The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
    While I appreciate your 4 year old theory, I don't believe it....I mean, I won the VHSA Adult Medal Finals on a 4 yr old OTTB.....that I started as a 3 yr old....that is about 10-11 now, and still going strong, no problems. And that was a TB - not a NAW...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to paraphrase a line from a very famous movie... just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD. If you didn't want opinions, then you should have asked for them. Mine is that a horse shouldn't be jumping until 4. Hell, my mare is now 15, does Prelim level eventing, and was races as a YOUNG 2yo (like 26-28 months). She did it... does that mean that all others should too? Oh, and yes, she's a fine-boned TB (can be seen at [URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=846038&a=6149646&p=22495098&Sequence=0&res= high]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=846038&a=6149646&p=22495098&Sequence=0&res= high[/UR L] ). Talk to me when that horse is a few years old and then you can tell me what meds and supplements he needs to be on to stay sound. To each their own, but you did ask...
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I knew I could count on support from the NAWA founders! Others simply do not understand that our indian ponies are not only special, but they are tough!

Trust me, all non-believers - my NAW will be just fine cantering over 2'6" jumps with a 100 lb mom on his back. 2'6" is nothing more than a big canter step for the NAW!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by training level eventer:

Well, to paraphrase a line from a very famous movie... just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD. If you didn't want opinions, then you should have asked for them. Mine is that a horse shouldn't be jumping until 4. Hell, my mare is now 15, does Prelim level eventing, and was races as a YOUNG 2yo (like 26-28 months). She did it... does that mean that all others should too? Oh, and yes, she's a fine-boned TB (can be seen at [URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=846038&a=6149646&p=22495098&Sequence=0&res= high]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=846038&a=6149646&p=22495098&Sequence=0&res= high[/UR L] ). Talk to me when that horse is a few years old and then you can tell me what meds and supplements he needs to be on to stay sound. To each their own, but you did ask...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great picture!!!! Seriously!!!!

We're not ever going to be jumping stuff like that, though! I'm talking about a big canter step - not a "jump"...big difference!!!

Thanks. That's one of my favorites (oh, and it's only 3'3"... a training level fence, but one of my fav pics).

There IS a difference... in canter the horse CAN (and at that age IS) unbalanced and most probably on it's forehand most of the time. As the horse matures, it is able to carry more weight on it's hind end and hocks. THAT is what is needed to jump (and you can't tell me that a green-bean is going to NOT try and curl up and JUMP a fence). If they don't have that, then they are jumping incorrectly... and a- you're teaching them to do something wrong and b- you're probably doing more damage BECAUSE they are jumping incorrectly. If they ARE trying to curl up and actually JUMP, then you are doing damage to areas that aren't developed yet. It's a catch 22... damned either way!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Not Damned! The NAW has a NATURAL BALANCE - where it goes with it's hocks underneath it -- no forehand here!!!! IT's VERY broke on the flat - because of the way god made him. Yes, does flying lead changes already - very natural for him.

Not much curling up over 12" jumps....just giving him something fun to do - he likes it 2nd best to trail riding for 3 hours in the gulley....well, at least that's what the psychic said.

Well, I'd put my TB up against your NAW anytime in the category of natural balance! Besides, I thought you were talking about 2'6" jumps... not 12".

Colin, you're just too much! I can't keep up. I'll have to look you up next time I'm out that direction visiting relatives and we can compare notes (brother in CO. Springs, but almost all of mom's family is in the Salt Lake - Ogden area... I was born in Ogden ... moved to Sinus Valley (aka Ohio) when I was 12). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by training level eventer (edited 11-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by training level eventer (edited 11-22-2000).]

Colin, you had a psychic read your NAW too?!!!! Great NAW-owning minds think alike. We had one at the barn a couple of weeks ago. It was a riot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by training level eventer:
    almost all of mom's family is in the Salt Lake - Ogden area... I was born in Ogden ... moved to Sinus Valley (aka Ohio) when I was 12). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahah!!!!! Now it all makes sense....you're a native Utah person!!!!! No wonder!!!!

(just teasin...couldn't resist!!!)

Well, I'm probably the only one who thinks the IJF and IHF are a crock. NO ONE should be jumping horses that young. Since I'M an old crock, I have to go back to the "lore" garnered from all my teachers - people who rode in the hunt field, showed in Corinthian classes and evented: trotting poles and low fences (and hilltopping) at 4, no serious jumping until 5. I've had a number of horses over the years, and the ones who were not started until 4 or 5 were all still jumping well into their 20s, with few or NO soundness problems along the way. And Colin - several of them were "Native American Warmbloods" - Appaloosas.

I'm not sure if we allow Appaloosa's. I'm checking, though...could be wrong...will let you know. We do have SOME prejudices....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
    I'm not sure if we allow Appaloosa's. I'm checking, though...could be wrong...will let you know. We do have SOME prejudices....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...we all know why Indians rode Appaloosa's to the battles...so they would be good and mad when they got there!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VTrider:
    Well...we all know why Indians rode Appaloosa's to the battles...so they would be good and mad when they got there!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am HOWLING here, VTrider!!! Big time!

Yeah, those Appy's have quite the attitudes, don't they. Not sure if they "belong" in our precious NAWA or not....I know they can "multi task" but yipes - they have no tails! Icky!

Double what Goose said..triple, quadruple what she posted... but the sad truth is any yahoo can own a horse, and do anything they want with it, so whatever, go ahead, it's your horse, and you don't have to seek approval from anyone else. I don't see why we have these arguments here. For example, if I want to wait with my wb filly till she's a good four yrs old till she even sees a bridle or saddle, who'd jump all over me?
    NAW- known as the appy/Ahkel Teke cross?? At least that's how they're known here (Canada).

Goose? Are you referring to Moose?? How about "Moose the Goose"???

Yeah, those regular WB's take FOREVER to grow up! I would DEFINATELY wait for at least 4 yrs old!

Fortunately, our Native American Warmblood (there aren't any in Canada) horses are MUCH different...much more like the QH.

My own NAW has been cantering over x-rails for a few months now, and next summer will canter over some 2'6" jumps every so often. He will not compete until he is 4yrs old, and only at the 3'.....but by the time he gets there, he will have been so slowly brought into the wonderful world of jumping that it won't be a big deal for him.

[This message has been edited by Colin (edited 11-22-2000).]

You are KILLING ME, Moose!!!!

Soooo cute!!!! Have a GREAT turkey day!

-Betsy

I think it may be time for a meeting of the Founding Board of Governor's of the NAWA!!!!
    We reserve the right to continue to pass totally arbitrary rules that favor our own NAW ponies!!!!!! We also reserve the right to start jumping them whenever our psychics tell us they are ready. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Apaloosas, Arabs, pretty soon everybody who has a horse with a funny tail will be trying to get in!!!!!!!

Whoa there Morgan! Believe it or not Colin was just asking for opionions - don't flame her for it!

BTW - if you read her post you'll see that she specifically stated she wouldn't be jumping her NAW over 3ft until it was four. She was curious about what others thought about cantering a young horse over small jumps in the summer of its third year. She never said she was going to pound it into the ground like you're suggesting she is!

Anyhow, look at all those 3 year old stallions that undergo the 100 day test in Germany! They're jumping 3'6 courses by the fall of their third year! While I'm sure some will have the odd problem, many go on to by successful Grand Prix jumpers - so surely Colin's horse jumping the odd 2'6 cross rail is in much better hands?
    You Strike Me Still

Training Level Eventer, great photo! Looks like a blast! And wonderful example of an AR!

Jair - the Germans ADMIT they start their horses on joint supplements at a young age! Wonder why?

Thanks, Jair...owe ya one. I have just met with the other founders and we will be providing rules for the Native American Warmblood Association. We have already agreed upon the first rule:

NO MORGANS ALLOWED IN THE NAWA!!!!

I will have you know, Colin, that my NAW (registered with ApHC and ApSHA) has quite a nice long tail (thin, yes, but long), as did my prior NAW, a 16.3 grouch with another long (but thin) tail. I also lay claim to the designation "Native American Warmblood" having stated on this BB some time ago that I sometimes put that down under "breed" on entry blanks!

Strangely, my most foundation bred Appy had a thick, wavy black tail with a few white hairs in it. His general conformation and THAT TAIL led me to suspect that one of the "unknowns" in his pedigree might have been Morgan. His top line, however, was pure Appy into the mists of Idaho: by Toby K, by Toby II, by Toby, by Knobby, by Old Blue (End of pedigree). He was absolutely the hairy-est horse I've ever known and an intermediate level eventer!

Why do some people insist upon riding Appaloosas? Too poor to buy a horse, too proud to ride a cow.

What is the smallest building in the world? The Appaloosa Hall of Fame.

Why did the Indians ride Appaloosas? Only ones they could catch on foot.

*G*