The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The most futile question ever!

I am presenting my TB mare to a GOV inspection in August.

She has a err... noble head. She won't get top points for feminity.

I found out that the best way to make her head look more feminine was to go for a bridle without a noseband.

Now, I think a black bridle looks quite plain, so I want to add a special browband to spruce her up.

What do you think looks best? A V or a curved with crystals or just a plain with crystals or a clincher?

I warned you this was a futile question!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I presented a 3yr old mare last year that had a rather "Noble" head, lol!!! What looked best on her was plain black with a V browband. The bling just draws attention to the head. I wasn't sure about the V, but when we put it on her it made a big difference. She scored a "7" for her head

I honestly think it could make the head look worse without a noseband. It actually draws my attention more to the shape of the head since something is missing (in my mind anyway).

As the previous poster said, try out a V browband sans bling.

It would really depend on your mare's color and facial markings. This is a Peopleonhorses Hampton browband
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...46265789272146

on Sophie who is kinda plain and built like a brick pizzaria otherwise.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I find the V browband quite ugly usually lol!! And I'm with Thoroughbred fancy about the fact that no noseband can make the head look worst, or at least bigger. But what is very very ugly is a big head with tiny tiny noseband.

I've always found that the more traditionnal it is, the more beautiful it looks. I'd go with a dressage bridle, black, with traditionnal browband (with cristal or clincher or something cute) and a padded, mid-sized noseband.

Same bridle, 2 different mares with very different heads (dark bay one has a pretty head, but not so refined, being out of a Graphit/Gotthard mare, and lighter bay has a lot of trakehner blood and head is much more refined):
    http://www.autumnsstables.com/img2/weingrafin_02.jpg
    http://www.autumnsstables.com/img2/serenti_05.jpg

The browband is an Otto Schumacher, with a simple black, glossy plastic insert.

The more the bling, the more the head will be the focus.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I wouldn't be concerned at all about trying to "spruce" up a mare by adding a blingy browband. The inspectors are there to evaluate horses on their own merits, and not by whether they are wearing sparkly bridles, etc.

Will add that, IMHO, a mare with a noble head usually looks best in a plain black bridle with standard cavesson and standard browband - i.e., no bling, and definitely not white padding. Many folks try to avoid cavessons that have a loop for a flash attachment, and instead use the cavesson from a double bridle, but not everyone has a double cavesson so they use what they have. Again, the inspectors really don't care, as long as the bridle fits the horse.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have tried several nosebands and NONE make her look good.

Seriously.

She doesn't have a big head (heck, she wears a cob sized bridle!) or even a convex profile, it's just... not Arabey.

Here's a shot of her head: http://www.equusmagnificus.ca/breedi...-2011/?pid=183

Spike, I have a bridle very similar to yours and the large crank noseband looks gigantic on her.

I love the curved browbands, the V seems a bit more extreme, doesn't it?

LOL! My, I hope this thread lighten up everyone's day. Here we are, discussing something as mondain as a browband!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

personally i think she has a lovely head if it were me, i would use a plain black or dark brown bridle with a medium sized noseband, but i would keep the noseband high, instead of lower. i think that will give a nicer optical affect.

Why not use a hunter bridle ?
    I think she would look great in a dark brown classic hunter bridle.
    I do think brown fits better with chestnut than black.

My opinion is that the "noble" head looks better broken up with a noseband of some sort -- but it has to be in the right place. The photo you posted of her with the halter on has it exactly in the WORST possible place a noseband could be -- it really accentuates the non-positive attributes, but in the right place could be of benefit.

If her head is not her best feature I would not draw attention to it with bling.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Monaco View Post
    Why not use a hunter bridle ?
    I think she would look great in a dark brown classic hunter bridle.
    I do think brown fits better with chestnut than black.
    THIS ^^
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

Otherwise, the Dutch WB horse I used to ride has this kind of noble head with a straiter nose. A plain black dressage bridle with higher nose band fits him well enough!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4839143_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._2086586_n.jpg
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

That is not a "noble" head it is just a head suited to her size. The shape is lovely. You are just looking for something to worry about. I would worry instead about her moving promptly into her best gait and travelling straight with her butt under her. She is a nice mare. Quit picking on her head. PatO

Any cob size head is a good head! She's classy, don't bling it up, IMO.

The inspectors I have seen want to see a correct and HEALTHY head- as in large, wide set eyes, big nostrils, mouth that could carry two bits, etc. I do not think they want teeny, tiny super dishy Arab heads on our WBs...

colombus, your post made me laugh. I know I am being silly. It's just the first time I encounter a horse I am having a hard time fitting into a bridle and looking pretty? It's just an odd thing. Plus, I can fuss over her head all I want, that, I can't change, I can, as you said, make sure she'll move proprely though.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Her head is fine. It's certainly not an ugly head.

Use a standard bridle (black is very nice against chestnuts). Make sure the noseband is within 2 fingers of cheek ridge. A low noseband makes a long face look longer and that is exactly what her halter is doing in that particular picture you showed. So, make sure the noseband is up higher.

A moderate width noseband looks good on a horse's head like yours. Too wide seems to emphasize a big head and too narrow looks silly.
    You perfectly explained it rodawn! My "dressage" bridle with a crank noseband just look clunky, while a plain hunter bridle with a narrow noseband looks... weird. Ack!

I will add to the silliness, I personnally think her head is absolutely gorgeous. I find she has a very classic look, think old Hanoverian line? Chestnut too... I love this mare.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

And yet, another shot of a halter that needs an extra hole...

I guess though that all this talk means that I need a new bridle. I was hoping to avoid that, but at the same time, she's going back under saddle so might as well get one just for "her"!

I am going with black, I think it is gorgeous on chestnut as well, but mainly because my saddle is black too.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

As it turns out, the solution was bling browband, no noseband:

http://equusmagnificus.wordpress.com...e-m/dscf8101x/

www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Congratulations on the MMB status and the premium colt award!
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Hey nice logo
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Thank you rodawn! I am bursting with pride. She looked pretty and behaved like the angel that she is! Her colt though... Ugh. I can't wait until weaning I think, someone is getting way too cocky.

Thanks retrofit about the logo, it's our very own Cataluna's extraordinary work!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca