The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boarding in NoVA? Update pst 15, Mburg/Leesburg/Aldie

It looks as if we will be moving to the NoVA area so looking for some advice/guidance. I don't need anything fancy, just good care with turn out. Don't have to have(would be a huge plus though) an indoor. Don't really want a training program. Would prefer there was a trainer there with some experience with OTTB's as he still has his moments. Don't want full care, I prefer to do my own. I'd like to eventually show but certainly not the A circuit and only a few times a year if at all. I'm doing this for fun. I really like a relaxed atmosphere with not a ton of pressure. Would love if there were some trails available. I'd like to stay within 30-45 minutes of the Alexandria/Falls Church area. What am I realistically looking to pay? Is what I'm looking for out there? Any suggestions/recommendations on where to start looking? Thanks ladies, I appreciate it. Feel free to PM, I'll need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by TatteredDaydreamer; Jun. 20, 2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Title Update
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Well sadly you won't be finding much 35=45 minutes from Alex/Falls Church - most barns will be a bit further out in Loudoun or Fairfax County. Barns vary from place to place so it's hard. Since you want self care it will be less for you..

I don't want self care, but I also don't need my horse groomed/tacked up for me any time I want to come ride. Sorry, maybe I misspoke. Anyone else?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

If you do a search on threads there are a plenty of them about boarding in NoVa. Depending on where you live it might be easier to board in Maryland.

Keep in mind that we have the terrible traffic here -- second only to LA. Most barns are going to be further out than 30 - 45 minutes from Alexandria/Falls Church even though as the crow flies you would think it should be faster. Glad to see you are not attempting self care as that can become a commuting nightmare.

Close in cost $$$ because it's there is limited supply. You might find a private barn somewhere. Most trainers' barns are further out.

The metro DC area is the 7th largest MSA in the United States. We have over 7.5 million people here. Land is being used for housing, not horses. It once was rural closer in, but hasn't been since the 1960's.

Good luck with your search. Expect to pay more than you want and drive further/longer than you want.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I JUST filled mt stall over the weekend but it was exactly what you are looking for, in Fairfax, and I charged $600/month. This includes full care and Platinum Performance supplements and there is access to an indoor, A-show trainer comes on-site, etc...

Your best bet will indeed be finding a private farm, the pickins' are slim...but put in the work and you will find something!

Try www.virginiaequestrian.com in the classifieds section or call up Clifton Saddlery, they often have knowledge of who has openings in the area.

E

I was born and raised in Loudoun. What you are looking for used to be right out your door when I was younger. We would hack our ponies down the Rt. 7 median strip.

I second the link for VA Equestrian.
    Try to find something close to you if possible. The problem there is that a normal 40 minute drive will turn into a 2hr drive with the over development and the gridlock. I left the area in the early 90s for this reason to move to Culpeper. Then the metropolitan mess followed south.
    For visiting my parents, the drive from Rappahannock County turned into 2-3 hours by the early 2000s.
    As someone said previously, depending on where you are, it may be better to go to MD.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Thanks for the advice ladies. I did take a quick peak at VA Eq and saw some places I want to investigate. The good news is that we have the luxury of moving further west if I find a place that I really like for Nemo to be closer.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Also think about southern MD. There are a couple up in Charles county.

Hideway Horse Center
    http://www.hideawayhorsecenter.com/index.html

Allen Sport Horses
    http://www.allancloversporthorses.com/

Look at the Equirey.

http://equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

sorry Tattered misread the "want to do my own" as self care. One thing is there are going to be plenty of options but sometimes finding a place that has a trainer that isn't full care/trainer's program can be challenging. I will say that for a metropolitan area with lots of traffic and ever encroaching suburbia it is still quite equestrian friendly. You could also check out the Equiery for some MD places as well. Depending on where you are in Alex or Falls Church sometimes MD is a better option...

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    Also think about southern MD. There are a couple up in Charles county.

Hideway Horse Center
    http://www.hideawayhorsecenter.com/index.html

Allen Sport Horses
    http://www.allancloversporthorses.com/

Look at the Equirey.

http://equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php
    From what I have been told directly by people who boarded there, I would be very hesitant to ever recommend the first place mentioned. I would, however, certainly recommend checking out Sam Allen's place.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    From what I have been told directly by people who boarded there, I would be very hesitant to ever recommend the first place mentioned. I would, however, certainly recommend checking out Sam Allen's place.
    I don't personally know anyone that has boarded there...just put it out there. I board further down in St. Mary's county which would be way further than she wants to go.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I know if you do some searching and asking around, there are a few private boarding barns in Great Falls and McLean - only a 20/30 (okay... 45 minutes during rush hour) drive from Alexandria. I do the drive daily (I work at a private barn in GF) and it's not too bad. I know that it's definitely expensive in those areas though - $900 is the cheapest I've seen. I wish you luck! If I hear of any barns in GF with a stall or two available I'll send a PM your way!

Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    If you do a search on threads there are a plenty of them about boarding in NoVa. Depending on where you live it might be easier to board in Maryland.

Keep in mind that we have the terrible traffic here -- second only to LA. Most barns are going to be further out than 30 - 45 minutes from Alexandria/Falls Church even though as the crow flies you would think it should be faster. Glad to see you are not attempting self care as that can become a commuting nightmare.

Close in cost $$$ because it's there is limited supply. You might find a private barn somewhere. Most trainers' barns are further out.

The metro DC area is the 7th largest MSA in the United States. We have over 7.5 million people here. Land is being used for housing, not horses. It once was rural closer in, but hasn't been since the 1960's.

Good luck with your search. Expect to pay more than you want and drive further/longer than you want.
    This is a pretty good summation of the situation. I have stalls available in Middleburg, and can check off every item on your list, but because my place is smaller (10 acres as opposed to many that are 50+) can't offer it for less than $850, or it's simply not worthwhile economically. There are places around that can and will do it for far less, but they are not as convenient to Alexandria/Falls Church (each is a good hour or more away) as you say you want.

If you are relocating, my suggestion would be to situate your horse(s) at an acceptable facility in the area while you settle in and determine what is realistic in terms of your commute to work/barn, etc.

A friend of mine, whose schedule at work was fairly flexible, used to commute to her barn in M'bg from Alexandria at off-peak hours. ie she rode in the mornings while everyone was driving to work, and then drove to Tyson's from Middleburg later in the morning without needing to fight the worst traffic, then back home to Alexandria in the early evenings. She found that her commuting times could vary wildly, however, depending on traffic accidents, or road work closures. So eventually she moved to M'bg. She still has to juggle commuting, it is not always easy or predictable.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Wanted to update this to a more specific area. We just signed the lease for an apartment is Reston as my SO's office is getting moved to Herndon and I will be working from home. I've been scouring Va Equestrian for places in the Leesburg/Aldie/Haymarket/Mburg areas. Any other suggestions for barns near this area? Again, I appreciate any and all help. The good news is that I'll have almost a solid month after moving myself down before I need to worry about finding Nemo a home. Thanks again!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

From Reston/Herndon, it is easier to get to Leesburg and points west than it is to get to Aldie/Middleburg. My twice monthly trips to Journeyman in downtown Middleburg take at least an hour (typically on Saturday mornings without significant traffic) whereas my almost daily trips to Waterford (5-6 miles west of Leesburg) can be done in roughly 30-35 minutes.

There are a few private barns in Great Falls that may have what you're looking for but you're going to have to really dig around - these places fill stalls through word of mouth.

There is a place in the Reston/Oakton area that may be interesting, but you'd have to rebuild the fencing first - no indoor, no trainer, but trails.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

A friend of mine used to board at this place and liked it - this was several years ago. Others on the BB might chime in. Since you are moving to Reston - as others mentioned it will be a good commute to many options in VA - Leesburg, Aldie, Middleburg etc. Reston Town Centre is also a great place - good restaurants, shopping etc..

http://mountainviewequestrian.com/boarding.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    From Reston/Herndon, it is easier to get to Leesburg and points west than it is to get to Aldie/Middleburg. My twice monthly trips to Journeyman in downtown Middleburg take at least an hour (typically on Saturday mornings without significant traffic) whereas my almost daily trips to Waterford (5-6 miles west of Leesburg) can be done in roughly 30-35 minutes.
    It takes me less than an hour to get to Aldie from northwest DC on weekend mornings. Less than 30 minutes from Herndon/Reston. Add another 10 minutes for Middleburg proper. Leesburg is easing using the Greenway, but that is one crazy high toll.

One of my barnmates is actually considering moving out to Reston to be closer to the barn... she figures it will be a 25 minutes commute as opposed to the hour from Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    It takes me less than an hour to get to Aldie from northwest DC on weekend mornings. Less than 30 minutes from Herndon/Reston. Add another 10 minutes for Middleburg proper. Leesburg is easing using the Greenway, but that is one crazy high toll.
    Your estimate vs. my experience. Basically, it takes the same amount of time for someone to get to M'Burg from DC as it does from Reston because of I-66. The trip from Reston to Rte 50 alone typically takes 20 minutes. And I know (also from experience) that I can get from GWU to Rte 50 via I-66W in 20 minutes without traffic.

As for the Greenway, yes there is a toll. We use it during high traffic hours and otherwise use Rte. 7 in off hours.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    One of my barnmates is actually considering moving out to Reston to be closer to the barn... she figures it will be a 25 minutes commute as opposed to the hour from Arlington.
    Your friend needs to actually time the drive from Reston to your barn (rather than just "figuring") or I'm afraid she'll be in for disappointment.