The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mud solutions?

Hi folks--with all the rain I once again have mud issues around my barn. One side was graded to have a swale in front of the 10' overhang area to keep water diverted from the barn (the ground on one side is higher than the area the barn sits on)--the swale certainly does it job, but creates a mud ditch in itself. My horses have to go through this to get under the overhang or go into their stalls. Since they often come in at a gallop, they can do some scary sliding about.

Has anyone found any kind of solution for this--if stone, what size/kind or what other drainage material might work? I want something that won't hurt their feet/legs or get trapped in shoes. I'm going to have to add some sand to my arena, so thought it would be a good time to fix this mud problem too, while the contractor would have his heavy equipment here. I had put sand there in the past, but it worked its way into the clay and disappeared. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Renaissance Lady; Jun. 13, 2012 at 03:50 PM.