The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I hope that my horse makes it to a very old age. He will be 19 this year. His dad is still breeding at 27, and I hope he makes it to at least that, greying and happy. May he have a Shetland Pony age theory in his Warmblood life.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Beezer, that is such a nice story! Personally, I wouldn't expect any less from Alison. I worked for her until I moved down here to So. Ca, and she loves her horses so much. They get the best care, she's very low key and doesn't campaign them too hard. I'll have to send her an e-mail.

Coreene, we should drive up together, but I must warn you-I have all the clinics I want to see scheduled down to the minute, and I have very little room for flexibility!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm sorry, feeling a bit cheeky here at work today. By the way, I'm in Costa Mesa, off Red Hill right by the airport. The noise is mind numbing.
    "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Original Poster

Oh - well, maybe we should check out this schedule thing out then. I have this potential to get very itchy with all the clinics. Much easier for me to shop and bail. Maybe we should rendezvous this weekend and swap notes. Or you should email me which ones you're going to. Or we should just all cluster up while there.

SO did Dave get an adjustment from Gesa? Willem did, it was bliss. His eyes are now very big.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Last saw Twinkie at the Pebble Beach Classics last July with a really nice amateur horse (what else?)
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

oops Spunky - I tried to catch you before you made the call. Oh well! She caters to kids almost exclusively.

Good luck!

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Pam M Maggie is still very involved in the show world. She actually came and judged Menlo in '97 I believe. Looked great too. Still doing her lawyer thing, and has gotten more involved with racing. Actually saw her interviewed on either 20/20 or 60 minutes concerning some bad guy from Ohio. She was great.

I'll find you this weekend and we'll figure things out. I get bored during clinics as well, but I'm at my wits end with Dave's spookiness and need a fresh outlook on how to handle it. I also would like to see the clinic on regaining your riding confidence/boldness. I've been scared and hurt by so many horses in my past, and it's really affecting my relationship with Dave.

Ooooo I love Gesa, she is a really neet lady. Dave was in heaven, and was out in so many places. He feels so much better now, even looks better-much smoother along his topline.
    "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Original Poster

The older Willem gets, the spookier he is. It must be a Brown Guy thing. How about having him work with Andy? He has done WONDERS with Willem. Like night and day. And that has done wonders with me, too. It was so bad with me that I was in the corner of my stall vomiting for at least half an hour before getting on. I was just so scared that he was going to bolt every time I mounted. And 99% of it was totally baseless.

Now, although it's not my favorite thing in the world (the actual mounting part), it's much, much better and we are even enjoyng ourselves an awful lot and going on trails. And I credit Andy for almost all of it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Oops. Sorry Spunky for what was obviously a bum steer toward Park Place. Just have seen her sign at the OC Fairgrounds offering lessons, so thought I'd offer up a possibility. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

I havn't met or heard anything about Andy. It seems like everyone has been offering to either ride Dave themselves or send him to one of a million trainers.

I'm really looking for someone who is kind, as Dave has had so many meanies in his life thus far. I also want someone I can work WITH, not just send my horse away for training. I need to learn how to deal with his specific personality. I will definatly talk with you this weekend.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

You could fly up and see WTFalso! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Original Poster

Then we'll for sure talk. Andy has worked with both of us and it's been a real help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SPUNKY I'll call you at your hotel and we'll definitely try and do lunch on Friday, how fun!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Honestly, I haven't taken a lesson in decades on another barn's horse, so I am totally clueless where to send you! I just thought of a few names of folks who give lessons. And, at least out in this area, the solid 3ft. horse is usually sold to someone to use at the county shows, LOL, it ain't a school horse. Now, if you want a lesson doing crossrails in a two-point... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Coreene, on the HB show info. Isn't it amazing how riders either support a show or they don't? There is just no middle ground. They come once, if they don't like the footing, food, management, the people working the back gate, the flowers around the jump--- they won't come back.

And the old Del Mar photo is actually very educational and enlightening, isn't it? Look at all the people in the grandstand. It's packed! So when we, as an industry, start belly-aching about not attracting spectators & sponsors, we need to look BACK and figure out what went wrong!

(Just my nostalgic 2cents here) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

where the East meets the West, and the North meets the South!!

Regarding the Flintridge era you mention. Was'nt Melissa Cardinas (Johnson) a rider then too? With Susie H., and Anne K. ? Bumpkin also mentioned earlier in this post a Jimmy Kohn (sp?). Didn't Melissa also ride with him? He is the trainer who moved out to PA. and passed away last year,am I correct? Also, Did Melissa have a big Hanovarian breeding program at one time? Sorry for all the Q's(?), but I'm just curious. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm.... I don't recall the Cardenas girl myself, but you must remember I was kind of boy crazy at the time (hence the Kosti/Kenny stories earlier!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But I so totally remember Jimmy Kohn. If I thought long enough some of his horses out here would come back to me. (Paging Beezer... Will Beezer please come to the front desk...) Jimmy did practically all jumpers, as I recall. His place was called Horses LTD., and he also operated quite a sales barn out of there. I just remember being told to watch him ride, that I could learn a lot from him. So, what happened to him? How did he die? Was it a riding accident? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Actually I have Bumpkin to thank. She told me about you.

With you being so boy crazy, maybe you knew Richard Johnson? He rode too, but is now in Hawaii.

As far as Jimmy goes, I believe he was sick, I'm not really sure. He had only just moved out to Pa. in '97 I believe (with his wife), and started a farm in Unionville raising young ones. Check with our very own "Chronicle" for details related to his passing.

I quess Melissa Cardinas Johnson will remain a mystery.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Ages ago (late 60's), I tried out a horse when Jimmy was up in Northern California (Portola Valley) at Berry Hill Farm. I realized when I moved to this area after college that some of the fields I had been cooling the horse out in afterwards had become the 280 freeway! I vaguely remember it being a nice facility - wonder if it still exists, and if so, is it still a h/j barn??
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I had a horse off the track that Bumpkin's race trainer left with me to ride and hopefully sell.
    He was a flashy large chestnut with chrome.
    Actually a sweet horse but he got me in the forehead while lunging him, and I now sport a horse shoe shaped scar on my hairline.
    Anyways shortly after that Jimmy Kohn bought him, and I was off to Europe for 4 years.
    I heard that the horse did very well and represented the USA, although not in the Olympics.
    This would have been I believe, approx. 1975-77. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Melissa Cardinas (Johnson) was discussed several pages back. She DID have a warmblood breeding operation outside of Santa Cruz in the 80's.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Pam, Yes believe me, I've read all the previous pages. But still haven't found all the answers on Melissa Cardinas Johnson. What happened, was she a rider for the USET? That's the biggie! Did she represent our team?

MO