The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
    Another very good recent book is Outfoxed by Rita Mae Brown (who was mentioned above.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riding Shotgun is good as well.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    Is Danza the one where the Paso founders?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Wings, he founders then comes back to win the championship at the show but the minute he steps out of the arena he is dead lame from the performance he gave. I love that book-especially the part where the boy takes the young show horse out for a ride and lets him perform the faster gaits-corto and largo- although he was only supposed to do the fino; it reminds me how when we were kids we would see just HOW high our hunter ponies could jump/HOW fast they could gallop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
    "For Love of a Horse," which was about this family who moved from England to Scotland and the daughter tamed this wild Arabian mare who'd escaped from the carnival and almost died on the moor (I know, heavy drama now that I just read that)

"The Summer Riders," which was the sequel to "For Love of a Horse." Pretty good too, when one is 10 years-old

Robby
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my gosh! I'd forgotten all about those books and I ADORED them. It seemed so hard to find horsey books when I was a kid -- now they've got all this Saddle Club stuff.

Oh, and "Summer Pony" and "Winter Pony"!! I loved them!! That link to Alibris.com is going to be the death of me ... they HAVE a lot of this stuff!

Did anyone else ever read "Scarlet Royal" by Anne Emery? I must've taken that book out of the library DOZENS of times.

A great source for used books that you can't find in the US, or if you know re specific British authors that you're after, is www.paperbackshop.co.uk. I bought four big fat paperbacks from them and, with airmail, it cost $22. And they were in great condition.

I love all these book threads we have, but you have cost me a ton of money! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    EDDIE WOULD GO

One of my favorites is "Ride the Wild Storm" about an asthmatic city boy who spends a summer in Nantucket and becomes stronger and more independent after he befriends an islander and learns to take care of a grey mare, Salty. (holy run-on!) It's a pretty typical story line, but the setting is neat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Never give up on something you can\'t go one day without thinking about.\" ~Albert Einstein

Jennie Guest

I can't believe I read through this whole post and nobody has said "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell. It was the first horse book I read, in 2nd grade. The librarian didn't want to let me take it out because she thought it was too advanced for me. I remember reading snatches in the few minutes between getting dressed and leaving the house before school I was so enthralled and couldn't put it down. I now prowl used book stores looking for the same copy with the great color illustrations this particular version had, but haven't found it yet. Instead, I've now started collecting various versions. I'll check some of the links here - thanks. This is the book that still brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it.

Also, I have "Horsemanship for Beginners" by Jean Slaughter - must be before she got married. I noticed a few years ago in the Acknowledgement that the kids' pictures in the book included George Morris, Victor Hugo-Vidal, Ronnie Mutch, among others. I took the book with me to a George Morris clinic and got him to sign a pic of him as a kid (pg. 57) cantering through a field - really put a smile on his face, he thought that was great, hadn't seen the book in ages.

Jennie Guest

I just went to some of the links and realize there are so many versions of "Black Beauty" out there. Does anyone know this one, which is probably printed 1950's or earlier, contains many black and white and color illustrations. The color ones include, to the best of my memory: Black Beauty peeking over the stall to look at Merrylegs next to him; Black Beauty and Ginger hitched up to the carriage; Black Beauty being led out of the burning stable with a cloth tied over his eyes. Any help appreciated!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlclark:

I also liked one called "Everyday Friends" about a girl who takes up riding after she's quit about every other hobby/sport she's ever done. Darned if I can remember the author's name right now.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Everyday Friends" has to be one of my alltime favorites... girl takes up riding, does medal classes with her friends horse. Eventually gets a horse of her own which she names Worth Waiting (barn name Richard). I used to get this one from the library on a regular basis. Thanks so much for reminding me of it! I must search for it now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 5jss:
    Yes, Wings, he founders then comes back to win the championship at the show but the minute he steps out of the arena he is dead lame from the performance he gave.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh how sad to be grown up. I m sure that it was a wonderful story and a great read as a child. But as an adult, all I can think of is that the horse was drugged to the eyeballs to get him to the ring, and the drugs wore off as the class ended.

I HATE it when reality and cynicism take over...

pam
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Enjoying all the comments about favorite books and was particularly glad to see Silver Birch et al because I think of them often.

Don't be so proud of yourself. Your grandmother is an AlumnA - she and her classmates are alumnae!
    Are any of you readers interested? I have a lot of old and very old Chronicles which have to go before the floor joists collapse. Will send any for the cost of postage - $3.20 for as many as will fit into a regulation allyoucaneat USPS priority mail envelope, $1.50 each additional. First come, first served for specific issues.
    Some of the Cookie McClung pieces are worth the price alone!
    Answer to Starberry@snet.net, if this is allowed, Erin? I hate to cart them off the recycling center!

Wings--
    would you be thinking of "A Portion for Foxes"?

Books I loved (and still do):

School for Young Riders

Horsemaan's Encyclopedia by Margaret Self
    and the companion volume--Great Horse Stories, which turned me on to:
    Surtees--all the Jorrocks and related books
    David Gray and his "Gallops"
    Gordon Grand's tales of Col. Weatherford
    and more.

King of the Wind
    Black Beauty
    Come On Seabiscuit
    The Horsemasters
    The Phantom Roan
    My Friend Flicka and sequels
    The Irish RM stories
    Smokey the Cowhorse

I could go on and on...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghazzu:
    Wings--
    would you be thinking of "A Portion for Foxes"?

King of the Wind
    Black Beauty
    Come On Seabiscuit
    The Horsemasters
    The Phantom Roan
    My Friend Flicka and sequels
    The Irish RM stories
    Smokey the Cowhorse

I could go on and on...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Portion for Foxes, yes, I think that is it. I still have all my Flicka series as well as Smokey the Cowhorse and Come On Seabiscuit! The Horsemasters was great, about the a group taking the British horsemaster course. Learned about jumping lanes and strapping from that one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

How about the Lonesome Sorrel? Unusual to find one with a boy for the center character.

Col S. P. Meek (Frog) wrote several others that are available through the book find lists.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Alumna/ae -- oops, ok, it was a good attempt. I took Latin in 8th grade, in 1983 -- <blushing>
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jennie:
    I just went to some of the links and realize there are so many versions of "Black Beauty" out there. Does anyone know this one, which is probably printed 1950's or earlier, contains many black and white and color illustrations. The color ones include, to the best of my memory: Black Beauty peeking over the stall to look at Merrylegs next to him; Black Beauty and Ginger hitched up to the carriage; Black Beauty being led out of the burning stable with a cloth tied over his eyes. Any help appreciated!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the cover looked like a stall door w/ Beauty looking out? That's the one I remember w/ great color illustrations you mentioned. That was a children's abridged version printed in an oversize format for little fingers. I wore the cover right off that book.

Also The Chestry Oak by <slaps hand to forehead> I give up. A wonderful story of a small eastern european country at the start of WWII. Young Prince Michael is horse crazy and adores his father's black stallion who is trained to high level dressage. The royal family is betrayed by the King's minister and as the storm troopers come to place the King under arrest a kindly groom? takes Michael to the barn, puts him on the stallion and off into the night they flee.

Months later we see "Michael Prince" in a hospital waiting word of his adoption by American parents. He has lost his memory and is treated as an ordinary refuge orphan. Off he goes to Kansas where one of the great remount stations is, and at a sale he attends w/ his family Michael is drawn to a wild black stallion. It is his father's horse and Michael slips into the ring and w/o tack performs a high school dressage ride that brought tears to my eyes. For Michael now remembers all that has been lost including his father, his country, his title. As he begins he says, "And now my friend, we dance one last time for all that was and shall never be again." God I'm crying now just remembering it.....

Kate Senedy (sp?) I believe was the author.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I loved "5 o'clock Charlie", "The Exterminator", "A Filly for Joan", and "Little Black A Pony".

Five O'Clock Charlie - Marguerite Henry, wasn't that one? And "Old Bones the Wonder Horse" about Exterminator (I cried when his Peanuts the first died)

I've been to Chincoteague several times (it's a great beach town to go to when it ISN'T pony penning) and took a side trip on our way to Cape Cod one year to stop in Goshen, NY at the Famous Track and to visit where Hambletonian was born and buried.

I have been trying for years to remember the title of a book that I read when I was 10 or so. I vaguely remember either a round barn or round indoor, an accident involving a horse in the past, and a reclusive woman who took a horse crazy kid under her wing. A New England setting seems familiar, maybe near the ocean. Does that jog anyone's memory?

Jennie Guest

I realized the Black Beauty book I was looking for was probably good old Illustrated Junior Library, and bought a brand new copy at Barnes & Noble yesterday for $9.99. The hard cover is different, it's full color with Black Beauty in a meadow (not the same illustrator as inside, who is Fritz Eichenberg). But, all the fabulour color illustrations inside and numerous black and white drawings as well. There was not a color picture of Beauty being led out of the fire, that must be a different version. Inspired by this thread, I picked up a hardcover of "King of the Wind" (Marguerite Henry), too.

I also picked up the following used books: "Blaze Shows the Way" by C.W. Anderson, "American Girl Book of Horse Stories" (illus. by Sam Savitt), "Cowboy in the Making" by Will James (great color illus. included), and another copy of Black Beauty which was inscribed "For Beulah from Aunt Jennie" Sept. 1899, so of course I had to buy it (Jennie). It's very compact, just about 4"x6", and has about 5 b/w full page illustrations very different from others I've seen, incl. one of Anna Sewell at the front.

Other Black Beauty's I've found are a 1946 illustrated by Wesley Dennis, and a current (1994) Longmeadow Press version with Lucy Kemp-Welch drawings.

I'm still kicking myself for coming across a pencil drawing many years ago in an antiques store of, I think a colt, signed "CWA" and didn't buy it. It really looked like it was probably C.W. Anderson, don't know why I was so reluctant to spend a few $...

Anyway, keep the titles and remembrances coming, what an inspiration and great memories!

I always like a book called Horse in the House by William Corbin. It was written about 1964 and set in Oregon. This teenage girl had a palomino stallion and brought him into the house to eat salad (while her parents were away). She was actually trying to get the attention of a boy who wrote for the school newspaper. The horse gets stolen and taken down the river on a houseboat(!) and the girl and her boy go after him in a speedboat. Sounds dumb but it reads ok. Anyone remember it?

Kate Seredy, I do believe was the name of the author.

The B&W illustrations for Black Beauty sounds suspiciously like our favorite illustrator's edition - you know the PB guy whom no one can afford to buy any more? (Paul Brown - not paperback!) His BB illutrations appeared in both a condensed (simplified) version as well as the full length version. He also illustrated National Velvet - which is relatively available in the Grossett & Dunlap reprint edition.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I will again, if you can find Terri Wear's Annotated Bibliography of Horse Fiction (I think her cut off date was 1980), you will be one hundred steps ahead of everyone else in finding your favorites. While she does miss some, she does get most of the best ones, and I have found the book absolutely invaluable. I MIGHT even have a couple of extra copies...(Ha, I shall put them on eBay and finace my next trek to Ireland!)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Rather than start a new thread I dug up this olde one.
    Weatherford have you read the two privately printed hunting books titled:
    We Go Fox Hunting Abroad and
    More Fox Hunting in England by Charles D. Lanier?
    They were printed in 1924 and 1927 and are delightful stories about Fox Hunting.
    I cannot recall where I picked them up, I think in Middleburg, ages ago.
    They are both signed and inscribed on October 20, 1942 to General BF Cheatham.
    Do you know if this gentleman, Mr Lanier, wrote more books?