The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question For those of you who braid at events...

What sort of braids do you use? Silly question, but if I can avoid doing a bazillion little hunter braids, I would be truly ecstatic!

I don't braid at events, but I posted a thread in the dressage forum about braiding a thick mane. A lot of people suggested button braids. For a thick mane it works better than hunter braids but in your case it would simply mean you don't have to make as many.

Button braids are so much quicker. I can do a mane on a huge horse with a thick mane in 20 minutes.

Button braids!

If you have a nice, easy mane on a horse whose not a rubber, you can just use bands. Braid down, slap a band on, fold in half once, slap a band on, then fold over once more, wrap the band around and your done, usually in about 20 minutes!

If you are not so lucky and have a thick, hard-to-manage mane on a horse who is a certified braid killer like me, then you'll probably have to sew them in with a needle and thread. Once you get good at that, it'll only take 30-40 minutes depending on how many braids you put in although there's a small learning curve with this method. But if you do it right, nothing short of a nuclear explosion will make those braids fall out!

If you have a longer mane you can also do what some people call "eventing knots." Those will come out looking like buttons. You braid down with the yarn as if you were doing a hunter braid, then literally tie the braid around itself into a knot. Then you simply pull it up with a pullthrough and secure it.

Thanks!! This horse has a thin/manageable mane, so even hunter braids wouldn't be the absolute worst, but I like the sounds of these buttons!

Here is how I braid. It takes me about 15 minutes with rubberbands or 25 with waxed thread (due to rethreading) and puts about 9 braids in the average mane (with 10 being the forelock).

Take one of those metal pulling combs and section out the mane using the width as your template. Rubberband each section. Spray each section with QuicBraid or spray gel and braid down, looping the end up when you do the band around the last 2 or 3 times.

To put them up with rubberbands, fold the braid in half then roll tightly and secure with 2 rubberbands.

To put them up with waxed thread, have your needle threaded to about half an arms length and knotted at the end. Put the need through the loop at the bottom of the braid and then back through the loop of thread. This will tie the thread in. Sew up through the top of the braid at the base of the neck and then back down. Roll the half braid up tightly to the neck and sew back and forth through the middle and bottom of the braid roll about 4 times. Cut thread.

I've braided at three days this way, and it works really well! The thread makes them sit really nice, and isn't that hard to do. Rubberbands are quicker though!

definitely button braids.
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

I'm convinced!

CatchMeIfUCan, thanks for the instructions When you roll the braid, do you roll under or over?

Under!

Back when I used to braid, I did button braids but I used to challenge myself to get the least amount of braids as possible Now I roach and it is just soooo much easier!

Fifteen button braids, with rubber bands. 20 minutes. Pop 'em out on the hack back from dressage.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Fifteen button braids, with rubber bands. 20 minutes. Pop 'em out on the hack back from dressage.
    And then wet the mane down when you get back to the trailer so your horse doesn't look like a tool with his poofy mane.

I always use to use elastics...then I tried this method;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuvuvbGlDY

Braids are so much nicer and with practice takes no time at all!

You can have a slightly longer and thicker mane for this also.

Button braids, as shown in this video from EN. I vary the number of braids depending on how much time I have, or how important the event is. For the big shows and 3 days, I'll take my time and get about 20 small, neat buttons in about 40 minutes. For an 8am novice ride time, I'll throw in 12 big chunky ones in 20min.

I love the security of sewn-in braids...I've never had one come out, despite some serious rubbing. If I have to braid the night before, I can just brush the shavings and dust right out. The braids look just as good several hours later for show jumping, if left in after dressage.

I really enjoy braiding. I like the immediate "face lift" it gives a horse, showing off a well-muscled neck and topline. It's been a nice bonding time for my mare and I over the years, I can't begin to add up the hours I've spent bent over her neck braiding. And she's learned to enjoy it, she'll stand halterless, untied, in the stall, perfectly still until I finish...it almost puts her in a trance. It allows me to focus on what I need to do for the weekend, plan my warmup, review my test, etc.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

button braids, 11 or 12 total. 10-12 minutes with rubberbands, 20 with yarn or waxed thread (which I have only done for the two-three days I did years ago or for other people).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Oh my gosh, the video from EN looks like it would take forever. I use the Dutton way of braiding. 20 minutes, tops.

When I braid I do yarn... and yes I do hunter style braids but I DO NOT to 500 of them lol. I probably do something like 24.. takes me 30 minutes at most. My button braids always look like crap so I go with what I can do that looks best. I also find the yarn so much easier to take out than the waxed thread.
    The Dutton way of doing it interesting though (and they use yarn!!)... so I may have to try it!!

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    Oh my gosh, the video from EN looks like it would take forever. I use the Dutton way of braiding. 20 minutes, tops.
    Ditto. I've used the Dutton way the past few events I've been to and it is very simple and looks really nice - plus it actually works better with a slightly longer/thicker mane (as compared to hunter braids). My last event, I received several compliments on how lovely my braids were.

Here is the video I used to learn it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuvu...eature=related

To make things even quicker in the morning, I braid "down" the night before and put one of the stretch hoods on (like this one).
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I also use the 'Dutton way' and can braid up in just over twenty minutes with 15 braids. The princess has a long, delicate neck so I don't usually go too big with braids, they look funny on her. I always get complements on how they come out. It does take a slightly longer mane (less pulling, yay!) so not recommended for a really short mane. I've found that they're not as stable as the sewn in button braids, so for special occasions or if she'll need to wear the braids for awhile I sew them in with waxed thread.

Thanks goodness she doesn't rub.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Button braids, but my w/s and I learned a way using waxed thread that involves no 'braiding in' and no knot-tying.... It is awesome. Maybe I should post a video on YouTube so everyone can compare.....

W/s braided my colt for a show a week ago and those suckers are still in tight (I usually leave braids in for xc). But they are really easy to rip out, too.

Jennifer