The Chronicle of the Horse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saudi Riders get ban reduced, able to compete in Olympics

" The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rendered its decisions in the appeals filed by the riders Khaled Abdullaziz Al Eid and Abdullah Waleed Sharbatly (Saudi Arabia) against the decision of the Tribunal of the International Equestrian Federation (FEI).

On 23 May 2012 the FEI Tribunal found that the riders had violated the FEI Equine Controlled Medication Rules and suspended them for a period of eight months. On 24 May 2012, the riders filed appeals at the CAS against such decision. At the request of the riders and with the consent of the FEI, the two appeals were referred to the same sole arbitrator (Mr Graeme Mew, Canada) and were conducted together on an expedited basis. A hearing was held in London on 7 June 2012."

"Mew issued his decision today, partially upholding the appeal. He reduced the periods of ineligibility to two months, based on the infraction being of minor importance. "

I have a feeling if it was human doping, the CAS would not have considered it to be an infraction of minor importance. Very disappointed in the precedent this sets.

This is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Money talks. LOTS of money talks louder.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Pretty sad. Between reading about doping, horses dropping dead at the cross-ties , and dishonest breeders....I'm really glad I go out on trail rides and enjoy my horses day to day.

I agree, I feel for the horses. I already sort of felt bad for that mare of Sharbatly's at the event where he just totally bungled the triple and she saved his ass. She's a golden saint of a mare.

I'll be curious to see how their Olympics go. And if they cry foul if they don't do well.

the appelate decision falls well within the parameters of the statutes for this infraction. i see this is completely reasonable.

Default FEI drug rules

After the 2008 Olympics, there was an effort to amend the FEI drug rules from "any detectable amount" of a banned substance to a threshold level. Does anyone know what happened to that effort?

Figures. Money talks.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

What a complete crock of you-know-what.
    I have absolutely no faith in the FEI, as far as
    enforcing anything now...

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    the appelate decision falls well within the parameters of the statutes for this infraction. i see this is completely reasonable.
    Not really.. the controlled medication violations regarding bute in 2 other cases, first infraction, were 8 month suspensions.
    This is a second offense for Sharbatly and the FEI gave him 8months. The CAS is really taking the teeth out of the FEI drug policies.

^^^^this^^^^
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I guess all we can do now is be really unsporting about it and hope they both take spectacular falls into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I guess all we can do now is be really unsporting about it and hope they both take spectacular falls into the water.
    They are jumpers not eventers. Unless you were hoping that they fall spectacularly into a Grand Prix SJ water jump?

I don't wish them bad luck, however I am disappointed with the CAS, but somehow , not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Not really.. the controlled medication violations regarding bute in 2 other cases, first infraction, were 8 month suspensions.
    This is a second offense for Sharbatly and the FEI gave him 8months. The CAS is really taking the teeth out of the FEI drug policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I hate that I have such a cynical mind, but it raises my hackles a bit that they requested both hearings be held by the same arbiter. Maybe it was just faster that way, but I can't help feeling like they wanted the same guy for a reason...
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I hate that I have such a cynical mind, but it raises my hackles a bit that they requested both hearings be held by the same arbiter. Maybe it was just faster that way, but I can't help feeling like they wanted the same guy for a reason...
    are you insinuating that CAS is corrupt, and that Graeme Mew, a Canadian, is subject to outside pressure? the CAS president has to agree to the choice of mediator by the parties, and since it appears that sharbatly and el eid were in agreement that their cases be heard in tandem i see nothing incongruent with the defined procedure. ".... with the CONSENT of the FEI"

we have an international mediating group to ensure that there an avenue through which a competitor can appeal.

http://www.sportrecht.org/EU-Recht/C...emediation.pdf

Consider that the substance used was bute. That's a rather blatant and elementary mistake to make if one believes the Saudis actually administered it. The chances the positive in fact (as the Saudis suggested) resulted from tampering and subterfuge, rather than its actual use either as a therapeutic or masking substance was likely a factor.

And that's not far fetched, considering the protocols in place at FEI events such as the one at which they tested positive, which include that any treatments given need to be registered with the jumping stewards and administered before their eyes. The Saudis, with their resources, have access to far more sophisticated substances than bute to treat conditions that might indicate its usefulness.

Anyone who thinks this level of jumping isn't full of intrigue just has to remember one horse, Sapphire, to be convinced otherwise. Which only means that yes, it could have been a fix, and that yes, this could be tit-for-tat, disappointing as it might be.

Remember, they STILL have to jump cleaner and go faster than anyone else does to win.

But Sharia law says lie to infidels so it's their cultural belief that what they did is OK.

Money talks and weak people will always kowtow to their "betters".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"