The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for hunter/jumper trainer in Edmonton(area)

Hi,

I've recently taken a break from riding but I want to get back into it seriously. I reached the capability of the lease horses at my old barn pretty quickly and didn't find that I was learning very much in lessons.

Ive suffered too many unprofessional trainers that have abused my horse. I'm looking for a barn with a friendly atmosphere but still good professionalism. When so much money is involved, a decent amount of professionalism is necessary!

I'm looking for a much more competitive program; A-circuit level. I don't have a horse but I am ready to lease or buy and my parents are on board.

If anyone can suggest a trainer that would be great!I'm planning on doing jumpers. I am stuck with no connections to trainers

I am not in Edmonton but did use Heather Archer for a show coach when my trainer wasn't going to an Edmonton show. I think she would be a great trainer. Not sure what barn she is at or how her program works but I think you'd get a lot out of her.

Any preference of which side of Edmonton ?? Can check with a couple friends to see who they recommend.

P.

South or west would be preferable but if it's a good trainer that's not much of an issue for me; as long as they aren't hours out of the city!
    Thanks for the help!

If you can afford them and like to do a lot of shows and the jumpers, I highly recommend Dayton Gorsline and Lisa Carlson (cannot for the life of me think of their barn name at the moment)! .

There's also Dayton's sister, Judy Gorsline who runs Gorsline farms. They have jumpers and hunters, and she is at all the big shows.

If you are more geared toward hunters, medals and equitiation then probably Lynn Macyk at Caladonia Stables would be a good bet.

All of the above, do travel to away shows but probably Lisa and Dayton travel the most and the farthest.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I trained with Sue Morin, who by now has opened her own place:
    http://www.horizonfarms.ca/

She pushes you as hard as your goals dictate. I was non-competitive and just wanted to ride better, but her competitive riders do well from what I know.

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot

I'll definitely keep Sue Morrin in mind, she's just a little far, out by Stony Plain. Lisa Carlsen and Dayton Gorsline sound good too, I'll have to find a way to contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper27 View Post
    Thanks everyone! That helps a lot

I'll definitely keep Sue Morrin in mind, she's just a little far, out by Stony Plain. Lisa Carlsen and Dayton Gorsline sound good too, I'll have to find a way to contact them.
    Remembered that Dayton and Lisa barn is called "Trademark Stables"

Just a quick question. I've boarded at a really competitive barn before and with full board+training, I was running at about $1400-$1800/month. You guys have said Trademark is expensive, would it be in this range or higher(for board + training)? I'm not sure I could do much higher than that and I don't want to pursue it if I know that I can't. Any more seems too high for my level.

Just a quick question. I've boarded at a really competitive barn before and with full board+training, I was running at about $1400-$1800/month. You guys have said Trademark is expensive, would it be in this range or higher(for board + training)? I'm not sure I could do much higher than that and I don't want to pursue it if I know that I can't. Any more seems too high for my level.
    I don't really know what they charge for training and board but I assume it will be quiet high. They have many riders that compete 4ft6 and bigger so they are a very very accomplished barn. I would say board and training "may" run around the $2,000/month area but just give them a call....they won't bite, I promise!

I second Heather Archer I rode with her when she was training at sunrise (now maple leaf meadows, which has done a complete makeover on the stable, they do have a website and are just on the outside of west Ed)

Defiantly Lisa or Dayton at Trademark! They are just around the corner from myself. And is a very competitive barn.

I not sure who is training at blarney Stone anymore, I believe Sherry Anderson still owns the place and she was one of my favorites. Blarney Stone is just off highway 60, again west of Edmonton, all three barns are minutes away from each other.

Good luck!

Where did you used to ride showjumper27?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Where did you used to ride showjumper27?
    I've ridden more public but still competitive barns, prefer not to name them.

I couldn't find any barn that Heather Archer teaches at. I found a Val Archer who teaches out of Southbrook Farms but I couldn't find any contact info.

I've ridden more public but still competitive barns, prefer not to name them.

I couldn't find any barn that Heather Archer teaches at. I found a Val Archer who teaches out of Southbrook Farms but I couldn't find any contact info.
    Val is Heather's sister and I believe that they are both coaching out of Southbrook Farms. Sorry... I don't have the contact info for either of them, though. I rode with Val for about 3 years, about 5 years ago and I thought she was a fantastic coach. I would recommend her to anyone! The Archer family has a long history of involvement in the 'horse world' in the Edmonton area. Heather is also very good, although I don't have much first hand experience with her(maybe a lesson or two over the years). Sue Morin is definitely someone to check out as well--- she rode with Val (and Heather) for her junior and amateur careers and seems to be developing a great program. I have been away from Alberta for long enough that I have no idea what any of them would have available for in barn leases, but certainly worth contacting.

Thanks so much everyone! I've got to decide between Lynn Macyk, Lisa Carlsen or Dayton Gorsline, Sue Morin and Heather or Val Archer...They all sound good! I'll probably call a few, hopefully they aren't at the summer series at spruce.

I sent you a PM and may send you another one in a bit.

I believe Lisa and Dayton run/own trademark together. Good luck in your search!