The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Christy Henrich.
    She was a gymnast who died at about 60 lbs of anorexia.

My best friend is a recovering anorexic... I used to make her drinks at the coffee shop - a small, skinny hot chocolate, nothing more.
    The day she walked in and asked for a large hot chocolate with whole milk and whipped cream was a huge victory.
    Especially after she told me she'd just finished a 6 inch turkey sub.

But it's a horrible thing to have to worry so much about your weight. I've always been skinny, and sometimes I get whined at about it. Sometimes eating sucks. The thought of it will make me sick, I'm 5'3" and 100 lbs and I know that I'm skinny but the images going around can make anyone feel fat and worry about their weight.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I'll give you my perspective on weight issues.

In 1996 I began having pretty severe anxiety attacks and I couldn't eat without throwing up. I didn't want to throw up, but my phobia was actually from being in public and losing control of my gag reflex and hurling (a'la Kyle from South Park)at random. This stemmed from (in addition to other life-changing issues I was experiencing at the time) a trip to Los Angeles when I woofed down two cheeseburgers and hurled in the bushes at Universal Studios, in front of a lot of people that I didn't know and will never see again. I know. Lovely, eh?

Anyway, for two years I literally couldn't eat, because I couldn't go out it public if I did. So I lost a surprising amount of weight. I am 5'11 3/4" and am now 185 lbs. 2 years ago I weighed 145 lbs. I am hoping to lose about 10-15 lbs., because I am actually the heaviest I've ever been. But I kind of needed a few years of being "fat and happy" to offset the suffering and torment of having food as such an enemy.

The sad thing to me was the people who would say, "you're so thin - God, it must feel great." And all I could think was, "if you only knew how tortuous this is." I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

There is such a thing as being athletic and fit. I would never encourage anyone to diet or lose weight who is 14 years-old! I would encourage a healthier lifestyle for them to pursue (proper nutrition and exercise), but never "lose weight."

It's so unhealthy.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

How about treating ourselves as well as we treat our horses? I told my trainer that was my New Year's resolution (haven't achieved it yet, but will keep trying). If a tall, narrow Thoroughbred was the ideal horse, you would not try to starve your Quarter Horse to get him to look like that - we all know that would not work! You just keep your horse fit and at the weight that looks best on him.

Okay...at 5'4" and 113 lbs, I know that I'm not fat, per se, but I feel too big for my body. (If that makes sense, its the only way I could think of wording it) I hate looking at my 5'9", 108 lb friend... She's all legs and skinny as a rail while I have kinda short legs and a long torso. It makes me mad that she's quitting riding when I know she could go so far in the eq divisions while I "suffer" through living in my body.

I don't have a eating disorder though. I manage my diet so I eat between 1000-1500 calories of healthy food a day. What hurts the most is when my friends make fun of me when I eat things with less calories then what they do (i.e. I buy water at the movies instead of pop) And I don't just depend on my "diet" to lose weight. I also run and play basketball. I'm trying to convince my guidance counselor into letting me into the athletic skills class (for school athletes) which would put into weight lifting but he feels that me being on our school equestrian team doesn't qualify me as a student athlete.

Its not just the show world that puts pressure on teens (specifically) to be skinny. I get it from tv, magazines, people at school, etc. I hate it when people joke around that I'm getting a little "pudgy".

I'll probably add more later when I think of it.

~Erin
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)