The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone use SUCCEED?

I have a horse who is prone to colic. I actually had to take the horse into the university last night, luckily no surgery. Has anyone used SUCCEED and had luck with it? Thinking about putting the horse on this and wanted to hear some reviews not from their website.

I have used it and did not notice a difference either way.

I used it for 2 months straight on my horse that had/has some ulcer issues last spring. I think it helped and then he just stopped eating/picked around it. So i quit buying since it is $ but I could see some diff re his weight gain at that time. I would probably use again and he is maintaining, doing a lot better this Spring.

I used SUCCEED about 5 years ago on my then 7 month old filly. She had been on Gastrogard for several months, and just had a poor appetite. She was on SUCCEED for 4 months, and has never had a sick day since. She has a fabulous appetite and tends to be an easy keeper now.

I have not used it for horses prone to colic. You may want to rethink your feeding program, maybe use something like Triple Crown Complete. Talk with your vet, and good luck.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I have used it and did not notice a difference either way.
    Same experience here.
    --o0o--

Yes, I have a pony I have owned for 14 years. She would get gas colic about 1x per year. I put her on succeed 3 years ago and went colic free until I let the product run out. On the 4th day without Succeed she got gas colic.
    Obviously I will not let it run out again!

Has anyone used the paste? My trainer put her recent import on the paste with good results, and mentioned it has a higher fat content. I recently just ordered a month of the paste for the young gelding I just bought who needs to gain a lot of weight. Stuff is expensive, I hope it works.

I am a huge Succeed fan. I had one with ulcer and colic issues and it helped a lot. All of mine live off of it now!!! Try a 3 month does and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trak_Eventer View Post
    I have a horse who is prone to colic. I actually had to take the horse into the university last night, luckily no surgery. Has anyone used SUCCEED and had luck with it? Thinking about putting the horse on this and wanted to hear some reviews not from their website.
    I have not used Succeed but have had great results with KER's Equishure with a horse similar to yours. It's much less expensive.

http://www.kerx.com/products/EquiShure/
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Default no difference ...

I too did not see any difference in my horse with or without Succeed, and it is too pricey to use without positive results. I have a TB gelding who I have owned for 9 years and he frequently experiences gas colics. He has been scoped, ultrasounded, gets senior feed & daily alfalfa hay to stimulate the digestive juices, all to no avail. Only 10cc Banamine helps when he's uncomfortable. And numerous vets told me living out would solve the problem, but I turned him out for 6 months 24/7 & he still had some episodes.

I have a horse that has many medical issues
    -cant eat hay because he can not digest it
    -developed ulcers because the old barn manager switched his grain, despite his strict diet
    -allergic to molasses
    -had multiple colic surgeries with the previous owner

One day he stopped eating his food, and we couldnt get him to eat it for a few days. He dropped a ton of weight within a few days and we called the vet out. The vet told us he has severe ulcers and suggested we used SUCCEED and switch his food (to the correct one!). Within a month we noticed improvement, he was eager to eat, he always wore his ears forward. He has been on the paste for 3 years and we love it, it keeps his coat beautiful, he is in good weight, and his tummy has been feeling great! At one point because of the price we tried to wean him off of it, and noticed a change almost immediately, so he has been kept on it ever since.

The last owners experienced colic with this horse a few times a year and he has had many surgeries. In the 3 years I have had him he has never coliced (Knock on wood) and only once shown signs of it but we caught it early on. We are very very very happy with SUCCEED, and I would suggest it to everyone!

also if it is possible, I think the paste is much better! We had to switch to the granules for a few months for the convince of a boarding facility, but I love the Paste, as does my horse!

I think it's just brewer's yeast and probiotics, IIRC.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

They offer a trial on their website with a money back guarantee. There are a few things you have to do to get your money back, like weekly logs of changes.

I had my horse on it for 6 months and saw maybe the tiniest bit weight gain, but not worth the money. We were not doing it for colic issues though so I can't say anything there.