The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sorry - I got off the subject of this post in my previous post-just got excited about the book idea . .Good point about Health Insurance - I agree with you, Abby! As far as grooms are concerned, Clem's the best I know.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Abby, I'll do may best to keep you updated. The accident happened on Friday, and my prayers are with Coco, and his wife, Ann! I think I said this a couple of times earlier in this thread...if not, here it is, and if so, it's still a question that needs to be addressed. How can grooms and caretakers of equines, get the benefits they deserve!!! Coco is a great example. How could anyone who has put what Coco's put, into the business, and then have to QUESTION about his health care???? My God, grooms handle millions of dollars worth of horses! And they are paid a pittance! YES, I know there are many GOOD secure jobs out there, but there are still grooms living in trucks, or 6 to a motel room! Health care? Are you kidding? Sorry, I had to vent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abby:
    Hey I just read on Ken's page that Coco had been kicked badly and had just come out of a coma. From someone who groomed for over twenty years, I hope he has insurance. In all my years grooming, I never worked for anyone that provided insurance for me. I hope all you folks out there grooming now are smarter than I was. Make sure you get health insurance, believe me, if they are playing with horses they can afford insurance for you!
    Anyway, my thoughts are with Coco tonight. Ken, please keep us posted on anything you hear about how he is doing...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

to find old threads, so went back to page 57 and lo and behold, I found this! This thread took place before I found my way back to everyone. For those who don't know, we have had a groom's reunion in FL the last two years, with another to take place in Feb. 2004. I have been in touch with many, but not all, of the grooms mentioned here, and many have made the reunion.

MB and Cpt. Crunch, you need to come the next time. We are also invited to have a mini-reunion at the Gold Cup next September. Maybe all the New Englanders/upper East Coasters could make a reunion there rather than FL.

As the designated organizer, I will 1) ask Erin to keep this thread alive and 2) keep you updated of our plans. If anyone knows the current whereabouts of anybody mentioned here, please email me at lpitts@hsc.edu and I'll add it to my database! I can also provide contact info for a lot of folks that I've seen/talked to in the last year.

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Did you notice that this thread is when Capt. Crunch figured out who I was and since that time we have gotten together 2 times. Once at Old Salem Horse show and one time for Dinner. It was a blast and very funny that we had been posting for a while and I didn't know who she was. I didn't have the sense to think up an alias when I started posting on this board.

P.S. I will definately try to make the reunion this year. and I will try to coordinate with Cheryl to go as well.

I read through this whole thread and didn't realize until almost the end that it was old! LOL.

She also changed her screen name to "ABBY", which is how it was when I reconnected with her, then went back to Cpt. Crunch, which really threw me!

This is the BEST thread! And I'm glad you are planning on coming the next time. Tentatively, the weekend after Pres. weekend in Feb. of '04.

If we can arrange the one at the Gold Cup next Sept., that would be wonderful. A lot of the folks from that area just can't get to FL unless they are working. Sherry Robertson has invited us, so I'll keep working with her to get this done!

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

Actually, my screen name was Abby from the beginning. When I changed to Cpt. it went back and changed every post I had ever made. I'm actually thinking of changing it again.
    MB- that thread seems like it was a long time ago.

Be sure to let us "slow on the uptake" folks know when you have done the deed!

I can't beleive I JUST found this thread!

Laurie
    Laurie

He is definately the best of my generation! No one's horses look better and go just as good as they look! He was always a great friend to me on the circuit. If I ever had a question or problem he was always there to help and not just for me but for everyone who knows him. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Last I heard Martha Bowen is working for Laura Kraut.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Lee McKeever (the correct spelling)

He is definately the best of my generation! No one's horses look better and go just as good as they look! He was always a great friend to me on the circuit. If I ever had a question or problem he was always there to help and not just for me but for everyone who knows him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just getting to know Lee and I am finding all of this to be quite true!

I still shudder every time I think of Rumors. I was young (I think around 10) and watching from the stands, I was watching that horse right when the leg snapped. It left a lasting impression in my memory. I think I need to go hug my ponies...

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
    Sunnieflax Clique, PITA Clique (even if no one cares that my butt is broken)
    "poster formerly known as Silly Mommy"
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

is a free lancer; she has been working for different people everytime I've seen her in the last 2 years. In FL this year, she was working for Lisa Jacquin.

It is pretty terrific that the grooms from my era still feel so close and have such a tight bond. We had a lot of fun together, worked VERY hard and lived for our horses. When we get back together now, even after 20+ years, we just fall right back into the old friendships like we never left.

I wonder if grooms from now will be able to say that in 20 years...

Laurie
    Laurie