The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would love to find a solution for my mare that isn't going to break the bank. She is miserable in the summer months and won't come out of her shed row stall and just mopes. It is so sad. She has this http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...and-fly-sheet/

But it doesn't help and it gets hot. We are in New Hampshire and I work during the day and we don't have fans in the shed row so I hate leaving her with something hot on but she is miserable. Now that the cold weather is here she is out and about and so much happier.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Cashela: you find that lighter weight mesh to get too hot?

I will never ever use a fly sheet here in the hot, humid South because I have never seen one that didn't make the horses hotter. A couple of boarders insisted on them a few years ago, but their horses were absolutely miserable in them. When we brought those horses in, they were so relieved to get the darned sheets OFF. And many of the fly sheets were quite damp on the underside, because the horses were sweating like crazy but the sheets were not breathable enough to let the moisture wick away.

OP, have you tried the protocol for double-doses of Ivermectin? There is a LONG thread on this forum about it. There were a lot of people commenting they were seeing good improvement in their sweet itch horses. FWIW, I used the Ivermectin IM (injection) many years ago on a mare that had suffered terribly for a long time from sweet itch - rubbed her mane and tail completely out every summer, had large open, raw, oozing sores along the crest of her neck and dock of her tail. The injectable worked GREAT - she grew a beautiful mane and tail for the first time in her adult life and was so much more comfortable through the summers. When they took the injectable off the market here in the U.S., a Canadian friend brought it to me. So, considering how well the injectable worked, I would certainly consider trying the Ivermectin double-dose protocol.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Dec. 31, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Honestly Froglander, yes, she gets sweaty hot in it, it's not really a great mesh, it's not like a screen, it is much smaller then that.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Bummer, good to know that Cashela as that had been one I had pondered at one point because it looked lighter weight!

Sometimes I feel really guilty for moving my horse down here