The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Huh? It's not an estimate. I drive there 4 days a week, and go right through Reston on the toll road (and frequently get off the highway there to get gas/food). Why would you go to 66 from Reston unless you were all the way at the south end of town?

Going from Reston town center, south on 28 to 50 to Aldie, has only ever exceeded 25-30 minutes during the heart of rush hour.

Clearly YMMV, if you drive like me it takes a half hour. Drive like Bent Hickory, you are looking at an hour.

If you are living in Reston, believe me, southern Maryland is not an option. It is all the way around the south side of the Beltway from Reston, traffic is wretched and people drive like idiots once you hit PG county (after the Wilson bridge). I did that commute for 25 years and as of Monday, I will be living in Leesburg, five minutes from Pal and 20 minutes from my other horse.

I don't think Aldie or Middlbeburg would be a horrid commute for you but the greater Leesburg area might be a bit easier. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Clearly YMMV, if you drive like me it takes a half hour. Drive like Bent Hickory, you are looking at an hour.
    If they drive like you, then they should be able to go from Reston to Leesburg and points west in 15 minutes. Again, easier/quicker to get from Reston/Herndon to Leesburg than to Middleburg.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Going from Reston town center, south on 28 to 50 to Aldie, has only ever exceeded 25-30 minutes during the heart of rush hour.
    Big improvement after the traffic circles were put in.

The road work on 50 is making it ugly right now (often outside of rush hour) but when it's complete, I think it should be good.

Lots of new development going up on the route though.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have plenty of time to look around and test drive times. Hopefully I have found a fantastic solution already!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Yes, it would be slightly easier/shorter to get to Leesburg than Middleburg/Aldie from Reston, but if you want to have good trails/ride out, then Middleburg is a far better option, IMO. That isn't to say that there isn't hunt territory in Leesburg in which to hack out in, but it is more limited by subdivisions than you will find in the Middleburg-area.

I work just outside D.C. part-time, and live in Middleburg, and I have no problem whatsoever getting from work to home via the Toll Rd/Greenway. Sure, the tolls stink, but it is so much more convenient.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I boarded at Clairvaux in Leesburg (www.cveq.com) when I lived in NOVA 5 years ago. I was a working adult amateur at the time and I loved it and if I still lived in that area, I would definitely still be there. While there are clients that do the A circuit shows, she also shows at the VHSA associate shows. I only showed a couple times in the year that I was there and I certainly never felt pressured to show more. There are also a ton of trails in the immediate area surrounding the farm. I would recomment Terri and Clairvaux to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    A friend of mine used to board at this place and liked it - this was several years ago. Others on the BB might chime in. Since you are moving to Reston - as others mentioned it will be a good commute to many options in VA - Leesburg, Aldie, Middleburg etc. Reston Town Centre is also a great place - good restaurants, shopping etc..

http://mountainviewequestrian.com/boarding.htm
    I boarded here, had a terrible terrible experience, and moved my horses very quickly. I'd be happy to discuss it in PM. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

On a positive note, I live in near Reston, and I keep my horses in Lovettsville out in Loudoun County. It's not a fun drive. If cost wasn't an option, I'd go to Aldie/Middleburg area.

I'd recommend
    http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=84306
    Manager takes horse care seriously and nice facility with indoor, outdoor, cross country, even a racetrack. I didn't board here, but I boarded at another barn she managed. My friend boarded here though, and liked it. Good price for field board.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumVt View Post
    I boarded here, had a terrible terrible experience, and moved my horses very quickly. I'd be happy to discuss it in PM. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

On a positive note, I live in near Reston, and I keep my horses in Lovettsville out in Loudoun County. It's not a fun drive. If cost wasn't an option, I'd go to Aldie/Middleburg area.

I'd recommend
    http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=84306
    Manager takes horse care seriously and nice facility with indoor, outdoor, cross country, even a racetrack. I didn't board here, but I boarded at another barn she managed. My friend boarded here though, and liked it. Good price for field board.
    It's been 8 years since I boarded there and it was under different management, but I absolutely loved the facility and the location. Lots of hills and trails, which was so nice! For a brief time that I boarded there, I also lived in Reston, and the commute was very reasonable on the toll road. I will say that the only downside to the place was that the owners have/had a place to play paintball at the back of the farm so all the paintball customers had to drive past the main barn and outdoor arena just to get there. Some of those people could be real asshats, but other than that it was fine. I'm not sure if they're still running the paintball, though.

ETA: Upon further research, it appears that yes, the paintball IS still in operation there: http://www.hogback.net/

Over time would your SO consider living closer to Middleburg and commuting to Herndon?

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post
    Thanks again for all the suggestions! Wanted to update this to a more specific area. We just signed the lease for an apartment is Reston as my SO's office is getting moved to Herndon and I will be working from home. I've been scouring Va Equestrian for places in the Leesburg/Aldie/Haymarket/Mburg areas. Any other suggestions for barns near this area? Again, I appreciate any and all help. The good news is that I'll have almost a solid month after moving myself down before I need to worry about finding Nemo a home. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgirl View Post
    Over time would your SO consider living closer to Middleburg and commuting to Herndon?
    agreed, you could easily live in Leesburg and commute to Herndon, while you commute to your horse in Middleburg I live in Round Hill = about 10-15 miles west of Leesburg and my husband commutes to Reston, I think that same exit you mentioned. Takes him about 45-60 minutes but we're good with that to live out in the country. I go to Middleburg every day for horses, takes me just under 20 minutes. Life is good!!