The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I believe Marie Laure is back in France although I may be wrong. Pancho Lopez works for Elise Haas in California (Katie is her trainer). Willa was living in NJ making brownies (Yettanother Brownie) but I don't know if she's still baking! (remember her dog Yetta?)

Wow, all these names-!! I am having a hard time remembering faces to go with them!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Andy M, aka Kanga is alive and well.

E-Mail if you want more info.

Bobby Donaher split to Canada with his best friends(Cocoa) wife. That was a long time ago. Either Bruce or John-boy would probably know what he's doing. I wonder what ever happened to his girlfriend while at Fairfield, Mary-Carey(sp.?)
    Bernie's grooms at the time were T. and D.
    T. is still around.
    Anyone know about Eve from Norfield?

Ben Tindley was the barn manager at Acres when Jamie was there. He was on our trip to Birmingham England for the world cup finals the year it snowed like crazy over there.
    Kate Curtis married Don Madigan, he drives for WJ Barry Horse Trans. She has her own farm in Litchfield Ct. does layups, retirees, etc.

I just heard that Ben is now a vet? Is that correct? Did Cocoa or Ben marry Tinker? I am so confused!! NEIL! I need another drink!!!!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This is like our own private Thread. 4 of us definately worked on the road at the same time. I don't know what happend to Mary Carey Baldwin but I sure don't miss her dog Casper . The first year Bobbie D worked for us he knew nothing about horses and he took a horse to the jumper ring for Leslie with NO Stirrups on the saddle. Also he made a "wicked " batch of brownies that had me seeing rainbows in the hunter ring just as all the tents in Palm Beach were blowing down. I couldn't stop laughing as I watched one of the most expensive jr horses (supernatural) go running loose and Bruce Burr Freaking out that the porto potty tipped over in front of His master piece of a Tack room . Oh those were the days!!!!

[This message has been edited by MB Stark (edited 01-31-2000).]

Ben married Tinker Harris. I think they both went off to vet school but neither made it through. They might have a farm in Fla.
    MB- what memories! Those brownies had Leslie and I in the tack room in hysterics, remember? The show had been called off for the day.
    The old Nimrod was a wild barn. Hambone, Shep, Timmy Foster, etc. What a crew. They would party all night, then arrive, feed the horses and knock the shavings off their blankets, then paint all their feet! This way, the clients would think they had been there for hours! Or so the gang believed. Vodka and lemonade in the water cooler at the Ox Ridge Horse Show... None of this was my style, but they had fun!

Wow! Bobby D. and Patty divorced- gosh mid eighties maybe?- Patty is training in Canada with their two little girls. They come to show at FFLD each August.

Last I knew of the Cellular crew, Jean-Luc was with Micheal Matz, Marie-Laure with Centennial Farm, but I heard she had gone back to France. Colleen from Cellular married Dan from FFLD, and Mike Rooks was running Barry's VA horse transportation office. Juan is with Salamander Farm in VA, I think. Does anyone know what Rebecca, Stacy, Bruce, Savador, Martin, or Susan are up to?

I sent one of my horse's to lay-up with Kate and Don last winter in Litchfield. They're doing well and run a great farm!

Santos from Norfield is still there working for the new owners. Melvin from Norfield worked for Katherine and Paul Heller, and is now working at a farm in NY- I can't remember the name- for Danny Azzaria's (Pony Express) wife. Rose (from Norfield) manages Steve Heinecke's barn Huntfield, which is at the old Norfield.

If you're asking after Betsy Stein (now Medinger) from Nimrod then Norfield, she is happily married working with the Pegusus program and keeping many old-timers from Norfield happy in their retirement. She is a really neat lady!

How about the year they moved the Lake Placid show because of the Wally Byam camper convention??? It was cold and someone was making hot toddies in a muck basket using a water heater.. I do not remember who that was... Might have been Shep...!!!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hey Alexandra, you are obviously in touch with the Norfield gang, what is Kara Lauinger doing? I'm so glad to here Betsy Stein in well. She was always a nice person...

Iwas keeping my horse at Norfeild a few years back I believe Kara just got Married again and is out of the horses completely correct me if I am wrong Alexandra

REMEMBER THE NIMROD MOBILE. I think it was a chevy nova that they painted with house paint and brushes blue and tan and put a hunt horn on it. I remember first seeing it at the south florida fair grounds.

ok it seems to be the same 4 or 5 of us adding to this post. Maybe we should have a reunion. Or this is fun as long as Erin from the Chronicle doesn't mind

Kara just remarried last summer. She's living on Long Island with her son from her last marriage and her new husband. One or two of her former grand prix horses are living with Kate and Don in Litchfield. She's doing quite well and is very happy!

Betsy is doing great! She has a baby hunter in training with Steve, ans she has Emryn Tumbleweed and Windridge Haagen-Daz from FFLD in her Pegasus program. Small world!

Sorry, MB! I din't see your post before my last one. You are right about Kara!

Sticking my nose in -- I don't know any of the folks you're talking about, but it's fun "eavesdropping," and it's nice to see that there's a nice fraternity (or is it sorority?) among the grooms. And I agree they deserve huge amounts of credit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

OK, OK, OK!!! I'm just doing a low tech home page, and trying to actually do my real job (announcing at WEF) but I talked with MB the other day and said, yes, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!! I'm finishing up the DREAM TEAM Email poll of Towerheads, I've got the Hunter/Rider poll for WCHR week, but for sure this is a great thread, and i will do the poll. If someone on this thread would take up the task, i could publish the results on the page earlier.....how about it posters???? No one cares more about the grooms than I do, even though Abby is still angry with me....but many barn calls are vital, as are any upcoming expected changes etc. I also, enjoy every year, the Groom's Class at Ox Ridge where over the past 8 years have raised close to 122, 000 for grooms. The past four years, the Groom's Class was the 2nd highest paying event, to the grand prix, at Ox Ridge. So, I'm on it one way or another.....thanks for another great thread.....i stop here every night. You guys are the bacvkbone of this industry, taking care of millions and millions of dollars worth of equine athelets, for what appears to me to be very low wages. Ken Kraus.

Okay guys, set the record straight. I can't remember the year, but do you remember the streaker at Washington? He galloped into the ring, bareback,[ouch!] jumped the outside line of jumps, and galloped back out again. Identity unknown, as he had a pumpkin on his head.[well, it was Halloween after all] Rumor has it, he was Bernie Traurig's groom who had accepted a bet. Who was that masked man?

Jaycee, was Willa's dog, Yetta, a Jack Russell given to her by the Currys? If so, it originally came from me as a puppy.

How 'bout Dave. Groomed forever for Jeannie Larkin, then Top Brass, then Jack. Where is he?

Farmgate!!! Yes Yetta was a Jack Russell, broken coated - but I don't know of her origins...

I remember hearing about the streaker, but I had a horse in the class so I missed it (imagine THAT!!) It was during that goofy int'l class at Washington right?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jaysee, not only broken coated, but hair like the abominable snowman! Especially around the neck. Thus the name Yetta. The Currys of TN purchased the puppy from me for Willa when she was grooming for them. They thought the world of her. Yetta was out of my bitch, Arabella by my friends imported English dog, Kinlet. Gosh, I haven't heard that name for years but it's a hard one to forget. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

And speaking of great memories, well if you missed the streaker, I sure hope you caught the Appointments class at that same show. Everyone was turned out to the nines, sandwich kits, folded gloves, checker boards wet brushed in, and the riders[the ones with a sense of humor] wore Halloween masks! Now that was a FUN horse show!

SPEAKING OF WAGES-- Last year I decided to work in Florida. I needed a break from the corporate or Fundraising or Resturant world I had been in for the 14 years. When I worked for Fairfield in 1979-1981 we were making about 350 -400 a week.
    18 YEARS later the salary was the same. BUT THE HORSES and everything else COST MORE . GO FIGURE