The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding question: Free feeding Orchard to Bermuda or Timothy?

I have a bale-sized cinchchix net and I put a bale of hay in there for my horse about every 4 days. She's been on Orchard for a while now. It's getting scarce and expensive, the last ones I got were really light, some kind of mix, and only lasted 3 days. I was thinking of adding Bermuda or Timothy and doing one Orchard, next Bermuda or Timothy then back to Orchard or something. Would this be a good or bad idea? My friend said they're all grass hays, so should be able to switch, but I just wanted to make sure. I know she got the poopies when I put her on all orchard.

I have another net, I could put two bales out at the same time and let her pick which one she wants to eat from.

I can't do half and half, it would be a real mess trying to get a half a bale into one of those nets.

Thanks!

Do two bales, and do Timothy if possible. I am not a huge fan of Bermuda, personally. She will probably try and clean up the Orchard first, but she will eat the other hay when she runs out : )

Not sure where your'e located, but bermuda in the southeast tends to be thin and wiry. Not all horses can tolerate it. (Patrick gets bloated and colicky, progressing to flinging himself on the ground and ending up with a vet visit. The emergency call charge more than makes up for the cheaper hay!) But other horses do just fine on it. I suspect there are different varieties too, and some make better quality hay than others.

I can't imagine timothy being much cheaper than orchard grass, but that's what I'd choose from your list.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick