The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any coverage of the Para-Equestrian dressage trials?

I know a couple of the para dressage riders trying out for the team and would love to be able to watch their rides. Is there going to be any coverage at all of these selection trials? So far, all I know is their ride times.

It sure doesn't look like it.

Cannot find coverage.

Cannot find live scoring.

Very disappointing. These guys have worked so hard and deserve a little more respect :-(

They also deserve the same financial support in international competitions that the other disciplines get.

I believe they are using the other grounds for the paras, for stabling and showing. I'm not sure what the facilities are like down there in terms of internet/video electric hookups.

USEF Network doesn't have anything listed on their broadcast schedule.

I agree with everyone, very disappointed at the lack of video coverage. And even the social media coverage is fairly poor.

As of an hour ago, Johnathan Wentz was high score to date with 72.50%. Has anyone been able to find any other scores?

I can't find the link on USPEA.org that Hope is referring to on her FB page.

Here's a link to the Paralympic Selection Trials Results:

http://www.foxvillage.com/FVDShowRes...px?sh=924&st=1

Thanks, Pete.

Dressagedaily.com has been covering, too.
    When I checked earlier today, they had a lengthy story up about the jog with lots of pictures, but had not yet posted a story about today's competition.
    Also, discoverhorses.com will do a wrap-up story on the last day of trials.
    I understand there's been some consternation regarding the footing in the para ring(s) ... that it is bluestone, too firm and not really suitable for upper-level horses to be competing on.
    If this is true, again I am frustrated by the second-class status para gets. These riders are competing for Paralympic berths and in their national championship. They deserve a properly prepared arena.
    At the WEG, it was forgetting a wheelchair ramp for the para medal ceremonies, and improperly shortening the arena (this is an INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, people, get it right!) on freestyle day -- a mistake discovered halfway through a division, so the freestyle timing was messed up for multiple riders because the arena was too big.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I guess I've missed something. I don't see CKD listed.

Courtney scratched because her new horse wasn't working out for her.

Here's a cumulative score page here:

http://www.foxvillage.com/fvdshowres...ympic2012.aspx

Are there any requirements as far as distribution of the team between the different grades? For example, the top 6 are all grades Ia, Ib and II. Does there need to be a grade III or grade IV rider on the team?

Congratulations to Becca Hart on her third national championship, as well as reserve champion Jonathan Wentz and Donna Ponessa. All three were separated by less than half a point in their final averages and all three look to do Team USA proud. The scores were so close that they actually had Donna ride in for the awards ceremony (only champion & reserve are mounted for the ceremony), then checked scores again and realized Jon had her beat by the tiniest margin. I felt bad for her about that, but she was a good sport and a class act. Besides, barring any problems, she's headed to London!

Regarding team makeup, the rules are that each team MUST have at least one Grade I rider (can be a Ia or Ib) and can't be made up entirely of riders in the same grade. There is no requirement to have every grade represented.

That's good for us. The selection trials showed that we have four riders (how convenient - a perfect team number) who are really competitive and can pull high scores, then a bigger group who aren't quite there yet -- some need to improve their own skills, many aren't mounted on real international-calibre horses -- and a few for whom this was an educational experience about just how high the bar is set for international para competition. Those ones hopefully will go home undiscouraged and encouraged to work even harder.

What NeverTime said. I was scribing Tuesday and Wednesday, which gave me a super ringside seat.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Any chance videos of the tests will be uploaded to the USEFNetwork or USPEA website? Would love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    Dressagedaily.com has been covering, too.
    When I checked earlier today, they had a lengthy story up about the jog with lots of pictures, but had not yet posted a story about today's competition.
    Also, discoverhorses.com will do a wrap-up story on the last day of trials.
    I understand there's been some consternation regarding the footing in the para ring(s) ... that it is bluestone, too firm and not really suitable for upper-level horses to be competing on.
    If this is true, again I am frustrated by the second-class status para gets. These riders are competing for Paralympic berths and in their national championship. They deserve a properly prepared arena.
    At the WEG, it was forgetting a wheelchair ramp for the para medal ceremonies, and improperly shortening the arena (this is an INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, people, get it right!) on freestyle day -- a mistake discovered halfway through a division, so the freestyle timing was messed up for multiple riders because the arena was too big.
    Kudos to all the riders for making the significant trek to NJ. For many it took days of driving to get their horses there. I admire them all for their courage and commitment.

From your comments it appears that only 4 riders were any good. I perceive the Grade III and IV top scorers had quite 'worthy' scores over all.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Kudos to all the riders for making the significant trek to NJ. For many it took days of driving to get their horses there. I admire them all for their courage and commitment.

From your comments it appears that only 4 riders were any good. I perceive the Grade III and IV top scorers had quite 'worthy' scores over all.
    I'm very positive I didn't say that only 4 riders were "any good."
    But compared to the less than a half-point spread between the top three, there was a five-point spread between those top three (who all happened be be I and II riders) and the scores of our Gr. III and IV winners.
    Given that gap, and the difference between a 73% and a 67%, I still think it's fair to say the foursome who consistently scored in the 70's are "worthy" (your word, not mine) of making the team, while the ones getting the high 60's would do us proud as alternates but weren't quite in the same class, at least not this weekend when it was for all the marbles.