The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nose Nets: USEF legal?

I've been using a hairnet as a nose net on my headshaker lease horse. We're going to a show this weekend and I was wondering as to the legality of a nose net in the hunter ring. Could I leave it on in the ring or do I have to take it off after schooling?

What I have done the past several years is write in advance to the show secretary asking for permission to use a muzzle net. The first time I did this I was asked to bring a note from my vet... Subsequent show secretaries have made the same request. With the exception of one show, I have not had a problem, but I consider myself very lucky. I also never take it for granted that I will be allowed to use the muzzle net and I always write to ask for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by lintesia View Post
    What I have done the past several years is write in advance to the show secretary asking for permission to use a muzzle net. The first time I did this I was asked to bring a note from my vet... Subsequent show secretaries have made the same request. With the exception of one show, I have not had a problem, but I consider myself very lucky. I also never take it for granted that I will be allowed to use the muzzle net and I always write to ask for permission.
    If it's a USEF rated show the secretary can't make that call. In a hunter class the judge may consider it non standard tack and eliminate the horse.

In a jumper class it won't make a difference.

Interpretation of the rules is up to the steward and the judge.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Totally depends on the judge. I know of two who will not score you with it on, while most don't care. We used to switch to one of those really fine drugstore type hairnets just be fore we went in the ring. With the two judges I knew wouldn't score it, I just took it off and hoped for the best!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I think you will find more than just a few judges who may consider it unconventional equipment in the hunter ring, especially at the upper levels.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

I would take it off. A lot of head shakers actually don't head shake when in the ring jumping. Do you know if this is the case with your lease horse? If you are not sure, you could test it out at home.

Here's what I did with my head shaking junior hunter in the late 90s (he was a photic head shaker, which may make a difference): Any time he was out of his stall at shows (walking, lunging, schooling, waiting ringside, etc.) he would wear a fly mask to shield his eyes from the sun. This mostly eliminated his head shaking while the mask was on, although not completely. Just as I went into the ring, my trainer would remove his fly mask and I would get into the ring and pick up the canter as soon as possible and get his mind on his first jump ASAP. For whatever reason, when he was jumping (and in between jumps), he rarely ever shook his head. I have found this to be true of a lot of head shakers, but particularly photic head shakers.

As his head shaking worsened, I did stop putting him in the hacks because the head shaking was absolutely terrible in the hacks without the mask.

we have never had an issue with the headshaker we did in the Jr hunters at many AA rated shows. we used a hairnet though, instead of a nose net you buy from a tack shop.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

As a side note, I have seriously never been able to use a hairnet as a nose net effectively. It always seems to end in a ripped hairnet and a horse attempting to eat the remains of the hairnet. Perhaps I am just hairnet-as-nose-net compromised? I don't think it is an ineptitude with hairnets generally, as I don't have problems executing perfect hunter hair every single day.

I was one of the first, if not the first person to use one in the NY CT area on my horse UFO. 90% of the time I would school in it and take it off right before I walked into the ring and he would be fine for the 2 minutes in the ring. We would rub his nose with a damp towel between classes and he would usually be fine. If it was a particularly windy day or I was doing the hunters as a schooling division for the eq I would usually leave it on. He placed in the hunters and the eq at most shows we went to. Only once did a judge approach me after a hack and said she didn't mind the net but some judges may find it unconventional and may mark off for it. Flat classes were the worst with out it but he placed often in the adult eq in WEF wearing his net so it really isn't a big deal to most judges.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    If it's a USEF rated show the secretary can't make that call. In a hunter class the judge may consider it non standard tack and eliminate the horse.

In a jumper class it won't make a difference.

Interpretation of the rules is up to the steward and the judge.
    Yes, but it isn't "correct" to write to the judge.

I would expect the secretary to check with the judge before replying to the question.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have heard a judge say "no it's unconventional" when asked and I've also heard them to allow it if it's extremely buggy! Best bet is to ask a steward as he can approach a judge or just take it off just before you enter the ring. You're in there for all of a minute, hopefully your horse could get around without it for that little amount of time?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    I have heard a judge say "no it's unconventional" when asked and I've also heard them to allow it if it's extremely buggy! Best bet is to ask a steward as he can approach a judge or just take it off just before you enter the ring. You're in there for all of a minute, hopefully your horse could get around without it for that little amount of time?
    I've also seen people use them in the schooling ring and take them off right before they go in the show ring. Perhaps that would be the best compromise?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I know it is jumpers, but Mario Deslauriers competes Cella with a nose net. At the Royal, he explained that it was like her safety blanket!! I just saw her tonight competing at Spruce Meadows with a nose net.

out of curiosity, what does the nose net do? how does it stop head shaking?

Quote Originally Posted by rapazzini09 View Post
    out of curiosity, what does the nose net do? how does it stop head shaking?
    For some headshakers it blocks the trigger that makes the trigeminal nerve start to fire randomly. (The actual head shaking is the pain response to the nerve firing.) It's similar to putting a finger under your nose to block a sneeze, or at least that's how it's been described to me.

what I do is to ask the ring master to ask the judge. It is super rare for them to say no, but then I am showing in un-rated hunter divisions and Eq.

I've shown in the AA's at rated shows with a nose net but my horse was gray with a naturally dark muzzle so I don't think it was that noticeable. Never had a problem with the judges not scoring us. We also did the fly mask in the schooling ring (and at home) and that seemed to help. I also have never been able to successfully use a hair net as a nose net!

Hair net really only works on a full cheek

My jr/ao horse wore a net and most of the time I would ask the secretary at the show to ask the judge; if it was an issue we hoped and prayed for the best, but most judges were ok with it. And he jumped a 10 so it was worth the hassle!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Hair net really only works on a full cheek
    Ah! That must be my issue! Never rode in a full cheek. Was always trying to attach the hairnet to the noseband in some weird way. LOL! I was always like, "What the heck? No one can seriously tell me they are able to make this work!"

Default Nose nets for head shakers

They are currently permitted in Dressage and Eventing Dressage, with a veterinary diagnosis of head shaking syndrome. It requires the submission of a letter from a vet and application for a Presidential Modification. I don't know if H/J Committee would approve it, but you could try it.
    Malcolm Hook