The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default What Not to Wear- Equestrian Edition

Seeing as how we're lightening the mood with what to wear, lets see what NOT to wear. What are your pet peeves in the hunter and jumper rings?

Show bows!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I dislike the majority on non beige/tan similar color breeches. Blue/grey/black breeches do NOT look good with a show coat! MAYBE with a polo, but NOT a show coat.

I'd love to see Stacy & Clinton do an Equestrian Edition

No too tight white breeches!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'd love to see Stacy & Clinton do an Equestrian Edition
    YES!

White pants and black thongs. Really white pants and any sort of colored/bright/contrasting underwear of any style.

Soft shell jackets that are too small. I really like the soft shell jacket trend and would love one of my own, but there was a girl I kept seeing at shows this year who was very skinny and had a SUPER tight soft shell jacket. It seriously looked like she was vacuum packed into it! The effect was not unlike a praying mantis on horseback.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Oh I also don't like the show shirts on girls where the top button starts really low! The ones where the top button is below boob level. They just look horrible! Also the majority of people wearing the short coats do not look good in them. Longer coats are much more flattering to most people especially if you have a long torso.

Remember Glamour magazine and the section where they showed fashion fails? I forgot what it was called.

show bow show bow show bow. There are a million ways to wear hair out of a helmet and have it look show appropriate. THAT IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Personally, I dislike really flashy belts in the hunters. If you won't wear a hot pink saddle pad, don't wear a hot pink belt! It distracts away from the so close to clean appearance.

Also not a huge fan of the big hair bows for the same reason. Very simple ones of one colour that don't cover the number and flap around are cute. Ginormous beasts that fly around like a flag need to go.

Shads with low rise breeches. Looks like your coat is too small.

And visible wrist between sleeve and glove.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

WAY too tight breeches that reveal thong lines... ew. TMI!

And super pale coats. NO. Just... No. If your coat is lighter than your breeches, that's a problem.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Show coats and shirts with what looks like Christmas tinsel pinstriping on hunters. Seriously? Who thinks this is a good look?

Low rise breeches that allow your shirt to flutter while you are wearing your coat. Ick. Especially with a shad.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Shads with low rise breeches. Looks like your coat is too small.
    +1

I just started showing breed shows vs H/J shows this year - and although I know it's "traditional" and even in the rule book for when I was looking at the Pinto shows - I loathe the fleece number pads.

I much prefer the streamlined look of numbers on backs and a fleece half pad under the saddle.

Also - rust breeches. I don't think I will EVER like that trend.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Thumbs down

Pony tails hanging out the back of helmets, bouncing around in the Jumper ring...on grown women!

I cringe every time.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

But do wear a belt. And gloves. It looks so unfinished without.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I think the Glamour section was just called Dos and Don'ts. With the black bar across the eyes of the Don'ts. . funny. I love Stacy and Clinton. I would love to have time with them!

I dislike women who have shorter hair that do not contain it in any way. I know it is probably not easy, but I'm sure it can look more professional. Use a hairnet or something.

I, like others have mentioned, dislike the bows on all but the smallest kids. Some look way too big for them.

And everyone needs to watch their VPLs.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Pony tails hanging out the back of helmets, bouncing around in the Jumper ring...on grown women!

I cringe every time.
    +100 I HATE the bouncing ponytail on adult ladies. Please leave this to the kids and ponies and their show bows!

I mean really! You're in a $25,000 Grand Prix with crisp white breeches, a lovely show coat, and a huge ponytail swinging larger than your horse's tail. UGH!
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!