The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

TequilaSun, the horses and grooms mentioned at the beginning of this thread evolved from the "Olympic Dream Teams" thread which you will find elsewhere. Just look at the list and you'll see why this thread is called "Dream Team Grooms".

To echo Portia, I haven't always known exactly who's being discussed in this thread, but it has been a lovely addition!

Some answers here. First Kara Lauinger was re-married, had another boy, and unfortunately is divorced the second time. Not involved with horses in any way. Santos of Norfield, now red gate farm origanilly worked in Michigan and Chicago with Juan Montano, great groom now working for Boggs Hill, saw him in Florida. What about Mindy from Acres Wild Farm? What was her husbands name?Speaking of good grooms, there are many who have now made it in the trainer ranks, and are doing very well, which ones can you remember, and do you dare tell?
    Huntcaps

Streaker was NOT a Zimmerman. I have a picture on my wall of the guy. His name was Johnathan, rode a grey horse that had been stopping all week in the juniors, and the fences were still set from the working, 4' rode over them bareback!!! OUCH. I think David Distler lost his job over the streaking incident, guess some people thought it was less funny than others.:0
    Huntcaps

Why not dare tell? Twenty or more years ago we were in Fla. with no help, lots of horses! Frank Madden said his brother would like to come down, but had never been around horses at all and knew nothing. We said send him down, we figured he could walk a hot horse or fill water buckets. I taught John Madden how to put a halter on and muck a stall....

I think Mindy was married to Felix...

Wow you guys have great memories

It would be interesting to find out the location for missing-in-action from the show hunter/jumper world.

Thank you to those who have brought back some memories.

Mindy and Felix divorced years ago, and she is on the west coast at Indio right now. He is remarried (I think) and living in England shoeing horses.

Remember when Missy Clark was an amateur? And Helen Varble was grooming for the Curreys... And Tom Wright had just started on the east coast as an assistant rider at Deeridge...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Did you know? BILLY GLASS, top show manager got his start, rubbing horses at Hounds Hill in Gates Mills, Ohio? The trainer was D. Jerry Baker, now deceased, and the rider? Non other than MICHAEL MATZ.

Ken Kraus, you mentioned the filming of the "Horse with the Flying Tail" in your 02-01-2000 post. I have been trying to locate a video copy of this 1961 Larry Lansburgh/ George Fenneman (Disney) film without success. Can anyone come up with any info on the current availability of this film? Or how to make a request to Disney that it be made available? Does anyone remember the filming of it?

Well, Scoutie, I was the announcer at Washington the year they filmed the footage there, using Hugh Wiley and Nautical, and Kathy Kusner with Untouchable, then editing as Walt Disney does...don't even remember who starred in the movie.....but Walt Disney is Go.com, go network is ABC, ESPN, DISNEY etc...maybe they can help? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoutie:
    Ken Kraus, you mentioned the filming of the "Horse with the Flying Tail" in your 02-01-2000 post. I have been trying to locate a video copy of this 1961 Larry Lansburgh/ George Fenneman (Disney) film without success. Can anyone come up with any info on the current availability of this film? Or how to make a request to Disney that it be made available? Does anyone remember the filming of it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Kenneth Kraus for your reply. I have tried the Disney Web site and a few Web Searches without success. If I can locate the proper personel in the right department at Disney and the film is out of print, then I may consider rallying some support to get it rereleased. If nothing else, it would be nice if the National Sporting Library or other horse show archive could keep a copy on file as part of Hugh Wiley's history. It is harder (for me) to do a search on a film than printed literature, so it may take some time. Anyhow, I know this is off the topic, but am considering starting a thread on horse related books and film. Excuse me for being so ignorant, but how long have you been announcing? It would seem that you must have quite an inventory of annecdotes re. "recent" show jumping history. Sounds like good book material.

Scoutie, I've been announcing on and off for over 30 years! Plus some side adventures in between gigs, but a book???? ME???? Can we get rich? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoutie:
    Thank you Kenneth Kraus for your reply. I have tried the Disney Web site and a few Web Searches without success. If I can locate the proper personel in the right department at Disney and the film is out of print, then I may consider rallying some support to get it rereleased. If nothing else, it would be nice if the National Sporting Library or other horse show archive could keep a copy on file as part of Hugh Wiley's history. It is harder (for me) to do a search on a film than printed literature, so it may take some time. Anyhow, I know this is off the topic, but am considering starting a thread on horse related books and film. Excuse me for being so ignorant, but how long have you been announcing? It would seem that you must have quite an inventory of annecdotes re. "recent" show jumping history. Sounds like good book material.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kenneth Kraus, Anything is possible! It's my understanding that when Walter Farley wrote the Black Stallion, he was a freshman at Columbia University and sent the manuscript off as a lark. Of course the series was a big hit, but when Francis Ford Coppolla made it into a movie, and The Black Stallion book was rereleased (big time!), Walter Farley asked if he could rewrite it, because it was so poorly written. If you are familiar with his books, the writing did improve enourmously. Anyhow, I think you've got a lot of material and some options to consider. Non-fiction would be great and add to the printed history of show jumping. Fiction would allow you to "change the names to protect the innocent" or not so innocent! You never know! Don't rule out the possibility of a best seller!

Kenneth Kraus, P.S. Someone was nice enough to reopen the existing "Books" thread. Why don't you reply there, since we are off the topic of this thread. Also you could get some other feedback.

I have stoped by this post now and then and I think it's great! The grooms that have been talked about are all top notch. I also agree that without them there is no dream team at all. I have noticed though that one name is missing, Lee MicKeaver. I assume that his name is missing because he works for MW, but no matter what you may think about MW his groom Lee is one of the best that ever has done the job. His skills are second to none. I believe if you asked any one on the GP circut, even the people who don't like MW they would tell you the his groom is the best there is and they would do anything to hire him. Unfortunatly for the other riders Lee seems to be very loyal to MW and does not seem to be going anywere. I think Lee is near the top of the all time list if not at the top. Wish I could have someone like him on my side!

coco reilly is alive and well and working for Marilla Vanbeuren this winter.

Kenny,
    Well, even if a book doesn't make you "rich" per se it could sure add a hefty dose of extra income if the book is produced and marketed well, to the h/j niche and beyond (if at all relevant). Anyway, if you decide to pursue this, I'm an editor and would be tickled to be involved, (the book would benefit from a horse person editor rather than a general one) plus I know a major publishing agent in NY who might be interested (she'd want to see a proposal first, of course). Anyway, just more food for thought! ;-)
    ROYAAL Z (Ramiro Z x Fanny Girl Z by Ferdinand)
    www.royaalz.com

Bravo RZ!! You see Ken Kraus, you never know!
    Hope it works out for both of you and best of luck!

Hey I just read on Ken's page that Coco had been kicked badly and had just come out of a coma. From someone who groomed for over twenty years, I hope he has insurance. In all my years grooming, I never worked for anyone that provided insurance for me. I hope all you folks out there grooming now are smarter than I was. Make sure you get health insurance, believe me, if they are playing with horses they can afford insurance for you!
    Anyway, my thoughts are with Coco tonight. Ken, please keep us posted on anything you hear about how he is doing...

Ken - I think a book with your knowledge would be extremely entertaining, to say the least. I just spoke with a pony rider and mother down at Palm Beach for this first time. They had me a stitches with their stories from just this year. I had told her to keep a journal and we would at least type it up and distribute it among friends. I think people that go to the big shows as well as even non-showing horse people would enjoy it.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E