The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sun glasses whilst competing....

It would appear that America is embracing (what I would call) the Australian use of sunglasses on XC and SJ. Is this really a necessity or is this the current fad accessory? I do not think I have ever been on a course where there was a need for sunglasses, especially since you are not out there for any great length of time. I feel that this could be a safety issue. I understand that some people need to wear regular glasses for corrective purposes and have no choice in the matter but are riders really "blinded by the light" to warrant wearing sunglasses for what amounts to under 15 minutes (depending on the level)?

I have worn sunglasses for years while I compeate and ride at home. I have really sensitve eyes and without them I squint and get head aches. Makes my day misreable without them. I don't see it as a fad honestly, I see it as a need for some people to be at their best.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

It just seems far more prevalent in the last couple of years....hence the term "fad".

I have been wearing sunglasses and competing for almost 30 years
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I can't be outside for any length of time without sunglasses and a wide brim hat. I've always been prone to headaches from bright light, and I'm told contact lenses magnify the effect.

'Safety issue' is a stretch I think. In fact riding at speed *without* eye protection doesn't seem like a great idea to me!

Really not worth anyone's time to worry about.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I worry about the safety aspect too. I have a friend who always wears sunglasses, as she really is sensitive to the light. I don't think it's something a person can judge if they themselves don't have the same experience.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I have very sensitive blue eyes and wear the goofy looking transition lenses for XC if it's sunny. With bifocals, they don't really get very dark at all for some reason. I just bought a KI helmet with the pop down sun visor for schooling and maybe stadium at shows. Nothing like a bright sun on a bright white arena. I have to have some type of shade unless it's overcast, then I just wear my regular glasses.

Smile

For most people it is a fad, following what they believe the pros are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    For most people it is a fad, following what they believe the pros are doing.

Sunglasses are a great help to me. I can't get by anymore with just plain glasses on any of the XC courses around here in the spring and summer. Ninety percent of the time it's bright and sunny when I'm riding on one. I suppose if one were in soggy England where the sun does not shine, at all, one would not need dark glasses. Just sayin'.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

A lot (if not most/all) eye doctors recommend always wearing sunglasses when outside, even in cloudy weather. So, not a fad, but people being more aware of the affects of sunlight on your eyes. UV rays can damage your eyes the same as your skin.

For me, I always wear mine. I want to keep my eyes as healthy as I can and I can't see without them, even on cloudy days. And, competing in the windy desert they help keep the flying crud out of your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Sunglasses are a great help to me. I can't get by anymore with just plain glasses on any of the XC courses around here in the spring and summer. Ninety percent of the time it's bright and sunny when I'm riding on one. I suppose if one were in soggy England where the sun does not shine, at all, one would not need dark glasses. Just sayin'.

Just sayin....it would seem to be "de rigueur" as of late is all. It is important to keep abreast of what all the cool kids are wearing....hence the question.

I wear sunglasses xc and stadium if it's sunny, because having a headache or squinting my way around the course doesn't seem worth it just to make sure someone doesn't think I'm participating in some sort of fad.

Sunglasses serve a purpose. I suppose it never occurred to anyone that maybe the pros are doing it for exactly the same reasons as the rest of us?
    Proud member of the EDRF

You're just jealous of our sunshine. Mold growing is becoming a new national pastime, eh?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I basically live with sunglasses on, riding at home, competitions, driving, walking outside. My eyes are really sensitive and I wear contacts. It also helps keep dust out of my eyes, which gave me an eye infection one summer, then I had to wear regular glasses AND sunglasses at the same time which was not fun.

I am blind in bright sun. I have moments when I can't see anything. One of my biggest fears is driving without sunglasses.

For riding, I wear sunglasses with plastic frames and lenses. No metal (except for screws). I also wear different coloured lenses for different light conditions.

In Australia and NZ, there are high levels of solar UV radiation and correspondingly high levels of skin cancer. The Australian government recommends a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen when outdoors. So it's not really fair to call it a 'fad'.

I rode XC 2 weekends ago with sunglasses. It was a bright day, very sunny, and I was riding early afternoon. It was *very* sunny. I had been wearing sunglasses all day to be nice to my eyes, I wasn't going to take my sunglasses off for XC and stadium after wearing them all day. I was very glad to have them on, I could see great and I didn't have to squint for the whole course.

I don't see how it could be a safety risk, it protects your eyes and lets you see better.

i ride in sunglasses when the sun's bright. call me crazy, but i think that "being able to see where i'm going" is a critical part of the process
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't wear a good pair of polarized sunglasses while in SJ and XC. It's kind of nice to be able to have the best possible vision.

I wear prescription sunglasses in stadium and XC. My eyes are very light sensitive, so I'll even have sun glasses in dressage. I also wear them fox hunting.

It's pretty well established that cataracts are linked to UV exposure. Having accidentally dripped sunscreen into my eyes, I can say with complete certainty that sunglasses are far more comfortable than zinc oxide as UV eye protection.