The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Oh I love this thread....

Loved the Flicka books: My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, Green Grass of Wyoming (re-read the series last year).

For the Love of a Horse, The Red Devil and Summer Riders would be by the British author Patricia Leith.

Oldies but goodies: Josephine Pullein-Thompson who wrote: Pony Club Team, Pony Club Camp etc. All about the trials and tribulations of a group of young riders in England. My favourite character was Noel who had a grey pony called Sonnet and a TB called Truant, I used to wish I was her.

K.M Peyton's Fly-by-Night... I loved that book!! All about a young girl whose family cannot afford a pony for her so she saves up to buy one. After a long search, she buys one that is young and cheap, and she struggles to train it, while all around her are kids with expensive ponies who sneer at her. It is very well written and even adults would enjoy it. I'm going to re-read it again!!

Please someone tell me the name of the sequel !

Was done by my great aunt, Eleanor Graham Vance.

http://www.abebooks.com is still coming up with matches for my "wish I still had" books.

Any one recall the title of one about two friends spending the summer on one of the girl's parents farm. A nasty caretaker couple mismanage the place and the girls spend the summer roaming. The horses were renamed by the girls to "Boojum" and "Snark".
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

My favorite horse books of all time include:

King of the Wind (my ALL TIME favorite)
    Black Beauty (so sad!)
    Horseman's Encyclopedia
    Black Gold (about a famous standardbred trotter)
    And any other Maurgauite (sp?) Henry Books (they are ALL good!)
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Is about a Thoroughbred that wins the Kentucky Derby. He was bred and raced by a Native American Indian family.

Born to Trot is about a Standardbred filly (trotter) that wins the Hambletonian.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

PamM, I had a copy of Hobby Horse Hill till just a few months ago, when it went to a tack sale. Too bad or I would have mailed it to you!
    My faves:
    Black Beauty
    Charlie (or something, it was the only horsey book my school library had, I had it out every week, about an old horse some kids love and buy for $25)
    All the Margurite Henrey, the big board books, illustrated by Wesley Dennis (also from my school library).
    But I love every horsey book!!

I didn't notice anyone else mention it and it is my absolute favorite: A horse Called Holiday.
    Its about a girl that can't afford her own horse and rides other peoples horses. She eventually gets a big chestnut tb who is deaf. This horse is old and has some fears from a very bad fall and eventually they over come the fears. Its a great feel good book!!

I also liked (own) Everyday Friends, Somebody's horse, A Horse of Her Own, Dark Sunshine (another good one!), many Walter Farley books, Saddleclub books etc. And many of these are so tattered from countless reading. I think I read A horse called holiday about 15 times. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

Frog, the horse that knew no master by Colonel S.P. Meek was/is one of my all time favorites. Wild horse, Cavalry horse, Polo horse, and jumper all in one! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

JoHn (WiNgLeT)
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

Misty of Chincoteague and King of the Wind both by Marguerite Henry.

And I sobbed my way through Beautiful Joe.

Remember hitting the library and checking out EVERY horse book, including those by British writers who apparently published during the Trojan wars? Remember showing up for your first lessons and fully expecting to meet a teacher clad like a master of the hounds? Those Brits certainly put ideas in our heads!

Who could forget trying to figure out what the heck "head collar" meant? Or following a recipe for bran mash -- only because you didn't happen to be living on the Scottish moor, you didn't have bran and at least six other ingredients in the cabinet. Heck, paprika and cinammon -- kind of the same color. No apples? Pears will do! Of course the animal wouldn't touch the damn mash with a six-foot lunge whip.

And what was with the never-ending reference to Pony Club? Pony Club Pony Club Pony Club! Was it something in the water? Something genetic? God almighty. There will always be an England.

Paisley.

Paisley, you remind me of the Jill series. I love those old British pony books!
    My modern (70's??) cheap copies of Jill's Gymkhana and Jill has Two Ponies has a fat little girl on the cover, but darling original artwork inside!

The sequel is "The Team". Ruth outgrows Fly, gets a new pony (remember Toadhill Flax, the gorgeous pony?), and goes to Pony Club Camp where, as usual, Ruth feels slightly overwhelmed.

There is actually a third book in the series but its not horsey--it's called "The Beethoven Medal". Ruth grows up & falls in love (this one combines the "Fly by Night" books and another of Peyton's series about Pennington, a rather angry boy...)

BTW, just read "Blind Beauty"--Peyton's new book--very good. About steeplechase yards.

If you can find it, you might like "The High Mettled Racer" (Being the Story of "Revenge", Racehorse and Hunter) by Ernest Lewis, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1933...about steeplechasing and foxhunting.

Or Carl Raswan's book, which I believe was titled, "Drinkers of the Wind"...about his search for the perfect Arabian (loaned it out and still waiting for its return).

Anyone else remember these two?

Posted some others on old threads, I think, and don't want to duplicate.
    Tinwhistle Farm

My heroes of course were always the kid who coulnd't afford a horse so rode the outlaws well enough to hold her own at the shows against snotty rivels..hmm.. how fiction imitates life or vice-versa?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Thanks Rlclark for info on "Fly by Night" sequels. I'm going to the library to ask them to order them for me. I think I read "The Beethoven Medal" when I was about 12 but can't remember much about it. I still have "Fly-by-Night," I tend to pull it off the shelf on cold dark dreary days when I'm looking for something to do, it is so heart-warming! (I like books where the under-dog makes good) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Did anyone every read the two books about Black Beauty's relatives? There was a piebald that worked in a mine, and an all black brother, and a bunch of others. I dont remember what they were called...I loved reading them though. Anyone know what they were called?

I also loved the Robin McKinley story "The Blue Sword" where the people ride 18hh war horses without bridles and stirrups to defeat evil. Good story [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I also like "The Tiger Roan" ....
    ---WHX---

She is a great great grand daughter of Charles Dickens, obviously talent runs in the family!

"Talking of Horses" is a book about her life with horses, the horsey people she has known, and her thoughts and feelings on the subject of horses. More so an adults or teenager's book rather than for children, I first read it when I was about 14 and I still re-read it occasionally.

Does this ring a bell for anybody? All i can remember was repeatedly checking it out of the adult section of the local library as a very, very small kid (which would explain why i can't remember the story). It was in a beautiful slipcover, and was about a paint horse named Persimmon (Basically, i checked it out over and over because i liked looking at the artwork, and because i quite enjoyed taking it in and out of the slipcover...).

Does anyone remember a book - I think it was called "The Crumb" - or it was definitely the name of the pony in the book. It's about this girl who has a buckskin pony the she shows - it's a mystery book where someone is trying to kidnap show ponies.

My other absolutely favorite was CW Anderson's "Afraid To Ride".

And of course "A Very Young Rider"

lil orphan annie--Cool. Another Peyton fan! I also really like Monica Dickens' books. Did you ever read "The House at World's End"? A bunch of siblings (parents are gone--mom sick in hospital & dad sailing around the world) move into an abandoned house and end up with a menagerie, including the abused horse that gets nursed back to health (I always wanted to be on my own & get a free horse--has yet to happen! LOL!) Also, I think there was a sequel to "House" but I have yet to find it.

Medievalist--The ones you are looking for are "Black Beauty's Family" and "Black Beauty's Clan" both by Josephine Pullein-Thompson. I read the one with the piebald too (can't remember which one that is--"BB's Family" I think).

Baroni--"The Crumb" is by Jean Slaughter Doty. Excellent book!--one of my favorites. It's also about show horse insurance fraud. Unscrupulous GP trainer tries to kill unsound GP horse for $$ but kills kid's pony instead.

I've been able to interlibrary loan most of these books if my library didn't have them. The ones that were originally by British authors (Pullein-Thompson, Peyton, & Dickens) are a little harder to get/find, but I seem have managed to get most of these at one time or another. Also doesn't hurt that I'm a librarian! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Becky

Well, you guys have mentioned all my favorit true horsey books already, but did anyone else read the Trixie Belden books? They were mysteries but the kids all rode and lots of their adventures took place on horseback [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I still remember the horses' names: Jupiter was the feiry big black gelding that only Jim could ride, starlight was the chesnut gelding Brian rode, Lady was Honey's mom's gentle grey mare that Honey rode, Strawberry was Honey's roan gelding that Mart rode, and Susie was Miss Trask's little black mare that Trixie rode. Boy, do I need a life or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] But I loved those books when I was little; it took me a long time to outgrow my ambition to be a Bobwhite, and I think it was mainly because of their horses.

Whew. Sorry for the rambling trip down memory lane. The real reason I got on was to give another HUGE thumbs-up for alibris.com. You can find ANYTHING on there.