The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall Guard for the Non-Stall Guard Friendly Horse

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for me.

I've been looking into heading to Millbrook this year. In the omnibus it says to bring stall guards for stabling, which I'm assuming means they don't have stall doors. (Hoping I'm wrong and they actually do have doors!) Every time I've stabled before there's been a door so this hasn't been an issue. My horse can't do stall guards. He will paw at it and lean against it and try to put his feet in/on it. At home we have drop down grates that make Dutch doors and he can't even have that open for more than a few minutes without banging on his door.

So the question is, what do I do? There's no way I'd feel comfortable leaving him alone overnight with just a stall guard. I guess I could get two and stack them on top of each other or I've been looking into getting one of the metal half stall guards but those are expensive and I'm not even sure how they attach to the stalls; I may not even be able to use that. Plus, he would still misbehave with it, I just would feel more comfortable that he couldn't escape.

Thoughts or suggestions? I would hate to not attend an event I've been dying to go to just because I don't know if I can keep my horse in the stall!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I guess I would call them directly and ask. Makes no sense to guess, if they do not have doors perhaps they will know how other people handle it. You can't bethe only one who'se horse is not a stall guard only candidate...

The stalls do have doors...

Quote Originally Posted by CANTEREOIN View Post
    Okay awesome thanks! The omnibus listing made it seem like they didn't.

Don't believe the hype.

Some of the permanent ones I don't think do, actually. Though, it seems that usually the BIG crews get those. The temporary stabling they put up does have them.

Dover (and just about everyone else) sells metal screens/gates/doors that are easy enough to haul around and hang. http://www.doversaddlery.com/show-gate/p/X1-27518/ Consider something like this, though I would then probably hang a stall chain above it when you are not RIGHT THERE with him. They are expensive, but it may be a good investment if your horse is naughty.

Easy enough to hang. Two eye screws, slip the pegs into the eye screws. Eye screw on the open side, double end snap to latch.

My prefered stall gates are from here:

http://www.candpengmfg.com/id5.html

The smallest ones were $85 each in December. I have 2 that are used on my regular stalls and they are very sturdy. I have them simply hung on eye screws so they would be easy to install on any wood wall.

Christa

This is only true if you end up in the temp stalls. Millbrook definitely has several permanent stalls without doors. I would think that if you requested temp stalls on your stabling form that they would honor that, however.

I think what YB and Christa P said are your best bet. I think most of the permanent stalls have permanent screw eyes in, but you can always screw additional ones in if you need to hang the gate.

My apologies... I've only been in the temporary stalls with doors...

My advice, having never actually been anywhere without stall doors, is to put on your entry "horse does not stay in a stall guard pretty please give me a door" and then bring two stall guards and hang one above the other one if they can't accomodate you.

My 16.2 hand gelding would lay down then crawl under his stall chains. It was a wonder to see.

Okay, so the plan will be to beg and plead for a door. I'm sure they wouldn't want a random horse loose so I think they will accomodate my request

And I'll also start collecting stall guards just in case

Don't believe the hype.

Stall gate would be the thing I'd choose.
    Check out Big D also, they may have the lightweight aluminum ones that are very strong but easy to carry around. We put bungee cords on them to keep them shut snuggly against the stall frame (you hang them so they swing IN, not out) and if you have a real Houdini get the square kind without a drop down neck or cut out portion, that way he can't get ideas but if hung high enough it will prevent him from putting his head out over the top. If you have to worry about the bottom, with him getting UNDER, then put it lower and hang a regular stall guard on the top at night or when you aren't right there.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Just bought a stall gate from Big D's. They were on sale. Very easy to tote around.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Some of the permanent ones I don't think do, actually. Though, it seems that usually the BIG crews get those. The temporary stabling they put up does have them.

Dover (and just about everyone else) sells metal screens/gates/doors that are easy enough to haul around and hang. http://www.doversaddlery.com/show-gate/p/X1-27518/ Consider something like this, though I would then probably hang a stall chain above it when you are not RIGHT THERE with him. They are expensive, but it may be a good investment if your horse is naughty.

Easy enough to hang. Two eye screws, slip the pegs into the eye screws. Eye screw on the open side, double end snap to latch.
    It is much easier, if you are using these while traveling, to get a 2 x 4 and screw the screw eyes into it at the perfect distance. Then pre-drill 3 holes for long screws, top middle and bottom of the 2 x 4.

When you get to the show/event, you do not have to worry about measuring and tightening screw eyes; you just screw your board onto the inside of the door frame, and hang the gate.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."