The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I read vociferously as a child. I still manage at least one good novel a year, and a few "how-to horsey" books as well. I would love to read a novel every month but riding and dogs and work just take up too much of my time.

My favorite horse books as a child were three that I bought at our school book fair.

"A Horse Like Mr. Ragman," which was about a girl from a working class family whose father purchased her a pinto pony that turned out to be a star jumper

"For Love of a Horse," which was about this family who moved from England to Scotland and the daughter tamed this wild Arabian mare who'd escaped from the carnival and almost died on the moor (I know, heavy drama now that I just read that)

"The Summer Riders," which was the sequel to "For Love of a Horse." Pretty good too, when one is 10 years-old.

I read many of the Black/Island stallion books, and a book called "Thunder, Mighty Stallion of the Hills."

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Oh my gosh BONNIE!! I had almost forgotten. Memories! Also loved "A Very Young Rider" can't remember the author; and the books on famous racers (Farley?) Man O' War, Ruffian...oh and Black Gold by Margeurite Henry. Sob!!

Ccoronios the short story you described I am almost sure is from Marguerite Henry's "Album of Horses", beautifully illustrated by Wesley Dennis. It was a huge favorite, along with her "King of the Wind" and others.

Paul Brown (I lucked into a copy of National Velvet with the Paul Brown illustrations at a used book store this fall), C.W. Anderson, and Wesley Dennis are favorite illustrators. I remember "Pamela" and the Dorothy Lyons books. Also, years ago an adult student of mine who had ridden with the late great Gordon Wright lent me her copies of a couple of fiction works of his. One I remember had to do with a lovely young heroine who had lost her confidence, whose beautiful divorced or widowed mother kept meeting the trainer over cocktails....

Keeping Barney
    You're somebody special on a horse.
    A very young rider
    Summer horse
    Winter horse
    Dark horse

I used to read Saddle Club series. Or something with that sort of name. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The Showgypsies----I can't remember who wrote it. What a book. It's out of print now I think. Similar to Riders but based in US.

OMG Robby, i didnt know anyone else but me read Mr Ragman and For Love of a Horse!!! LOL

The Fields of Praise, about an english girl who helps train, and rides, a pony to grand champion at the horse of the year show...

The Year of the Horse, about the canadian girl w/ the strange family who rides with the rich family when the son gives it up...

I have all the Bonnie books!!!!

anything by Jean Slaughter Doty...

Dark Horse Barnaby. And the one where the mare is stuck in the valley, heavily pregnant, and the girl has to get her back up the hill.

CW Anderson...Mary O'Hara...Marguerite Henry...

Dark Sunshine...Blue Smoke ( that was the one about cutting horses). boy this brings back memories!!
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Some of my favorites:
    Jean Slaughter Doty, Pony care and Horsemanshop for Beginners. Read over and over and over.....
    A Very Young Rider, Jill K.
    Margaret Cabell Self, countless books!
    Patsey Gray!
    Wow, others too numerous to mention! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I love the book threads! Its probably the only time I usually post--too shy to speak up on the others...But somehow the librarian that I am can talk about this one!

My childhood library had tons of old kid's horsey fiction that I just devoured. Some of the ones mention in the others posts I've read. Some, like Pamela & the Blue Mare, I have just caught up with--I'm keeping the Interlibrary Loan librarian very busy!

I especially loved K.M. Peyton's books--the Flambards trilogy and the Fly-By-Night books (Fly-by-Night, The Team, & one other...). Petyon also wrote a book under another name that was kind of neat--a girl finds a racehorse on the beach and "appropriates" it for herself during WWII England. That one is called Sabre, the Horse From the Sea (by Kathleen Herald).

I also liked one called "Everyday Friends" about a girl who takes up riding after she's quit about every other hobby/sport she's ever done. Darned if I can remember the author's name right now.

Jessie Haas' book "Working Trot" about a working student was also wonderful. She also wrote Keeping Barney and A Horse Like Barney.

I loved all of Jean Slaughter Doty's books, Sam Savitt's, C.W. Anderson's, Nancy Caffrey's, Walter Farley's (his story about Man O'War is great!)...Just too many to count.

Another place to find used books is Alibris. I haven't used it, but it was heavily advertised at the library conferences-- http://www.alibris.com/

Please keep all the titles coming--I feel the need to catch up on all the series & horse books I missed (how did I miss the Bonnie series that everyone's posted about!) ILL will be getting a good workout.

ETBW & Earthto?, I loved Frog, too. And Heads Up, Heels Down. Also Stormy (not Misty's Foal, although I loved that too), a cute Little Golden Book(?) about a TB colt who was born too late in the season and was left behind when his older buddies went off to become racehorses.

Anybody read "Horse Fever"? I loved horses before that, but that book got me hooked on H/J's.

Northern California Transplant To Middle Tennessee

And let's not forget Jane McIlvaine's "Copper's Chance"...it embodied every fantasy of a pubescent horse crazy pre-teen...the wild but talented horse that no one but the heroine could ride...the ruggedly handsome young son of the community's wealthiest family (who choses beautiful but impoverished Copper over the debutante snob because he is smitten by Copper's talent as a horsewoman...and there's fox hunting, horse shows, hunt racing..and (of course), Chance (The former rogue..now transformed into a champion) excels at all disciplines...Omigod!! I must have read it several times a week!! I still have that same old frayed and worn copy of the book...and to this day, I marvel at the wonderful Paul Brown illustrations.

And what about all the great Will James books..."Smoky The Cowhorse" .."Flint Spear".
    And then there were the John Tainter Foote short stories about horse Racing..."The Look of Eagles"...I could go on reading those forever.

BTW...for those of you who go to the UK...the village of Hay-On-Wye in Wales is a booklover's heaven...The entire town is made up of used bookstores...I went nuts when I was last there...I even found (and bought) a 1953 AHSA Rulebook!

An old, old book called "The White Pony in the Hills" is sooooo good. It's very thick (for a little kid anyway). It's told in the 3rd person omniscient so you get into the mid of the pony -- so cute -- as well as the human characters. It about a mother and daughter who ride(!) from Boston to Vermont to find a farm to buy to raise ponies, which they do. The pony's dilemma is that his "mistress" is growing out of him, which makes him jealous of the horses which she rides. It's awesome.

My source for horsie books of old is the Bryn Mawr Booksale. My grandmother is an alumnae (note feminine Latin ending - can I get the Merriam Webster Award?) and volunteered for years. She always picked me up horsie books. They have them in all parts of the country, whereever there's an alumnae chapter.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Thank you all who provided links to bookfinding companies. So far I have located Challenger (Patsey Gray) and Hobby Horse Hill(Lavinia R. Davis). but, SOB, no copies of Pamela or the sequel. I will perservere, now that I am on a mission.

BTW, for horse crazy teens nowadays, there is a series of books called the Thoroughbred series. I helped provide background and setting for one of the books and was rewarded by being put in a book as the friendly horse trainer who befriends the 16 year old champion-jockey-in-the-making. And my horse was put in as a stakes winner which she rides (NOT the hero horse of course). But he actually won a stakes in the book, which is certainly more than he ever did in real life. LOL

For those of you buying books for a 12 year old girl, it is #40 in the series and is called "Ultimate Risk".... (my boy is Decisive Moment and I am the wonderful, warm, understanding trainer, Pam Mahony [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and another of my horses, Commanche Trail, got a mention also!)

What fun!
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Did I leave out Glenn Balch?

"Christmas Horse", "Indian Paint", oh the list keeps growing!

Anyone looking for an inexpensive new one for young kids, American Girls has a new one out called "Girls and Their Horse" which has short true stories about Vaulting, junior rodeo, the Chincoteague auction, junior hunters and has a load of horse trading cards as well (The mare in the Andalusian pic belongs to my instructor!)

The book is under $10
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

How about Somebody's Pony about a pair of horse crazy twins who find a lost pony only to discover when they take it to a show that it's a famous show pony? I found a copy of this book at a used book sale, signed by illustrator Jeanne Mellin (who's currently doing wonderful equine portraits.)

By the way if anyone is interested in more current books, a friend of mine named Jody Jaffe wrote three mysteries that take place on the horse show circuit in and around North Carolina. The titles are: Horse of A Different Killer, Chestnut Mare Beware, and In Colt Blood. All three are out in paperback.

Jody Jaffe's books are great, someone posted not long ago that there aren't any more in the works though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Rita Mae Brown has a bunch (written with her cat, Sneaky Pie) that are set in the town of Crozet, VA and are fun.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Danza! by Lynn Hall. It is an awesome story about a champion Paso Fino and the boy who cares for him. A wonderful find in my middle-school library!

Pamela didn't make the Olympics (women weren't allowed in eventing or sj til 1960)

Here are some previous book threads: http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001552.html http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001647.html

there are more, but I haven't time to find them at this moment.

I have been putting Pamela into a pdf file for people to read. Email me directly.

And I am still looking for volunteers to help organize my book barn (I used to be a dealer)... hehe!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Is Danza the one where the Paso founders?

I used to know Lynn Hall but it occurs to me now that someone's mentioned her that we've been out of touch for a couple of years. I know she had 2 Paso Finos that she adored. Another very good recent book is Outfoxed by Rita Mae Brown (who was mentioned above.)