The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Colin Powell was going to run after the Gulf War in 1992. But he left it up to his wife and she said no. She was afraid of racism and if he won, he assinated because of his race. Would make a damn good president though!!

...and we are very fortunate to have him a part of this current administration. Wasn't he originally asked to be VP?
    Secretplace Farm - Raising fine paint hunters since 1987
    www.spfarm.com

Colin Powell rocks!

but how fortunate are we that he is Secretary of State!!!

I heard Colin Powell speak at a conference a few years ago and it was one of the few times in my life that I felt that I was in the presence of greatness .

Guess I'm the one dissenter among Powell devotees, but I wasn't impressed with his involvement and subsequent denial of involvement with Iran-Contra, which let Oliver North take all the heat. Seems Powell, too, suffered memory loss (so he said) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Are you sure? That's great news if it is but we need him where he is right now. He wasn't too shabby last time the militant ragheads attacked. Too bad 'The Bear' is retired.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

If you would like an interesting view of Colin Powell, read Norman (okay, I'm gonna butcher this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img])Schwarchkopf's book.

I heard Powell speak at a Commputer Associates event in New Orleans, must have been in '96, and I felt I was hearing a stump speech.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

My cousin FINALLY was able to check in!! Thank goodness she's ok. I've been scared to post anything about her. She works in the building next to the WTC. I don't remember the exact order of when she did what, but after she'd LEFT her office, she realized she needed to go BACK to get more of her client investment information of some kind. One of the towers collapsed shortly after she left her office that second time. She said she couldn't see anything, had trouble breathing, etc. She then walked home to find her husband and daughter safely there.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

How can that be? The report says the FEMA folks are well supplied but the State and others aren't. That they're concerned about the rain tonight and those digging don't have ponchos and are coming back with bloody hands from no gloves. How could that be? The big Golf tournament didn't go on and they donated the five or fifteen million for the cause and there are no gloves? There will be the need for that and more money after the digging has ceased, of course, but what about now? Any ideas? They say to deliver any supplies to the Chelsea Piers.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HATTIE:
    but how fortunate are we that he is Secretary of State!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno, Hattie... I hear that the VP job is quite the position of power... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But I'm pretty darn glad he is the SoS.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

My BB love-list for today:
    heidi
    DMK
    Becca--we may disagree on things aside from Armani suits but I luv ya!
    JAIR
    ClipClop--*shhh* I agree with you on a few points, which we won't discuss now because there's been enough fighting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] and it seems like you could use some hugs

My BB 'let's have some more constructive criticism' list fo rthe day:
    JumpHigh--if you're still around here--you may not like it but I'd rather be called a "snivelling peace-lover" anyday than a "bitter, nationalistic, overzealous, etc. etc. war-lover" Maybe it's just me but war is not something I'd like to encourage, call me unpatriotic if you will. Trust me, I love America, it does have its shortcomings, all countries do, but it's a great place. We try to help out, we try to stop fighting, we try to be good. When bad things happen, no one wants a war. If we have one, so be it, I'll support our cause, maybe not gladly, but I'll do it. OK, done.

and to pt--that 'indefensible attitude' comment you made was rude and uncalled for. You may not agree with ClipClop, but tolerate his/her opinions. Intolerant attitudes caused this whole tragic situation, let's not fuel another one.

OK, now I'm really done [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Can we all try to get along, PLEASE? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~KBird

Since Tuesday morning I have been too deeply touched by the events taking place in the United States to post more than a few brief comments on this BB.

I can't tell you guys how much it upsets me to open these last pages on this thread to read about these kinds of disagreements.

We don't all have to agree. In fact the world is a much better place for it.

Congress is playing nice. Can't we?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

But she did save him from the scrutiny that the Pres and his family are under. Maybe we can get him to run in the next election (he'll make it...there are enough of us who don't care about skin color and prefer to judge a person by their deeds and character), and then get the media to also take a step back and make the office one that engenders more respect. (I freely admit that it is part of my problem with Bush--it's easy to criticize when everyone else does. Maybe that makes me a lemming?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Look at this BB, and at the many threads that are going. We are so VERY lucky to be living where we do. We post what we think without fear. We say what's in our hearts, without fear.

Our lives have all been changed. Whether intimately or not. Our innocence is gone. But we have more depth than any terrorist organization can possibly understand. And with this, we will rebuild and survive.

It makes me so very proud of our country, and so very sad our world has come to this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and to pt--that 'indefensible attitude' comment you made was rude and uncalled for. You may not agree with ClipClop, but tolerate his/her opinions. Intolerant attitudes caused this whole tragic situation, let's not fuel another one.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but IMO you're dead wrong.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I hold with that axiom, and will defend ClipClop or your or anyone's right to express their opinion - INCLUDING MY OWN.

Because I respect everyone's right to have and express their own opinion does NOT imply respect for the actual opinions.

I respect CC's right to her opinion and her right to express it. I think the particular opinion which was under discussion is hogwash.

And I have a right to that opinion, and to express it.

Works both ways.

pt, I do understand that you have the freedom to express your opinion, and that's fine, I wasn't talking aobut you expressing your opinon. I was simply saying that your comment about it was kind of snippy. You are welcome to say that I'm "dead wrong" if that's how you see it, but I will simply say tha tI disagree and leave it at that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Nothing about your actual viewpoint, I was just slightly shocked to see such a harsh and condscending comment about something that cannot be proven one way or the other--an opinion. Neither of you are 'right,' but I was hoping people would choose more friendly or at least civil ways to say what's no their minds.

I honestly didn't mean to insult your idea or opinion, just the wording seemed kind of strong. Maybe I'm just very hypersensitive. peace? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~KBird

Hey, KB -

we're all sensitive these days - of course, peace. After all, you're entitled to express your opinion too - and I totally defend that right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

One war at a time is plenty! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Kellybird, go back and read Krswyns post..EXCELLENT!!! Someday YOU TOO will find something in your life important enough to put YOUR PERSONAL feelings aside and DEFEND that cause unconditionally...I hope... What a post...God Bless America...the greatest country in the world. I have had enough of the whiners trying pitifully to defend their cowardice with righteousness. Good thing for you SOMEBODY was willing to die for your right judge this country and to make comments about others patriotism...Thank you vets...There are alot of us out here who appreciate your bravery, patriotism and sacrifices!

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Just read this in my email and HAD to come back and post it here! I copied and pasted and didnt correct some of the typos but you will get the picture!

Thinking of you all, this seemed worth passing along:

FRWD: Sent to me by a friend. How true, how true!!

I believe it was written by a teenager from Florida.

Well, you hit the World Trade Center, but you missed America.
    You hit the Pentagon,but you missed America.
    You used helpless American bodies,to take out other American bodies, but like a poor marksman, you STILL
    missed America.
    Why? Because of something you guys will never understand. America isn't abouta building or two, not about financial centers, not about military centers,America isn't about a place, America isn't even about a bunch of bodies.
    America is about an IDEA. An idea thatyou can go someplace where you can earn as much as you can figure out howto, live for the most part, like you envisioned living, and pursueHappiness. (No guarantees that you'll
    reach it, but you can sure try!)

Go ahead and whine your terrorist whine, and chant your terrorist litany "If you cannot see my point, then feel my pain." This concept is alien to Americans.
    We live in a country where wedon't have to see your point. But you're free to have one.
    We don't have to listen to your speech. But you're free to say one.
    Don't know where you got the strange idea that everyone has to agree with you.
    There's a spirit that tends to take over people who come to this country, looking for opportunity, looking for liberty, looking for freedom. Even if they misuse it. You guys seem to be incapable of understanding that we don't live in America,America lives in US! American Spirit is what it's called.
    And killing a few thousand of us, or a few million of us, won't change it.

Most of the time, it's apretty happy-go-lucky kind of Spirit. Until we're crossed in a cowardlymanner, then it becomes an entirely different kind of Spirit. Wait until you see what we do with thatSpirit, this time.

Sleeptight, if you can. We're coming.

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.