The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

While I myself do partake of the tobbacco plant.I do not feel that it is 'politically correct ' for me to lend my support to either side of this heated issue at this time!
    Yes it is TRUE If nominated I will run if elected I will serve.Just a little twist on a statement made by a former U.S. pres LBJ!
    Brilyntrip

Not to mention, triggers my asthma...(I pretty nearly died last week after the PHA meeting when we were gathered between the doors and the smokers lit up...polite lil me, just sat there holding my breath.....)

I feel one day I may open my e-mail to see Mary has written me a lovely letter[as she does so well] to ream me for my smoking!!! lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Pictures-I need pictures [just a reminder!!!]
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

I did try to get outta there for your sake as soon as possible !!!!
    Brilyntrip

Well I am with Mary on the smoking issue, Hey if you want to smoke the respectful thing would to go outside, or if you want to smoke put all smokers on one side of the room like they do in some places, its called a smoking section, But then you cant complain if you arent sitting with your own table then. You choose to smoke then you should choose to be with people who do, But you cant have the whole cake here on this subject.You may as well put another section in to for the inappropriate dressers, LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The problem with smoking is that the people who don't still have to breath the air smokers foul up. Just walking through the "smokers" area at last years dinner dance I ended up REAKING of smoke. Had to take a shower to get the smell out of my hair. As grown-ups we should be trying to set positive examples to the kids who are attending. I'm sorry, but smokers if you make a personal choice to light up, my vote is for outside, but the lobby will do.

since you know what happened last time I took too much asthma meds, I guess hustling me out was in your best interest as I was driving!! It worked, we are both alive!

I'll go through some of my old albums Deb-- I know I have loads of photos from the 70's--how about trying to get in contact with some of the LI "alumnae" who might be interested in sharing in the festivities of the 50th? How bout for one, start a thread: LIPHA 50th??? You know, that's a good idea, I'm going to do that right now......

The smoking issue is rather trivial when we have two, count 'em, two very important elections coming up in less that a month. Although the PHA and the LIHSAA are to remain 2 separate organizations, they must work FOR one another. I see the floundering of one as the other gains all the interest, if the wrong people become their officials. Just because the old LIHSAA board has accepted the new board, and bylaws, does not mean that all our problems are solved.

There are 3 people on the PHA ballot for the presidency, and I plan to vote for the one who has the best understanding of the LI horse show community, is involved in the AHSA in a capacity that bests suits my needs, and who has, merely by running, shown me that they have put the PHA's interests at the top of their priority list.

The new officials of the LIHSAA need to be futuristic, interested in change, and willing to work diplomatically.

Please let's concern ourselves with the most pertinent of issues- And those decisions that we will have to live with for a while.

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Wouldn't it be great if we could draw the candidates in to cyber world to answer questions the voters may have! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    I for one would like to see the new president keep us updated on federation updates and work for the people of L.I. Knowing what is important to all of L.I. and not having to be told what is, is a must! Working hard for us and having the best iterest of both associations is a priority in my book.
    Stevie Nicks

um golddust gave me a bad email address for you please send me something have important stuff to talk about!!!
    Brilyntrip

It seems that this bb has become a forum for LI, what better place for the candidates to express their views? I'm assuming that Dick London has the ability to go online, we all know Karen is on here. I guess Hanna can't respond, but somehow that doesn't seem very pertinent. What are the serious questions and issues?

Although I am not currently a member of the LIPHA (didn't know until recently that membership was open to non-professionals)-I would like the president to have a direct hands-on involvement in the local show communtity. I think that only by standing ringside you can truly understand the end result of the decisions that are made and how they effect the exhibitors. For instance this years pre-childrens's debate. Although I am no longer personally involved in this division, I still think it has certain issues that need to be addressed. I still think there should be some thought to splitting horses/ponies-I also think there should be effort given to insure that the ponies there are truly ponies. By stricter adherence to the rules we can improve the level of competition, and utilize that division as I understand it to exist, as a preamble to childrens hunter.

I also know that there was some confusion as to the pre-green division at the start of this current show year. When the lows in effect became the old pre-greens we now have two divisions to show horses in their first/second year of showing-seems redundant to me.

I would like to see the LIHSAA website updated in a more timely manner, and it would be great to include a bbs on that site.

What are the other issues, I honestly don't know. I find that most of the shows on Long Island are well run, you all are doing a great job, and as an exhibitor I appreciate the fact that most situations are handled in a professional manner. I think right now there seems to be a division that almost everyone can fit into and have fun.

Being online should almost be mandatory for anyone running for office and also for all voters.
    If you haven't been to meetings and horse shows, or tried to keep up via the internet, how do you begin to know what is right for the PHA.

Lurkn,great post, hope to see the cadidates come on and answer some questions. Mrs. Rice, you hit the nail on the head.In this day and age you really need to be computer literate to have axcess to the people. Be back later after I feed the horses!
    Stevie Nicks

to go with all this but I am here . If anyone has any relavent questions I'll try to give my best answers.
    Brilyntrip

What are some of your ideas on giving the PHA and the LIHSAA a good working relationship?

And how about some fund-raising ideas?

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Debby, you should run for president? I'd nominate you, but I don't know how.

RE: LIPHA ORGANIZATION

It's being run like a secret club! You might be surpirsed to learn that some of Marty's people who have been actively showing, don't even know how to join the LIPHA! I only found out from looking at the awards dinner program.

I think that the lack of written commumication between LIPHA and its members is a big problem, i.e., no membership cards (I didn't know if I was a member or not the first year after I sent my check), no updates/news/voting issues/standings, etc.....Even if it's too costly and time-consuming to do it by mail, new/potential members should be informed that news is available on a website. If you simply ask for an e-mail address on applications, you could inform people of how to get information. I've been a member for 2-1/2 years and didn't know there was a website with LIPHA news until a month ago. New members are really kept in the dark if they aren't in the loop.

Some kind of inexpensive mailing might be good, even once or twice a year to remind people that things are going on.

If possible, a separate LIPHA website might be nice, which hopefully could incorporate the LIHSAA standings. You could have a "forum" on it, as well, after all, why should the whole world know our business? Also, it would be easier to locate LI news there rather than searching thru chronofhorse.

Debby, your communications are timely and excellent! Unfortunately, I bet there are a lot of members, not to mention potential members who don't even know they exist. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hope my comments aren't out of line.
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

to answer some of Janets's questions but .. some where locally a big power outage shut me down mid sentence!Now I have to try to remember what I was trying to say !Darn I was just about done too!
    Brilyntrip

to answer soem of Janets's questions but .. soem where locally a big power outage shut me down mid sentence!Now I have to try to remember what I was trying to say !Darn I was just about done too!
    Brilyntrip

to answer some of Janets's questions but .. some where locally a big power outage shut me down mid sentence!Now I have to try to remember what I was trying to say !Darn I was just about done too!
    OK well I have no idea if this will actually post since I have been trying to get it to go through for some time.
    here goes
    The LIPHA and LIHSAA have been kept as two distinct entities for some time .I honestly believe that both organizations can and should be able to work together for the mutual good.
    The Pha is an historic association that is to Professional Horsemen what the FEMA is to US disaster victims.
    In these times where fundraising must be creative we in LIPHA have to actively pursue all viable options in order to have a strong and active membership.Which must include all new and insured methods of increasing our funds annually.
    In the past we have raised funds through membership fees ,the annual horse show , seminars with renowned horsemen.New ideas could include A high score class in each division such as the ones held in NEW JERSEY .I will have to investigate the whats and hows of this idea first before I can give any other information.
    Enlarging the silent auction held at the banquet
    could help.I have one or two kind of radical thoughts that I am currently looking into the particulars of which I will elaborate on once I am convinced of their merits!
    Some of these ideas may seem a bit revolutionary now but remember they are just ideas to discuss openly .I hope I have answered your questions Janet.
    Brilyntrip

First off-thanks but no thanks jump off!!! lol Actually, one thing I feel the president should do is keep us informed of Zone pertinent issues! I very rarely leave te Island so I need someone to keep me updated!
    I know for a fact you and your husband are members.I recieved tat check with your diner dance check. I will get your e-mail address to Mrs. Rice asap! You two can definitly vote!!Please try to put Nov.5th o your caledar and meet early for diner at 6:00. Horse show comittee meeting is then but all are welcome to hear what is going on![and possibly put to work!lol] And no-I will not count that as that diner we have been trying to have! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I try to post as often as I can to elp keep the few that here in touch. We really need to get the word out better and update mailing lists! Yup LURKN-the web site needs a B.Board! More of L.I. will go there and become more active. We could post meetings, clinics, news, possible fund raisers, dinner dance and horse show news. Why this was not done from the start I have no idea!

For all who wanted to become members so they could vote. I feel it is a shame you can not. It has sparked your interest. I would think it would be a great way to generate more members. Any big wigs have any comments!!!? Bet we would get MANY new members!!! We could increase revenue and get some new blood. Janet-help me with this one please. What is the reason for not letting them vote? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Oh, no way are your comments out of line. This is the stuff we need to hear. Keep them coming [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks