The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting used to shorter stirrups: my legs are sore

I just started jumping my youngster, and I'm finding it hard to get used to riding with jumping length stirrups again after spending the last few months on dressage only.

It's usually the outside of my lower leg that feels sore.

Other than more time in jumping position, what can I do to help get over this? Any exercises I can do out of th saddle?

Embrace the soreness of muscles learning a new job. Not all discomfort means something bad is happening. Adaptation means soreness at first, but you'll soon adjust.

If it keeps you from sleeping or being able to do other stuff, ice and a little NSAID if you can take them should do the trick.
    Click here before you buy.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

I find it helpful to use the stairs in my house to stretch. Toes on the tread and drop your heels (that really pulls at first) and do it a few times every time you use the stairs. Also try stretching along your leg raised up on a higher step. Also do some stretch exercises immediately after your ride: stop the pain, sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Willesdon View Post
    I find it helpful to use the stairs in my house to stretch. Toes on the tread and drop your heels (that really pulls at first) and do it a few times every time you use the stairs. Also try stretching along your leg raised up on a higher step. Also do some stretch exercises immediately after your ride: stop the pain, sooner.
    I was going to say the same thing as OP if you don't have steps you can still use your coffee table while sitting on your couch watching tv to jam your heels down and stretch out your calves. I also enjoy the calf machine on the circuit at the gym.

Another thing...don't jack them up to the new length all at once. Take a few days at each shortening until your muscles stretch. DMSO or linament will also relieve soreness.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Another thing...don't jack them up to the new length all at once. Take a few days at each shortening until your muscles stretch. DMSO or linament will also relieve soreness.
    If I put DMSO on my own legs, my husband would probably lock me out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by lmlacross View Post
    If I put DMSO on my own legs, my husband would probably lock me out of the house.
    Not to mention the icky egg taste! Better to avoid the DMSO.

I'm right there with you right now after not jumping for six momths.... I'm spending a lot of extra time at the gym as well to build up the muscles. Lunges, lunges, lunges. Embrace the pain.
    The rebel in the grey shirt