The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Now All of my posts are splattered all over the place! Sorry guys !
    Brilyntrip

Our website could have classified ads couldn't it?
    It could also have some type of display ad section like some of the horse magazines we all read.In addition a bulletin board for Long Island would be benefitial(sp?).

[This message was edited by brilyntrip on Oct. 10, 2001 at 12:10 PM.]
    Brilyntrip

What about getting LIPHA hats/polo shirts/
    t-shirts/jackets/arm bands made up and selling them at LI shows? You could even take orders before getting them produced to take advantage of quantity pricing. A lot of companies do it, i.e., Lands End, and probably some on LI, as well. Don't know if there is an existing logo, but if not, how about a contest to design a new one?

You could use them in many ways, i.e.,

--Raising income from dues by offering these logo items at different rate levels:
    DUES + LIPHA HAT = $40
    DUES + LIPHA Tee = $45
    DUES + LIPHA Polo = $60
    etc., etc., etc.

Another good way to sell shirts (maybe in summer) is to require anyone competing in an LIPHA class or stakes class to wear an LIPHA shirt/arm band/pinney which of course would be for sale at each show (arm bands couldn't cost more than $1 each to produce and would sell for at least $2). The WEF in Florida last year required all jumper riders to wear polo shirts at all times (no jackets or ties) and it was a big success.
    If you did it for a certain class or division,
    it could become a popular way of attracting entries, not to mention promoting LIPHA.

If you have a separate PHA class at shows,
    one of the items could be given for 1st place.

In NJ, they have separate awards dinners for NJPHA and NJHSA, even though most of the same people compete in both divisions. As it would likely be the same in LI, why not make an LIPHA/LIHSAA combined awards dinner/dance? Just about everything would remain the same as far as your costs go, but you could charge a higher fee, as two sets of awards would be presented.

Just some food for thought....
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

Is there something in the bylaws of the PHA that prevents potential members from joining----HUH????? or voting?????? Someone please enlighten me.....? Along with the rest of the world, of course?

Yes, all should realize that LIPHA and LIHSAA are Very Separate Entities, purposefully so (though the actual purpose remains unclear...)elections for LIHSAA have been held (concluded in early September) and the status of the new board is detailed in the post that started this thread....Nov 5th is for PHA elections....PHA does not set class specs or keep tabs on high score points, that is the agenda of the LIHSAA.

It is my belief that mailing lists for both organizations and regular communication would be beneficial to all concerned. Otherwise all concerned are in the dark, the results of which we have seen the past year. BUT it is my understanding that all that has every chance of changing now, what with the new setup for LIHSAA.

The PHA does keep their members informed of its' doings, you just aren't looking in the right place. How about coming to a meeting to get caught up? Your points are not wrong, and the PHA is going through some changes, along with the LIHSAA, to rectify some of the problems. Why not offer your help, instead of mere ideas? The website needs help, and we need someone to get the minutes from each meeting to some magazine like Horse Directory. Our communication with our membership needs work and maybe you're just the person to work on it.

And, I truly believe, any client of Marty's could ask MARTY about the PHA, and he would gladly inform them of the date and location of the meetings. He attends them all.

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

The ad thing on the website is a great idea, Karin!! And so is the shirt uniform for jumpers idea, TimedJO. Are you writing all this down, Goldust?

I know that one must be a PHA member, either Pro or Associate, for the year of the elections in order to vote. But in glancing over the Bylaws of the PHA, I didn't see anything about any time constraints except that the NOMINEES must all be paid members for 2 years. Hummmmm.........

I know it was said that those wishing to vote must have been paid members as of Sept. 1st of this year, but I'm not sure if that is in writing anywhere. Mrs. Rice- ya got that in any of your minutes anywhere?

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Jump off-
    Good ideas. I hope you and your husbad will be able to make some meetings. I know you guys live far but please try. We can always use new input and help. This months meeting is a must for you guys!!! Janet and I have already been checking in to the hat,T-shirt thing! They will definitly be on sale this PHA show. We really need voluteers to work the booth! Anybody out there available for that help???

As far as this voting thing. I too have been over the by-laws with a fine tooth comb and it says nothing about time spent as a PHA member to vote. This is really important. Can someone elighten us here. The PHA stands to get many new immediate members if they could vote. I think this is an opportunity the PHA should grab on to!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

that anyone who wants to vote had to be a member as of sept1
    Brilyntrip

I shall need to see that in writing as we should not make up rules as we go!!![not that I am saying we are, flame suit at the ready!! lol] I was told new PHA members could get the ticket discount for the diner dance last year!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

The National By-laws state "Professional members in good standing as of September 1, shall be entitled to one vote in that year's National Election."
    Cannot find anything in the National By-laws that mentions Chapter elections.

If you need help with the dinner dance or organizing anything, I would love to help, and so would Stef. Just don't expect me to do anything gross.

As far as the website I was thinking about this for a while now-believe it or not, this I can do. We can get the same bbs that we are on now and I had even thought of putting a more accurate points tally instead of waiting for Michael to do it.

The t-shirt thing for jumpers is a great idea-maybe would solve some dress code problems too. Did everyone know that Jane is a designer-maybe get her imput for a classy logo.

Another thing, since Hanna doesn't have a computer, can I answer for her in the debate? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Can I have one of those new pha hats for motivation?

Does anyone know if Dick London is online?

I think I will make up a special PHA ash tray just for you!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thanks for the offer of help. Diner Dace is pretty well organized right now. The horse show- now that is another story. As that gets closer we will need lots of help!!!!

Let's look in to that chapter thing Mrs. Rice!!! This chapter could increase members big time I think with up and coming elections possibly!!!
    Stevie Nicks

Better make it a big one, I had plenty of company last year at "my table". I keep thinking that as a joke I'll pull up and see a table in the parking lot with my name on it.

Would love to help with the show-just don't know what I could do-Marty already told me NO, but that was before I became a barn manager. Maybe I could be in charge of backing up all the trailers, fashion police,or a commentator. Just don't make me muck the parking lot-LOL.

DEBBY,

I can help at the horse show. John, too, probably. Just let me know what you need. I forgot what date is it and where (Yaphank)?
    Please advise.

Thanks.

Bonni
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LURKNNOMORE:

Did everyone know that Jane is a designer-maybe get her imput for a classy logo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lurkn, but you forgot to mention my rate...just kidding! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'll be more than happy to help out if needed...not just the designing part (I suspect the LIPHA already has a logo), but also anything else, from horse show stuff to website. I do have some experiece with t-shirt design (this one is for GoldDust: I designed a line of vampire T's that was quite popular years ago at one of Anne Rice's balls...you should've seen the one for Louis de Pointe du Lac, blood tears and all! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

I agree with Gold Dust that it'd be a good idea to look into the by-laws for voting eligibility.
    A number of people, myself included, are very interested in joining and getting involved, it
    could definitely be a big boost to membership.

I also think timedjumpoff has some really good ideas, and I agree with both timed and Mary that a mailing list is crucial to keep members informed. Just about everyone's online these days, but those who aren't shouldn't have to suffer the "consequence". Besides, all are not aware of the COTH BB, even the 'net savvys.

[This message was edited by Jane on Oct. 11, 2001 at 12:11 AM.]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

I have just been informed by the powers that be ANY MEMBER may vote. So, all you non-members e-mail Mrs. Rice to find out where to send the checks please.[or just do it at the meeting I guess] Then we will see all you newbies on Nov. 5th!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jane-please let Mary F. know for me. What is her e-mail address?
    Stevie Nicks

I think you meant to say that any senior member of the LIPHA MAY VOTE. Apparently the LIPHA bylaws have no stipulation about when a member becomes a member.In otherwords our bylaws are different than the National PHA bylaws.
    Brilyntrip

Since I just moved to Long Island and will start showing soon, what should I join??????? We had our associations in CT, but now that I am in NY, I need to join here!!! ANY ADVICE????????

Barb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    **BARB***

Guess I forgot to leave out that one important element!!!

Gwen, joining the PHA is a must. It will keep you updated on all goings on. Please, we'd love to see you at the next meeting.

Jane= Halloween is coming up!. We need to talk! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

That's great...where do they do the meetings and how often..I would love to get involved with Long Island stuff!!! It would be great to get to know some people and have some fun!!!! How can I get a form to fill out for the PHA???? That will be the first thing I do

Barb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    **BARB***