The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

I'm in Germany this week, and just returned this evening to Mr Hobson's parents' house from 5 idyllic days bicycling through unbearably cute countryside. When we changed trains in Cologne we heard vague rumors about something happening to the world trade center...just finished watching the CNN reports and I'm dumbfounded. Watching the reports from here, it seems like a bizarre dream, except that I can't imagine I'll be able to fly home on Friday as scheduled. To think about the people injured and killed, it's heartbreaking.

turn on channel 7... now they say that Afganistan has been bombed?!?

CNN--Explosions in Kabul, Afghanistan.

TT my Dad who said that fighters are taking off from Dayton, Ohio producing sonic booms which skeeered everybody. Like we need more skeeery stuff.

Anyway, FWIW

Midge- I saw RodeoGirl last week @ Clemson. She's fine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My observations, being someone who has studied quite a bit of terrorism/political science/etc-

It is most likely, in my opinion, that this was not an attack of an entire nation. (in other words- its not Palestine) I think this because of the fact that the countries issued statements saying hey... we think this is horrible.. we send our condolences. Granted anyone can lie. BUT. In all reality it doesnt take that many people to hijack a plane. One to four at the most.. if you think about it.

The lack of security @ our airports is frightening. Why in the world can someone get on a plane with a knife of any kind? even a pocketknife. I think it is safe to say that most likely you will not need it desperately during your flight. I believe that in the next few years our country will see quite a few changes as to how easily we get on flights. Obviously, the system we had until now didnt work for us.

We have to hope that through this the country's leaders can see that HUMINT is crucial to our survival as a country and more money and resources will be put towards its betterment within the next few years.

Why were we not more aware that an attack of this kind was iminent? Threats of this kind are made fairly often. Whos to determine whats real and whats bogus? THAT is where HUMINT resources become crucial. But how do we get to the inside of it all? Practice Practice Practice.

Of course this is a declaration of war. But we have to ask, by who? It is unlikely that the major players in this act are still alive to allow for the US to stage a retaliation. Most of them probably gave their lives for their cause on the plane. So do I think they'll ever even find the people that did it? Most likely not.

That is unless it is Bin Laden. But you have to ask yourself whether you think one person could conjure up such a thing. It looks to me as though whoever did this knew of his warnings and thought that people would immediately look to him, making it an excellent coverup. He is presently known as the biggest threat to the US. But I still dont think that it was him.

Do I think its over? My gut feeling tells me yes. But then again, anyone trying ot make a big statement on the US could be planning the same thing for a week from now. Could it be that they want to make us as miserable as many of those Middle Eastern countries? Maybe so.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Move to where?? Running and hiding won't stop terrorists. First it is the US then what next? Canada? Mexico? European countries? Don't be a coward. Some things (life liberty the persuit of happiness) ARE worth dying for...check out Arlington Cemetary..ask a vet....Freedom comes with a high pricetag.

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

1 members found this post helpful.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I just spoke to my friend who is staying in a hotel across the street from the Pentagon.
    She was touring the White House. with her 80 year old mother when this happened and they were screamed at to run out of the White House and get as far away as possible, RIGHT NOW!!!
    When they stopped to catch their breath they heard the airplane crash.
    It took them all day to walk from the White House to Georgetown and find a way back to their hotel.
    They are standed there for another week and thinking about renting a car and driving home.
    I am glad I got a chance to speak with her.

I would rather live in exile with a loved one, than be able to pursue my happiness while alone.

I don't believe in war. Said and done. If I was a coward, would I be worried about my friends/relatives? I think not.

Im sorry, but I don't think anyone truly knows how terrible war is unless you have lived through it. Maybe that's why my grandfather started crying today on the phone. Or why my grandma today brought out all the old pictures of her brothers that died in the war to weep over.

It's a terrible thing, am I a coward for fearing it? Or are YOU are coward for wanting it?

~Insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting different results~

This is just insane. I've been in a daze at school all day thinking about it, and I've had the radio on the whole time I've been at home. And i don't even live in the US! I can't IMAGINE how terrible it must be for those of you who live in Washington/NY area. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Does anyone know about the casualty number, I've heard people saying anywhere from 1000 to 50,000 all day. That is just shocking. I am also praying that there will be no war. That is one of the scariest things I can think of, and if the "terrorist" was a country I can totally see the US going to war.

I never imagined that I would see such a tragedy in my life.

Aleesha

I was in total shock when I heard about this in school. Didn't even get any real details until about 11:30 in history class. Then I get home to find out that my aunt-to-be was 2 miles from the DC explosion!!! I seriously hope that there's no war. Who knows what would happen then. Prayers to all the victims and their families. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The bombings in Afgblahblah (sorry I can't spell,LOL)were not from US planes or anything of the sort.

Laura & Uno
    http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/thoroughlybredtb/main

There is a summary of today's events and a call for discussion on Catchride.com. Just passing this on.

**~~Emily~~** proud
    member of the junior clique!
    Emily@catchride.com

left school early to watch the news. This is just awful and surreal, I can't even try to explain the feelings I'm having right now as I'm sure many share them with me.

I feel so helpless; like all I can do it sit here and wait and let what ever happen, happen. It's an awful feeling however I can't imagine actually being there or having loved ones in the NYC.

My friend was suppose to have been in NYC for the weekend and sometimes he stays there for a full week. I still haven't been able to get a hold of him, hopefully he is safe in Toronto at work.

No more fancy free borders crosses anymore, full car checks are in effect and expected to carry on for a long time even when all of this is over (if it ends). My dad works at a new station and their live by truck almost didn't get acroos the border because one of the camera guys didn't have his visa with him (they had to turn back and get it).

This is just so devistation and unbelievable, almost like I'm watching a movie. What the hell is this world coming to that we have to kill 10's of thousands of inocent people to prove a point or show dominance, I thought we had evolved.

My prayers go to Barbara Olsen's husband, her bravery helped us put a little of the puzzle together and I do believe one of her last things to say was "tell me what to do".
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

Imagine:
    Plane hijacked
    Plane hijacked
    Plane hijacked
    Plane hijacked
    North tower hit
    South tower hit
    North tower collapses
    South tower collapses
    Pentagon hit
    Plane crash outside Pittsburgh

This turned out to be a reeeeally lousy day for America. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

JoHn (WiNgLeT)

"A horse runs with his legs, competes with his heart, and performs with his soul."
    -Tesio
    Look at my ultra cool site! www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

I'm crying again just reading these threads... the absolute panic so many of you expressed throughout the day is really hitting home for me.

Thank you Supahstar, for those words... Love all, forgive all. Please, no more talk about retaliation and hatred. The last thing we need right now is more evil like that.

I will be praying tonight, as I'm sure many of you will be. I'm scared and saddened and feel very alone, but somehow it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one.

If there is any night we need to get along, this is it. Please, let's put our differences to rest and stop the arguments for the time being...

it is mind boggling when it finally hits home isn't it? I kept watching television today and kept saying I just can't believe this. I pray this devestation is all that touches the world for a while - it was enough to last a lifetime.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

Winglet..and this day will turn into weeks, and months possibly. It's such a scary thought...

Laura & Uno
    http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/thoroughlybredtb/main

...is how I've heard Pearl Harbor described. This is worse. This is peacetime terrorism, war for those who can't afford war. America being the giant, assume that if it can happen to us, it can happen to any country. Now, when it is said that we are at war with terrorists, take it along the same lines as the "War on Crime" and the "War on Drugs", in that we are not fighting a specific force, but beating down the threat where it springs up. Unfortunately, this means we can only take preventative measures. We can only take action after the fact, after the drugs are in the country, after the crime has been committed, and after the bombs have gone off. This war will be fought in the hearts of every American, and it will be won in the voting booths in November when the image of Manhattan disappearing in a cloud of dust, smoke, and human misery is still fresh in our minds.

JoHn (WiNgLeT)

"A horse runs with his legs, competes with his heart, and performs with his soul."
    -Tesio

My husband (police officer) is finally home. One of his friends from the police academy is missing assumed dead among others. He can't really talk about it. He'll need some time. I couldn't imagine what he went through. He's gotta go back at 3 in the morning but he's home. I cried and so did he and i hugged him for about a half hour. I cant believe this.

Barb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    **BARB***

Thank goodness, Barb!!! That is wonderful news. We shall keep praying for him in the days to come, along with the victims and other rescue personnel.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Hug him once for COTH!

JoHn (WiNgLeT)

-Tesio