The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frozen Semen/Fertility

Aside from motility and progressive motility, what makes semen more or less fertile ?
    IOW's, when assessing frozen semen fertility, what do you look for ?
    What are acceptable numbers for motility ?
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
    Aside from motility and progressive motility, what makes semen more or less fertile ?
    IOW's, when assessing frozen semen fertility, what do you look for ?
    What are acceptable numbers for motility ?
    Thanks !
    What makes it fertile is if it has shown to produce viable pregnancies. I think that frozen needs to have something like 25-30% motility to be considered "acceptable", but people really like to see it much higher. That being said, I'm two for two on frozen Hofrat, and the motility was only about 20%! I've also heard that sometimes, semen can look very good under the scope, yet still not produce pregnancies. I'm sure others with more knowledge could chime in.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Default Frozen fertility

Motility does NOT equal fertility. It is an indicator. BUT, there is an enzyme or enzymes on the head of the sperm that must be 'working' to allow for penetration through the egg 'shell' or membrane. Some think freezing can damage this enzyme and so the sperm can be motile but not fertile. Just one idea. I agree, what makes it fertile is proving it on mares. That is the only criteria I use and I stand a stallion and have had my own stallion frozen in the past. I collected and processed LOTS of semen and tried to read and learn from anyone and everyone. I will not pay for semen that is not proven. I DID take some for free to help prove a stallion with the idea to pay a minimal amount of money if it worked. It did and the stallion was Rhodes Scholar. I have his daughter Rheining Scholar who just produced Highland Scolar by Rousseau...all that said the freezing is better today and most of it works BUT there is a huge difference between acceptable and great semen. I like great, thank you....

all that really counts is the amount of pregnancies, and how many tries it took. 10% is tough odds, but can do it. 60% with inflammation causing semen wont get the job done.
    (Having said that, if your vet does a good pre anti-inflammatory protocol, lots of the tougher semen will work)

And of course, lots of awful looking frozen semen will get the job done if the therio is great. Really, I would say, if the vet is great, has hig success rate with frozen semen, a lot of bad looking semen will be ok.

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

O.K. so, basically what you all saying is that, so to speak, the proof is in the pudding ?
    I.E. whether the stallion/semen is fertile can only be determined ex post by the % of achieved pregnancies ? Is it, then, futile to even look at the semen after insemination ?
    Thanks !