The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I called our NGB yesterday to inquire as to whether shows could cancel without penalty. There is a breed show scheduled for this weekend in my area. The policy is that it is up to individual show to decide but there would be notations made on the shows' records so that the 'cancellation two years in a row will negate the protected date' rule would not 'count' any cancellation made due to the events of this week.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I called our NGB yesterday to inquire as to whether shows could cancel without penalty. There is a breed show scheduled for this weekend in my area. The policy is that it is up to individual show to decide but there would be notations made on the shows' records so that the 'cancellation two years in a row will negate the protected date' rule would not 'count' any cancellation made due to the events of this week.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Boy, I'm really not sure about this one. My first reaction was that the shows should be cancelled. I know that, if I were showing, my heart would not be in it right now. Who cares about ribbons and placings at a time like this? I would not be showing.

But, we have to get back to normalcy sometime. Our lives will go on. Maybe it is best that we do it as quickly as possible. And, maybe, we should let it be an individual decision, depending on how everyone feels about showing.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm riding in an event on Sunday... at least, as far as I know. I haven't heard anything about it being cancelled.

Although I haven't been able to get an iota of work done since I first heard the news Tuesday morning, I do think it's time for people to start making an effort to get back to normal... to the extent that they're comfortable with.

I guess it's an individual decision more than anything. If the organizers of the event I'm entered in decide to cancel, I'd understand. But if the event goes on, I'll be there.

Just editing to say I checked the event's website, and it says it will go on as planned.

I suspect many events in the local areas of the 3 attacks will be cancelled. But I see no reason why shows in other parts of the country should not go on as planned.

If an individual feels too much grief to go, that's their choice, especially if their loss is a personal one. But while all American's are shocked, saddened and outraged, life does go on, albeit with a deeper appreciation of life and loved ones.

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I was thinking about this, too, not just about the cancellation of horse shows, but the Emmys, the Latin Grammys, etc.

While it would seem callous to continue as if nothing had happened, my personal feeling is that the terrorists were attacking our way of life, as well as their specific targets. It seems to me that the more we disrupt our lives, the more success we are granting their efforts.

Maybe as we try to get back to normal, we could make an effort to donate a percentage of entry fees or other expenses to the Red Cross or Salvation Army at each show or event we attend for the next month. If we're lucky enough to be able to go to a show, we should remember those who are not so fortunate.

I think out of respect we should cancel shows at least for the next week...maybe more. I think it is a great idea to try to remain doing the usual things but sporting events seem more like a celebration and it just doesn't seem right to celebrate when we have so many other things to do and people that need help. Maybe horse shows could promote proceeds or ask for donations toward the Red Cross if they feel they must go on. I think that if they put the proceeds to a good cause to help those victims and there families--it could be a reason to keep the shows going. Just a thought.
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

While there is much tragedy. I feel that unless the people are needed to help in the rescue, we should continue as normal as possible. You can do your best in the honor of the lost and missing, a silent prayer or thought for them before you start the show. This way you honor their memory and show the world that they may have hit us hard but we did not fall and we go on.
    Of course it is the individuals choice not to show but the event should go on -- maybe not as festive.

Just my feelings on this.

Maria
    Maria
    Having Fun in Life is what its all about.

It is a hard choice.

Our way of life has been attacked. I think we should defy that. Getting together at shows is a way to comfort each other. We shouldn't honor those who have died alone. The equestrian comunity is so tight knit; what better way to honor everyone than to get together as a group?

I do think a moment of silence should be observed and the national anthem played at the begining of the shows.

"No One Trains For Second
    Place..."

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
    After you cancel horse shows, what else do we cancel? every sporting event? Schools? Dentist appointments? Gynocology appointments? Shut down the mall?
    Come on. Let's LIVE.
    What will stopping the wheels show our kids? We're losers? We're chicken? We give up? Blow up some more buildings? You win. We're losers.

Let's keep going. My father did not fight in the Pacific for me to sit on my ass in the living room and hide. We have to stand up, brush off the dirt and KICK SOME ASS.

My grandfather (a physician) was hidden by the French resistance throughout the entire war. A whole war! He stitched up thousands of men, and probably women. He was in a dark hole for years! He died in a FREE France! Not a German colony!

My mom watched Paris crumble. She gave blood yesterday and she's as "old as the hills!"
    We are going on with their lives, crying as we go, but ... WE CANNOT SURRENDER!

KEEP KICKING! GO TO THE WHIP!

I think it's a splendid idea for horse shows to have a moment of silence for the victims, maybe play the National Anthem, and take up a collection to forward to the Red Cross. Yes, we need to continue with our lives, but with a renewed sense of patriotism and compassion for those personally affected by this tragedy.

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

Great idea.
    Shows could take a collection for the Red Cross, Salvation army or United Way.

Merry- your idea is fabulous and the only way that I would be able to compete this weekend.

IMO, this attack is so big that a weeks delay on non-essential activities is just being respectful and polite.

SLW

The biggest GOLF tournament in the world was CANCELLED today.

The SPONSORS and PLAYERS instead DONATED the $5 (or was it $15) MILLION purse to the NY/DC relief efforts.

Amazing!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Wow, Weatherford! That is wonderful!!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Thats just unbelievable Weatherford. What a wonderful display of human compassion.

I think that it is important for people to get on with their lives. As with any greiving process, there just comes a time when you have to move on and draw strength from what you have experienced. Some friends and I were talking about this last night actually, wondering what we would do if we went to war and would we ever return to the life that we knew on monday?

I'm glad the ACC canceled all of the college football games this weekend. Its hard for me to see myself cheering on Clemson when right now the main thought in my head is that all of those people died in NY and DC. One of my professors sent out an email today that said todays test has been cancelled, he'd gotten too many emails from students who said they just couldnt focus enough to study. Hes a CIA agent, he had friends that died in the Pentagon, and sadly, he understands all too well.

I say give it a week.. or two. But we have to pick up where we left off and show those idiots that we wont stand for it.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

The Gold Cup at Devon is still going on, I believe it starts either today or tomorrow.

I don't think that we as Americans should allow the terrorists to put this country into a lockdown police state because if we do they WIN!

They want to show us how vulnerable and weak we are and that we can't handle the hardships they have had to endure.

I believe life needs to get back to normal as soon as possible. The big national events had to cancel because of plane transportation being totally incapacitated. We should show our confidence in our government by flying our flags and we should go on with life as usual.

While those who have suffered losses deserve to be respected I think we do that best by NOT letting the terrorists accomplish their ultimate purpose of destroying our world of freedom and security.

while I agree that life should get normalized as soon as poss.I think fun events this weekend should be cancelled.I know I could not give my best if I was competeing.My brain is fried with this awful situation.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

We are free to follow our own conscience the best we can. But, because you may not wish to attend does not mean it should be cancelled. What we are defending is our individual right to do what we believe is right.