www.golightlysporthorses.blogspot.com/

You have to pay the USEF non-member fee unless you are a member. If you are a member of the USEA then you don't have to pay the USHJA fee.

Used to be true but I don't think it is any more.

Call USHJA or USEF and check.

Also, if your horse was not "grandfathered" by having a lifetime USEF registration, you will have to pay a USHJA horse registration fee too.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

hummm... no line for horse registration fee (though there is a line for his registration number - he's USEF registered, not good enough, eh??). There's a line for USEF non-member (no problem - I'm a member), and USHJA. And I thought this would be simple! Okay, maybe I'll give USEA a call and see if they know what's up.
    Thanks!
    Cherie
    If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or you asked the question wrong.

Janet's right - use to be if you were a member of USEA you didn't have to join USHJA at USEF recognized shows but that is no longer the case. Not sure about horse registrations - mine has USEF, USHJA and USEA

hummm... no line for horse registration fee (though there is a line for his registration number - he's USEF registered, not good enough, eh??).
    Depends on what kind of USEF registration he has (lifetime is the only one that helps), and whether he had it when USHJA started their own horse registration.

There is no non-member fee option for the horse, which is why it isn't on the entry form. The horse HAS to have the USHJA number. That is how they track elegibility for "green", etc.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Update:
    Thanks for everyone's help. I am now an official member of the USHJA (looked like I would have to pay the $30 non-member fee 3 times as owner, rider, trainer - which made the $70 membership fee sound not so bad). And my horse is also registered with the USHJA. However, turns out, I should have somehow registered him via the USEF site instead of the USHJA site as they use the USEF number as their own number - but now he's been issued two numbers which I have to contact USEF about consolidating. AGH!

So, hundreds of dollars later... we did our two USEF jumper rounds. First round, picked up a stop - someday I'll learn to DO SOMETHING when I know we're not coming in right. All other 10 fences were fabulous! Second round, absolutely lovely clear round over all ten fences, plus the eleventh fence. Eliminated. Off course. Apparently the course included only fences 1-10, and the jump off ened with fence 11. Seriously??? What can you do but laugh at yourself?!?