The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

as I just love to remember the area back when it was such a wonderful place to live!! Before all the multimillion dollar homes perched on hillsides waiting to go down in a landslide -- don't these people learn??

Beezer, yes, Maria did have an appy, but his name was Duke. What a cool horse he was. Would jump over jumps left in the arena when he was turned out. Quincy was a very dark bay that Maria bought not long before she quit riding. Neat that she is getting back into riding after all these years. One other name that came to mind is Julie Gibbons with Ben (can't rembmer his show name) and Terri Richards with Standing Room Only. Hmmm and their was a girl there too named Brandy that rode with Bob and Debbie too that was really good.

And yes, Judy Martin's place in LA was (and still is I think) called Seahorse as well. Or is it gone??

And Merry I loved your post on the "rich vs. not so rich" thread. Back in the days at the fairgrounds, I never had much money to show. I had to ride the bus or my bike (traffic wasn't so bad back then although going past the airport could be scary!) from Irvine to the barn which took an hour after school every day. Then I cleaned, groomed, and rode whatever they would send my way. (I should note that Richard's Mom worked REALLY hard to give him what she did, and I don't mean to take that away at all.) I was lucky to work for many trainers over the years that let me have an occational break on a wonderful ride from time-to-time. So now, my motto I think is much like yours, I try to make my own horses and whenever possible give rides to hardworking, talented juniors who have the desire but not the funding to have quality horses.

doubleclearjumper: You've got to be kidding? You had your horse at Dixie's on Laguna Canyon Road? When? Were you there when that young boy, Manuel, rode there?And Liza's married name is Mortimer. She's an AHSA judge and a trainer at Del Mar Horsepark. I taught lessons at Dixie's with Liza and kept my horse boarded there during my first few years in college. (My one experience with being "pro" and see how it soured me? Amateur for life!).

Dixie was a... tense person. I totally lost it when I found out she disposed of two of the oldest school horses. I thought she had the dear old things put down. But no, she proudly told me she sold them to a pack station!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Needless to say, that was it!

Joe Lifto's place was called Stoneridge and it was down the back road from Dixie's. I met/knew Joe when he had just stopped riding in rodeos! Wow, and I knew Bob soon after he had stopped selling furniture!

My sister's post (Beezer) about the alleged horsekeeping lots in our town is so true and very sad. When we moved out here it was totally rural. We came straight from the Orange Co. Fairgrounds to our own place, with this great view of the hills and a valley. We could hack thru the hills on our show horses forever. Now, we can see Target and Starbucks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Although I am up North the area is changing just like you are talking about. YUCK
    I was also one of those kids that worked for the trainer and braided etc. I am teaching all my students these skills because you never know when you will need to make extra cash. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] I am going to sign off now because I am to tired to type up more memories of the good old days. I never thought I would refer to the 70's as the good old days. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Re South Pacific, last I heard she was still looking for a culprit.

C&C, do you mean Richard Spooner? His mom is at my barn. She's a scream - we just love her. She knows now to take orders for stuff whenever she's off to Spruce Meadows or World Cup, and has become our official personal shopper.

Sycamore is still there and has a waiting list. Most of the stables in San Juan are full, and the city is looking for land to build more. Fortunately it is remaining a horsey community.

Has anyone been into the barns at The Oaks/Blenheim? Had a leisurely walk through there during the George Morris clinic and was drooling. I was also really surprised to see that giant stallion Joan Irvine used to have living at RJ's. The 18.1 Holstein ... damn, the name escapes me ...

Where did Betsy Breen go?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Coreene: Didn't you ever hear/remember about Betsy's awful accident? Where the horse flipped over with her and jellified her brain? There were charity shows, etc. From what I recall, her mom totally took care of her and helped nurse her back to health. I have not seen her personally, but I understand she did begin riding again to some extent. Remember she rode all those jumpers like Grandstander for Joe Lifto?

Gosh, you're right, I had totally forgotten. I lived overseas for a few years and I think it happened when I was gone.

Thanksgiving marked five years since I did the Humpty Dumpty headfirst on cement and I still have a few problems with it on occasion, so I can only imagine how bad it must have been for her.

I propose a Topic Vote that one day we all meet up and reminisce.

Other names from the past/questions: does Anita Linn still work with Mickey Hayden? What ever happened to Tammy Hickock? I know she was doing jumpers still when I was working at Santa Ana Feed (the old one on First and Grand) while in college. That's more carbon dating.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I don't think Dixie ever liked me. She trailered my horse to Laguna Beach from Monrovia. He was kept in the box stall barn on the east side, the very southerly stall on the end. It was $90 a month! She absolutely castigated me for my TB not standing for the farrier when he was being shod (I was not there at the time). His nice leather halter was destroyed, so he must have had a severe pulling match with the hitching post and won! She mellowed out when I took on more hours at work and couldn't get out to the stable as often -- then she sweetly offered for a student of hers (who did not have a particular caliber of horse) to use my horse in her lessons. I obliged this, but eventually moved him to Huntington Beach on Edwards. Until then, I drove out twice a day, before and after work to ride, coming down the 405-Laguna Canyon Road from Huntington Beach. Guess I had the energy then! Sorry, I don't remember the young man you mention.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Ha! I can beat Merry to the answer re Tammy! She actually rides out of the farm in Temecula where Merry and I send our "kids" out for their first days with a rider. (We do all the groundwork and backing at home, then they go away to kindergarten for walk-trot-canter-with-a-rider lessons, then come home for Merry to, ahem, "finish" them before Beezer climbs aboard for her joy rides. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ))

All together now: "It's a small world after all! It's a small world after all!"
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

BEEZER! My goose pimples now have goose pimples. Does Tammy still have her own horses or is she riding for other people?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

that we probably know each other?? Or at least know OF each other??

Anyway, not sure if Tammy "officially" owns any horses herself. She's one of the main riders at Hunter Hill (Sandy Nissen's place), still shows on occasion and judges. But mostly she rides the babies.

As for Mickey Hayden, I haven't seen him in awhile. I remember the name Anita Linn but can't really recall hearing it around the shows recently. But that doesn't mean much ... I hang around the jumper rings mostly these days and have discovered, as I've gotten endlessly older, that my neurons are basically too filled up to pay attention to much more than the course directly ahead of me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Hey now, I'm double-dipping in on this! Tammy is married and has a little girl. She totally stopped riding for a while, but got back into it; came out to Sandi's place, and away she went! She still looks about the same as when she was a kid: small, dark hair, very gutsy, accurate rider.

As for the Betsy Breen accident, gosh, that was about 15 yrs. ago, I'm thinking. It happened outside the ring at a big show (LAEC?) and her horse reached around, caught his bit in the stirrup iron, and before she could rectify the situation, he flipped up and over!

throwing this to the top. yes, coreen, I did refer to Richard Spooner. Seems I didn't totally delete the reference I wrote about him. What I was really trying to say was that he and I rode in the same ring at that same time taking our lessons when we were teenagers, and when he really started to get well know I remember feeling so jealous!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Yes his Mom is incredible!! and I'm sure she is every bit as generous and helpful now as she was back then.

Anita Lynn is one of my old trainers too. I haven't heard anything about her in several years although I did see a Mickey Hayden add in Horses Magazine (which I now only purchase just to see the old names from time-to-time) from him a year or two ago.

OK, I got one for you OC people. Does anyone remember a trainer that was at the fairgrounds named George.... can't recall the last name and its making me crazy. His wife and daughter rode and taught with him in a small barn. I remember him riding this awesome GP horse when I was pretty young, and I also recall my trainer saying that the horse was eventually sold (for a tidy little sum) to an east coast rider (Margie?? -- my memory cells are working overtime). And if I remember correctly the horse was The Natural. Can anyone confirm??

C&C, I know who you mean but now I can't remember his surname. I'm not going to the barn today (have spent a glorious day shopping in LA for things for me and not for my horse, which only happens once a year), but I'll find out tomorrow and post it on Monday.

Last that a friend heard re Mickey H was three years ago; he was at Nellie Gail and Anita's mom was doing his office work. Anita had been working for him, but who knows now. I don't know if Mickey is still there - we had zillions out at Huntington Central Park Equestrian Center for the (used to be GTE) Summer Classic in August, and though I think he was there I'm not 100%.

Beezer, email me at coreene@yahoo.com so we can find out if we do actually know each other. Do you live near EVA? This is the only place I know in Yorba Linda, but I think my vet lives there now, too (Christina Garloff).

When you rode with Bob, did Kim Ostman still ride with him? She was a few years older than me, but I remember I was madly in love with her horse Fun N Games.

Doubleclearjumper, do you remember when Rosie Hennes had her four or five stalls behind Huntington Crest, which was previously Horse World and Gold Bar before that? Where was your horse in HB?

Oh, the memories. I had my first horse at Meadowlark. This is really going back a long ways. They still had 8-track tapes then.

Am now blowing the carbon dating materials off my sleeves...
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Ha ha, I've beaten my sister to the punch on this one.

You mean George Meyer. He came from to the Or.Co. Fairgrounds from Peacock Hill... now THERE'S a barn from the past!Carbon date that place, Coreene! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Beezer bought the horse Beezer from George when he was at Peacock Hill and had stopped teaching high school and gone into training full-time. We owned that horse for 24 years!

George's wife (Carol?) died of cancer about 10 years ago. We had the same doctor, so that's how I found out. It was hopeless (I believe breast cancer that had metast. to bone quickly). He has remarried. He now trains at Sycamore Trails in San Juan, and his place is Pacifica Jumpers. Every now and then I run into him at a show. He's always very cordial. Kind of funny that way, how when you both know where each other started from, the humble beginnings, how that sort of breeds familiarity and a level of respect. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The horse you're referring to that George was the agent for at $1M was... gosh dang it, I can see the stupid beast in my mind... it was a dark bay with a white stripe. AUGGH! I don't think it was the Natural...

Paging my sister...

Was the horse Pressurized? Ridden by Leslie Lenehan?

But I now live in OC and just bought a new horse and keep her at El Toro stables. I searched high and low for a barn to keep her at and visited many barns in OC. I was shocked at how full all of them were and many totally dilapidated. I started to conceive a plan to build a great new eq. center off the 405 near the Laguna freeway. Well turns out that area isn't zoned for that but I may be looking into an area on the 133 towards the beach. I have a name of someone at the Irvine Company that owns that land so I just need to call and see if it is at all feasible. Hopefully my job in real estate will help me but if anyone has any ideas, tips, can offer moral support, i'd appreciate it!

Ding-ding-ding! Alright, RAF! Honest to goodness, the name came to me while I was sitting in the movies tonight ("The Pledge" w/ Jack Nicholson). Yes, the horse was Pressurized! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was just wracking my brain trying to remember that stupid name. I knew it started with a "P".

You may proceed to the head of the class! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Chef: Yes, many of the stables in OC are dilapitated, especially the old ones. As for horse keeping property, come east, come east! Orange Park Acres, parts of Fullerton and Yorba Linda, Norco, Temecula, etc. Lots of horse property of all calibres and values will only go up!Take the toll road to cut over to the 91 Fwy.

Coreene: Last time I saw Mickey Hayden in the flesh was at Ride America this past year on warm-up day. Since I had my 3yr. there for the weekend just to "camp on", I didn't pay any attention as to whether Mickey showed or not.

And I do remember Meadowlark stables, on the lop-sided hill in "old" Huntington! I was probably 14 or 15 the few times I went there. The trainer lady there always had a string of horses and ponies for sale. I went with my trainer; I was the guinea pig kid who got to try everything.

I used to live in Sunset Beach at the very last house (the gray one) on the beachfront across from the water tower. So many kids used to climb it at night, we used to yell at them to get down! I used to drive up past Meadowlark Airport on Warner to get to work. Are there horses still there (you see horse droppings along the mesa in back of the wetlands bordered by PCH)? I cannot even remember the name of the stable on Edwards I was at! I was not there long because they wanted the boarders to train with their instructor or leave beause so many people came looking to board when stables were being sold in the area and stall space became tight. The fee they wanted I felt was too high, so I did not stay.

Well, this is sort of late in the conversation, but Gretchen Tank is definitely still around and going strong! She lives in San Bernadino County I believe. She occasionally trains my trainer at shows, and has been out to our barn a few times. In fact, I just saw her at the show at LAEC today!