The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Yesterday, after a hay hauler tipped the authorities, 114 horses who have been starved and neglected are beginning to be cared for.

The paper reports they were not abused other than the fact these morons just had way too many horses and not enough money to care for them properly. I am told their feet are the worst the vets have ever seen, and our community is rallying. My vet has taken in 20 of the worst , but there are so many to have to treat. It sounds like they haven't been handled, so are essentially wild. What a shame. Sheriffs have not yet charged them, but they could face multiple counts which could be punishable by up to 10 years in jail and a $200,000 fine.

I will try to post a link if this story is on line, but if anyone feels generous, Deschutes County has set up a Save The Horses fund. It costs about $60 week to care for each of these animals, as they require extraordinary care. How profoundly sad.

Thank you, please jingle and pray for these poor poor horses,they did nothing wrong and are paying for it with their lives. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Don't misunderestimate me. I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.

[

[This message was edited by lilblackhorse on Feb. 22, 2003 at 08:24 PM.] http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by lilblackhorse on Mar. 02, 2003 at 12:37 PM.]
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Yesterday, after a hay hauler tipped the authorities, 114 horses who have been starved and neglected are beginning to be cared for.

The paper reports they were not abused other than the fact these morons just had way too many horses and not enough money to care for them properly. I am told their feet are the worst the vets have ever seen, and our community is rallying. My vet has taken in 20 of the worst , but there are so many to have to treat. It sounds like they haven't been handled, so are essentially wild. What a shame. Sheriffs have not yet charged them, but they could face multiple counts which could be punishable by up to 10 years in jail and a $200,000 fine.

I will try to post a link if this story is on line, but if anyone feels generous, Deschutes County has set up a Save The Horses fund. It costs about $60 week to care for each of these animals, as they require extraordinary care. How profoundly sad.

Thank you, please jingle and pray for these poor poor horses,they did nothing wrong and are paying for it with their lives. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

[

[This message was edited by lilblackhorse on Feb. 22, 2003 at 08:24 PM.] http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by lilblackhorse on Mar. 02, 2003 at 12:37 PM.]
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/sto...?story_no=8338

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Hi LBH - I live here in Portland and saw this on the morning news. These poor horses feet were so long they curled back on themselves, never in my life have I seen hoofs that long. The news also reported that a few of them had to be euthanized. The fact it happened in my back yard (well almost) hits home even more. I'm definitely thinking about sending some money along to help these guys out. I WISH i had some land to take a few of them and nurse them back to health. I hope their owners feel the full extent of the law and are punished severly.

"Friends don't let friends reply to all"
    \"Friends don\'t let friends reply to all\"

It is such a tragedy, and in light of all the nastiness on this bb lately, I am sad and hurt that people continue to (pardon the expression) beat a dead horse on inconsequential topics when here is one that IS horse related.....isn't this what people wanted? For us to show compassion to horses? It makes me sick that hardly anyone has even opened this thread.

I for one am going to give all the money I can to help these poor horses-it can't be cheap for my vet to house and provide care to those 20 that he took in. I believe that they put down 5 horses on the scene yesterday, more may follow. I am told they are in really rough shape.

Thanks for caring, aimee

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

LBH - I read the article that you gave a link to and it said that a local bank was accepting donations. Now, I don't live in the deschutes area, but I'd still like to help out. Do you have any idea of how someone from out of town can donate some money. I'd be willing to send your vet a check to help her out even. I think I'll look around on some news stations and see if I can find any info. If you know though, please let me know. I'm going to talk to our barn owners and fellow riders and see if anyone else can help out here. If I had my own place I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Thanks,
    Erica

Alrighty -

I just went to the KGW.com website and found a story that had some information, slightly different and with some phone numbers that might be helpful.

The URL is starving horses

C'mon fellow PNW'ers let's help these poor guys out!

Thanks for this information. It is sad, but situations like this and the situation in MN are things that I probably wouldn't hear about, until much later, if not for this kind of post. Thanks again

LBH the bank name is mentioned, but no address. even if a phone # is there, most people will not call. If you list the full bank name and full address I think you would get more response. Is there a name for this rescue to put on the check memo?

I went to the KW whatever site and it wants you to register, which I'm not interested in doing just to get info.

I'll gladly send a check to help with a rescue as long as I know where it is going, to whom, and what for.

OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

didn't realize they didn't have an address.

Checks can be made to "Save the Horses"
    c/o Bank of the Cascades
    1100 NW Wall St
    Bend OR 97701
    (541) 385-6200

Questions regarding the save the horses fund can be directed to the Deschutes County Sheriff's office at (541) 617-3310.

I am now told there are more like 170 horses, not the 117 we were first led to believe there were. I bought three bags of grain today, and will buy more, and our event group is going to pool our funds and buy a ton of hay. The scale of this type of tragedy is so large in a town of 50,000....that's a lot of horses.

ps, you may also email me at aimeesue@bendcable.com if you have questions or would like to help. Thank you all for your interest.

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

How could some one have that many horses and no one knows about it until they are starving? Are you in such a rural area (note: this is not a snarky question) that there are no zoning regs? Neighbors? Passing cars?

You can only know as much joy as you've known sorrow; only as much success as you've known adversity.
    New York Horse Rescue

this was in a rural area, about 20 or more miles out of town, and can we say rural? Envision sagebrush...that's it. I am sure they were off the road, am told they had 20 acres.

I just don't understand how people could be getting deeper and deeper into this and not asking for help, or even sending these horses to auction. I am told their feet are so long they are curling up, farriers are reporting it's the worst abuse they have ever seen.

I will know more tomorrow when I stop at my vet's to deliver the grain....

so, in a nutshell, yes we are in the middle of nowhere (even our governer called us that one time)--no zoning in the high desert if you are out of the city limits of course. This is the land of large ranches (100's of 1000's of acres of sage and juniper). Pretty, but certainly no grass for horses.

It's a tragedy. However, there are a lot of horse people, and they are rallying. A small glimmer of hope.

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Living where I do that's hard for me to imagine. 170 is a LOT of horses.

You can only know as much joy as you've known sorrow; only as much success as you've known adversity.
    New York Horse Rescue

I saw a news updated at lunch today, the condition of these animals is absolutely horrifying. Most of their feet were so long that SAWS had to be brought in to trim down the feet. The news anchor help up a chunk of overgrown hoof bigger than his palm. The horses are all incredibly emaciated, some are pregnant and as of yet none of the horses have been euthanized.

The area where this happened is about 3 hours southwest of Portland, an area that has a lot of ranches of fairly big expanses of land. It's very rural. Think the old west kinda thing.

The thing that really gets me about the whole thing is that the didn't ask for help. Why didn't they donate the horses to a rescue, sell them, auction them? I don't know if these people are malicious or incredibly uncaring and stupid.

From what I can read and hear a lot of horsepeople are coming to the aid of these animals. Vets, farriers and ranchers are donating their time and money to try and get these animals well. As you can imagine for 170 animals in such poor condition there's a desperate need for money. Also, as of yet, no charges have been filed in the case. I hope soon though!

Now, I have to go home and figure how much I can donate. I'm going to harass my fellow barnmates as well. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

LBH - Thanks for posting the mail address. I'm going to send of a check asap, as well as one to your vet who's helping out.

This is truely heartbreaking and gutwrenching for these poor animals. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I'm giving my Virgil and extra big hug.

When I talked to the sheriff deputy today, he said they are crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's to make sure they have a really good case (hard to imagine how they couldn't!).....I mentioned they should be hung up by their balls and left to rot in their pasture. He concurred.

Thank you so very much everyone-yes, we are a pretty rural area here (other than the town, which is touristy)....lots of rancher type people. I haven't seen the news reports other than a blip this am. \will go see the 5 pm newscast now to see an update....wonder if this is big enough to hit national news?

I too am going to hang a notice up in our barn, but living here, every horse person has heard of it,and at the feed store a gal dumped a bunch of cash into the pot as I stood and waited to pay for my grain. People are good, there are just some rotton apples in the barrel sometimes.

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

the people, a couple in their 60's (wife 61, husband 67) were arrested today on 128 counts of animal abuse.

They showed my vet, he has 30 of the horses-the farrier was standing there huffing and puffing with a saw taking off inches and inches of hoof. The horse they showed looked like it had moon blindness....other than that, just skinny and matted and scary feet.

He said they are resiliant and will most likely bounce back with good care-so, glad to hear the scum will spend time in jail, but most likely if they are fined, they have no money to pay.

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

and am having trouble with the sheer size of this undertaking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]. As they said, not just the immediate care, but the rehab that might go on for years (as well as getting them broke etc).

I will definitely donate when I'm home at Christmas.

Thanks for posting this,

Alixe

I cannot imagine how cruel someone must be to neglect 1 horse, much less 170 poor innocent animals!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] I hope these people get exactly what they deserve.

I am jingling & jangling from across the US!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Riding- the art of keeping a horse between yourself & the ground"

**Co-founder of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**
    ** Proud owner of a geriatric Arab, a primadonna TB show hunter, and one grouchy Appaloosa Miniature Horse**

For those who do not know Eastern Oregon, it is miles and miles of the most beautiful , desolate rangeland in the region. Then down through a short but amazing canyon and BOOM you are in Bend. I have only visited Bend from the eastern approach. After that drive from Malheur ( 5 hours?) I am so overjoyed at the smallest sign of civilization that I have never explored that interesting looking canyon ( I think it has a "horse" name LBH?)

Wild horses still roam not far from Bend.. I can see how it would be very easy for someone not to "notice" something like this horrible situation..

It is terrible and highly likely that this is a case of diminished capacity or mental impairment. "Animal Collecting" is recognized as a mental disorder. Often the people cannot perceive that the animals are in a bad way. Often they think that they can be the only Savior of the animals. They cannot see the horror the same way an anorexic cannot see or accept that they are abnormally emaciated.

I will remember this fund in my year end giving.

Thanks LBH

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Northern VA, USA - where farm land is being lost to McMansions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hoopoe:
    It is terrible and highly likely that this is a case of diminished capacity or mental impairment. "Animal Collecting" is recognized as a mental disorder. Often the people cannot perceive that the animals are in a bad way. Often they think that they can be the only Savior of the animals. They cannot see the horror the same way an anorexic cannot see or accept that they are abnormally emaciated<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But this quote is so true, I am an avid watcher of Animal Precinct (I know it's junky TV but I love that show) There are so many cases of folks who are animal collectors and they are totally clueless on their abuse--they think they love their animals but just don't realize their abuse to them. I watched an episode last week where they removed 250+ cats from this guys house, there was cat cr*p to the ceilings, carcasses, wild cats, sick cats, etc., but this guy loved his cats and truly thought what he was doing was "saving" them. He is a sick man, and not that there is any excuse, but lets hope that is the reason these people did this to those poor horses, they very well maybe mentally ill.

Thanks for posting about this plight, I hope we can help in some way, I'll be sending a donation, though cash is tight right now, every bit can help.

Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com
    Pinto & Colored Warmbloods Stallions
    Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com Warmblood Pintos