The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CWD 2G; Experiences?

Does anyone have personal experience with the CWD 2G vs the regular CWD saddle? I have always loved the regular CWD but am getting a new saddle and tried the 2G.
    The 2G is quite a bit more expensive but is lovely to ride in. I did notice quite a difference from the regular saddle. The rep says that horses move better in the 2G and have more freedom when jumping. Also, they said the 2G allows the rider to hold their position better over fences.

I did notice the horse moving better in the 2G but it did seem to just fit him better than the other demo saddles. So maybe he would have moved just as well in a regular saddle properly fit.
    Any experiences on whether the carbon fiber tree is really worth the extra money? Is is actually better for the horse? I did like riding in it, and liked it over fences a lot but a regular saddle is also very nice.

I have no experience with the new saddle but am interested in hearing what others have to say about it. I had the regular CWD and loved it but the 2G is just so ugly. A friend tried it in Ocala this winter and fell in love with it, if it wasn't so much money she would have traded in her Butet immediately for the 2G. I don't know if your horse moved better because the 2G is a better saddle, most likely he did because it was a good fit for him. A friend tried my saddle and her horse moved 100% better in it, but most likely that was because her Butet didn't fit him very well at all and she was looking to replace it.

Thanks BAC, I hope more people will chime in who've had more experience with it.

I am considering it since I am going to be riding quite a few different horses in the near future and want a saddle that will fit more variety. My current CWD was tweaked to fit a very hard to fit horse and it's not going to work for the next batch. It also is nqr for me, so I was looking at the same saddle with a different flap and a pro type panel. Then I tried the 2G (which incidentally I said I wouldn't try because it's so ugly) and really liked it and noticed an immediate difference in the horse. Of course it's more expensive.

At least they hold their value well, if that is of any consolation for spending so much money.

Tried the 2G & regular CWD on FP (who is quite the saddle critic) - neither fit great but rep thought neither fit awful: FP didn't buy into the flex tree propaganda at all & moved better in the regular CWD: in theory the 2G should've been more comfortable for him.

I agree on the "Ugly" & would've wanted one without the external plastic bits

Supposedly CWD is really markerting this saddle to eventers, so maybe post over there too ...

To ride multiple horses, a saddle that is too wide & can be shimmed is likely more useful than too narrow ... too bad there are no saddles with swap out panels

Eventers would likely want the external blocks on a monoflap, though.

A friend of mine fell in love with the 2G recently. Doesn't have the budget for a new one so she's trying to buy one online from France... I'll let you know how that process goes, but she says whatever it takes it'll be worth it (she currently rides in a classic CWD, which she loves but isn't quite right for her or her new horse now).

When fitting a saddle for my new horse we tried the 2G and the traditional model and I found the traditional model much more comfortable then the 2G, and my position is better. I did not notice it fitting my horse better or worse. On the same not I really did not like how it looked but my coach had other students that tried it and it worked for their position better then the traditional model so if you can swing the price, and you notice the difference in you and your horse then go for it since those are the most important aspects. It's too bad they didn't have one of the traditional saddles in a demo that fit your horse better, I was lucky and the demo fit my horse perfectly!

The "plastic" variety, tho ugly, is to die for once you have ridden in one. I have a 2yo "regular" CWD I love as well. The ugly one is more comfortable, but I wanted it for a hunter so opted for the other. There is one for sale on Ebay which is very reasonable- but don't let Paypal release funds until you receive it. I got ripped off on ebay buying a CWD recently, tho got the funds back. If it seems too good to be true, then it may be a hoax. Good luck!

Im an eventer and I tried the 2g at rocking horse. I had a CWD about five years ago that fell apart . Hated that I paid so much for the rep to keep blowing me off. I hate monoflaps and I think I am one of the few eventers that does. All my saddles are double flapped.

Anyways, I tried the saddle and it was comfy but I personally felt better in my prestige. For the price new I can get two new prestige saddles. Ehh imo just felt like a normal cwd.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I just got my CWD 2G in April and I really do love it. Still not sold on the advertising on it but honestly, love the way it fits my horse and me...and in jumperland its not such a big deal. I also got in very dark leather, which is gorgeous - and in full calfskin, so nice and soft! The monoflap took a little getting used too...but it doesn't bother me too much. I still have my Butet, but its so narrow it no longer fits my mare And I always told myself if I were going to buy another saddle after my Butet, I would get what I loved and fit. I was never "sold" on CWDs until I sat in the 2G...

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    A friend of mine fell in love with the 2G recently. Doesn't have the budget for a new one so she's trying to buy one online from France... I'll let you know how that process goes, but she says whatever it takes it'll be worth it (she currently rides in a classic CWD, which she loves but isn't quite right for her or her new horse now).
    CWDs are made in Morrocco, not France. They use French leather.

I am still on the fence. I did like the 2G but it is more expensive, and I could use that extra money on something else. I think the thing that would sway me to it is if it was more suitable for moving from horse to horse than the regular tree. I am not buying the saddle custom to a specific horse, I am buying it to use on several young horses I have coming up, so I am getting the pro panel on either model.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate any experiences. It does seem like the people who love them have a very strong preference for them. The rep told me they are phasing out the regular saddles and soon all they will sell will be the 2G.

The other factor is the wait for a 2G is 22 weeks, that's a long time to wait. The regular saddle is 4-12 weeks.

I rode in two different 2G, one brand new and another which was alreaky broken in. They are supposed to be very comfy, but I found them heavy and not particularly great to ride in.

I like my regular CWD much better.

Cosmos mom, I had the amazing priveledge to visit not only the leather tannery but also both workshops in Nontron, France. The saddles are absolutely not made in Morocco but expertly handcrafted in France. Whomever told you that is lying. Just want to spread truth rather than false rumors!

I tried the 2G and found it to be quite a bit more comfortable than the regular CWD saddles. I have an Antares and prefer it over the CWD saddles, although I found the 2G to be more like an Antares to ride in. I'm not sure that it's worth the extra couple thousand dollars though.. When I was looking at them they were $6000.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos mom View Post
    CWDs are made in Morrocco, not France. They use French leather.
    I don't know why this rumour persists ...

it's like the one I just heard about Counties - all their trees are really banana shaped & that's why they use those big wither gussets ... stated as the Saddle Fitter is looking at a County Innovation with zero wither gussets & minimally stuffed panels sitting on the horse

Just to be perverse
    made in Morrocco. They use French leather
    is I believe true of Antares Hampton & Spooner saddles ...

They are made in the same factory as Arc De Triomphe. I have even met the man that owns the factory! Not rumor, just fact. Morrocco is one of the top textile countries in the world. Nothing wrong with producing the product in Morrocco if it is french leather, tree, etc.

@ Believetobe- I'm sure some product is made there, but also in Morrocco. I personally don't think this is a negative.

when I tried the 2G it wasn't even available for mass purchase so I wouldn't have been able to buy it even if I had wanted to! I remember thinking it was pretty darn cool though, it felt...I dunno, squishier than the regular one? Anyway, I think its just another gimmick to help keep CWD differentiated from the other brands. Kind of like the striped fabric on the gullet of Voltaires. Otherwise, most of those french saddles are the same! Same shape, similar design, similar price point (expensive)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos mom View Post
    @ Believetobe- I'm sure some product is made there, but also in Morrocco. I personally don't think this is a negative.
    I don't think it is a negative either, but your previous post states that CWDs are "made in Morocco" leading us to believe you meant all CWDs are made there. Regardless, they are a great saddle, I would buy another in a minute, but not the 2G as long as it is so ugly. For $6,500 I want both performance and good looks.

I am disappointed to hear they are going to discontinue the classic CWD, I hope that is just a rumor and not fact. Don't think I would be willing to wait almost 6 months for any saddle though.