The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Household Pet Vets or anyone with experience w/ blocked cats- Advice?

Hello all,

I wrote several weeks ago on here about my cat displaying symptoms of a UTI and then discovering him to be blocked. He was catheterized over night and came back "good as new." He had a decreased appetite for a bit, but after a week or so was back to his crazy self. Yesterday morning I left for work and he had ravenously eaten his food, per usual, and was sweet and affectionate and his normal self. When I walked in the door that evening I could immediately tell he was blocked again. Took him to emergency vet again, catheterized again etc... Relocated him this morning to his regular vet as the ER won't keep him during the day and he is happy to be cleared, but I am so nervous of this happening again. I know that some cats just have a propensity for this and that there is a potentially (PU maybe?) surgery that could help, but, like all vet surgeries, it would be extremely expensive. So I elected to just have him cleared again and I am switching him to prescription Hill's bladder food and I have also gotten a Feliway (?) per the vet's suggestion to keep him from getting stressed. If I can keep him healthy for 6 months, I can get him insured as well (Side note: PET INSURANCE IS VERY CHEAP, GET IT WHILE YOUR PET IS HEALTHY!). My question is - how often does a diet change really do the trick or is surgery really my only option?

Thoughts, prayers and jingles please.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you feeding him wet only food or some dry? I'd go for wet only if you can.

Also give him distilled water, my vet recommends that. Good luck.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Thanks - he is on all wet food but I am going to move him to a prescription food.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which wet food is/was he on?

He was on fancy feast - the first vet I saw recommended it. Just got off the phone with vet and we are gonna put him on Royal Canin's. I'm doing some research and it seems promising that it can help. I really want to avoid the PU surgery if at all possible. Any luck with Canin's
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it were my kitty, I'd switch to Wellness canned, which is grain-free.

Go for canned food only. I recommend either the prescription urinary food, evo, or wellness with preference for evo. With a second obstruction, you're likely looking at a lot of scarring. One important question was how hard was he to unblock and how narrow is his urethra. If you can swing it, I'd suggestive having a PU done while he's stable as opposed to when he's obstructed and they can't unblock him.

How much diet is going to help depends on his reason for blocking. If he has crystals then diet makes a big difference, if it is all infection or sterile cystitis then any canned food is best. With cystitis the more you can do to increase water consumption and there fore dilute out the urine the better.

My personal rule for doing a PU is three strikes and it's out. But make sure a radiograph has been done to check for stones first.

If a male car has had 2 infections this close together I would do a culture and sensitivity as well to make sure it is being treated and cleared appropriately.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

My cat has been on the Royal Canin RX food for two years since he blocked. He has not blocked again (knock on wood!) and the vet says his urine pH is perfect. His blockage was due to struvite crystals.

My cat has thankfully not been blocked, but he does suffer from UTI's, struvite crystals, and alkaline urine.

After trying about a bazillion Rx cat foods, Rx urinary acidifiers, and a few other things that didn't help at all (including Evo 95% meat canned food, and Wellness wet food), we're finally making some progress on a combination of Wysong canned rabbit, their "Call of the Wild" cat vitamin, biotic pH-, and 200mg of Ammonil 3x a day.

The best piece of advice I can give you if you go the diet route is to have a urinalysis done frequently and regularly at least until you figure out what works for your kitty. We go through loads of no-sorb around here, and the vet clinic staff recognizes me when I bring in the pee in a cup because I do it all the freaking time.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I would go with a prescription diet based on his sediment type. Most cats have calcium oxalates, but not all. In this case, "grain free" wet foods dont necessarily alter the pH to help with the prevention of these crystals where a prescription food does (royal canin does). I have seen cats on wet evo,wellness etc. block (however if you are insistant in grain free, the wet foods are much better than dry). If the blockage is due to cystitis, than brand of wet food is prettymuch irrelevent. You would likely want to add glucosamine as this has proven results in preventing cysitis. If its just bladder sediment and a tiny urethera than the PU surgery maybe the best option, or if he fails to respond to medical management.