The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Barns in Southern California - Please Help!

Hi,

My friend is a serious 3'6 hunter/equitation rider who wants is moving to southern california on the west side. Which trainers do you recommend she visit? She is willing to drive 1hr max, but obviously the closer to the west side the better.

LAEC is not an option because the facilities are not nice enough.
    She requires nice facilities, and a trainer that is successful on the A/AA circuit. Any ideas? Even if the trainer that comes to mind is a little far away, please put the name because she might be flexible on driving time.

Overall, she wants a nice, competitive stables that personalizes its training and while she is very competitive, she does not want the big show barn competitiveness. Horsemanship comes first. It is NOT all about winning for her.

MANY MANY THANKS!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Peter Lombardo - Frontier Farms (Moorpark)
    Archie Cox - Brookway (Middle Ranch, Lakeview Terrace)
    Jim Hagman - Elvenstar (Moorpark)
    Karen Healey - just moved to Somis?

None of these places is going to be within an hour of West LA traffic. But, places within WLA are not within 1 hour of each other during peak traffic.

You might also want to narrow down "Southern California". I think you mean Los Angeles... San Diego is pretty far to commute to a barn (though I know folks who do).

UPDATE: She is moving to Los Angeles.

It may be best to change the title of the thread to Barns in Los Angeles area so you'll get more input.

Southern California runs from Santa Barbara to San Diego.
    Last edited by Mardi; Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

When you say West of So Cal? I think of the Pacific Ocean. So please be a little more specific in location.

Snowden Clarke is out there somewhere in the metro area...Los Feliz maybe? Maybe the Penninsula/Rolling Hills area or Malibu are possible depending on where "west" is. The others are going to be a fair bit of drive time to outlying areas.

Just a thought but "fancy" is not the same out there as it is here. Most remaining urban barns are pretty much "landlocked", surrounded by development. The place is a desert so there are no acres of rolling green pastures and board fences. LACEC is actually not that bad compared to other places available and it is convenient to the metro area. There are several other barns in that general area...and they are not any "fancier" then LACEC...less room too. Friend may need to adjust her appearance of the property and ammenity expectations.

Go far enough out and there are some nicer places with more room but they still are not going to look like a Princeton County set up or Lexington (Va or Ky). Also talking substantial drive time each way. Even from West LA/Santa Monica out to Moorpark can be a challenge on a weekday afternoon let alone the 100 miles each way to inland San Diego County where some trainers are located.

See if you can be more specific location wise and tell us how far she is willing to drive and where she will be living. Board costs too...it is not an inexpensive place to keep a horse.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

There isn't much on the west side. You have to drive. I know this, because I used to work in Beverly Hills and then in Malibu. LAEC is a GREAT place to board if it is in within driving distance. There are lots of horse shows there, and when I lived there there were plenty of great barns. It's nice enough for Richard Spooner...

There is one place in Malibu, although they used to go through trainers fairly regularly. Far West Farms is in Calabasas, which isn't too far North, but still a major haul. They are fantastic though. Anything North of Calabasas is really pushing it in terms of a drive from West LA. Middleranch is stunning, and Archie Cox is there. It will be fancy enough, I just hope she has a champagne budget to go with her taste. Riding in Southern California is as expensive as in New York.

Is Beth Cadwallader still in Malibu? She runs a great program there.

http://www.horse-trainers.net/reviews/43723

Many of the riders from my current bard decamped to Lisa Strohway at Freeway Farms at Middleranch when there was a trainer crisis a few years ago. They are very happy there.

If your friend wants a country club atmosphere, I highly recommend Flintridge Riding Club, although it's a drive. She should pay a visit. The grounds are lovely and there are a few big shows there.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Beth Cadwallader used to be at Malibu Riding and Tennis Club, and she is a riot. Always had a fun group of ammies.

I posted this same reply in Off Course as well, but Jeni Brown at Shadowbrook in Moorpark is fantastic. Pretty facility, indoor, great horsemanship. http://www.shadowbrookstables.blogspot.com/

I would pass on the Flintridge Riding Club. It's VERY expensive, and I've heard a couple horror stories from a friend who boarded multiple horses there.

I'd also recommend she re-look at the LAEC. Like others have said, that's actually REALLY nice for around here, and there are TOP NOTCH trainers there =].

Other barns she might be interested in [they're not all within 1hr so much, unfortunately]:
    Sandie Springer Stables [http://www.sandiespringer.com/] in Newhall.
    Vogel Equine [http://www.vogelequine.com/home] in Costa Mesa.
    Equinox Equestrian [http://www.equinoxeventers.com/], NICE facility, but eventers and I don't know anything about the trainers.

plus pretty much everyone else who has been mentioned =]

I live in SoCal so I know a lot of the barns around here [although tbh, I have never had any interest in training at any of the "big barns", so a lot of my knowledge is NOT first hand], so if they have any specific questions feel free to ask. I might be able to help lol.
    Lots of things you could do with a stopwatch...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrn View Post
    I would pass on the Flintridge Riding Club. It's VERY expensive, and I've heard a couple horror stories from a friend who boarded multiple horses there.

I'd also recommend she re-look at the LAEC. Like others have said, that's actually REALLY nice for around here, and there are TOP NOTCH trainers there =].

Other barns she might be interested in [they're not all within 1hr so much, unfortunately]:
    Sandie Springer Stables [http://www.sandiespringer.com/] in Newhall.
    Vogel Equine [http://www.vogelequine.com/home] in Costa Mesa.
    Equinox Equestrian [http://www.equinoxeventers.com/], NICE facility, but eventers and I don't know anything about the trainers.

plus pretty much everyone else who has been mentioned =]

I live in SoCal so I know a lot of the barns around here [although tbh, I have never had any interest in training at any of the "big barns", so a lot of my knowledge is NOT first hand], so if they have any specific questions feel free to ask. I might be able to help lol.
    I beg to differ about Flintridge. They have a promotional membership this year, so a full equity membership is very reasonable and you can check their website for the details. Board and the monthly fee is less than I pay for board, hay and grooming where I'm at right now because grooming and hay are included. The footing is new and it's fantastic. Having multiple horses is a steal there compared to other full service barns.

Equinox is an eventing barn. Their dressage trainer is fantastic. I wish I could afford it. The horse care is top notch. It's small though, only eight to ten horses.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Peter Lombardo - Frontier Farms (Moorpark)
    Archie Cox - Brookway (Middle Ranch, Lakeview Terrace)
    Jim Hagman - Elvenstar (Moorpark)
    Karen Healey - just moved to Somis?

None of these places is going to be within an hour of West LA traffic. But, places within WLA are not within 1 hour of each other during peak traffic.
    I agree totally with Peggy on her suggestions. There is also Nick, Kost and Jenny Karazissis at Far West Farms in Calabasas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    I beg to differ about Flintridge. They have a promotional membership this year, so a full equity membership is very reasonable and you can check their website for the details. Board and the monthly fee is less than I pay for board, hay and grooming where I'm at right now because grooming and hay are included. The footing is new and it's fantastic. Having multiple horses is a steal there compared to other full service barns.

Equinox is an eventing barn. Their dressage trainer is fantastic. I wish I could afford it. The horse care is top notch. It's small though, only eight to ten horses.
    Whoops, didn't know that! I just remember the "membership fee" being ridiculous [imo, but maybe not for other people] when I looked into boarding/training there years ago.
    Lots of things you could do with a stopwatch...

If LAEC isn't fancy enough, then the OC Fairgounds certainly isn't.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

2 members found this post helpful.

I sent you a PM

I did want to add - has anyone ever tried that drive to Flintridge from the west side? Yikes! I made that mistake once to see some of our riders at the children's show, and it was not pretty. I've done the same thing to myself trying to get out toward Moorpark from the west side. I would suggest you do whatever drive you (or your friend) is considering, in rush hour or Friday traffic, before you commit to anything.

Traffic can get pretty bad. I wouldn't even consider making a regular drive to Orange County. I had a very good friend who used to do that, but was much further south down the 405 so it wasn't as bad.

ETA: Does she have to move to the west side? I did the same thing when I first moved to So Cal, and it was super expensive. Now we live up in the valley, in a much nicer place, and it is much cheaper! My husband works mostly in the Beverly Hills area, and it is a reverse commute for the most part. Just a thought. I'm always one for saving money so I can spend it on horses!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

1 members found this post helpful.

As a current resident of the west side (UCLA - westwood), I feel inclined to share

I would say LAEC is definitely the closest. On weekend mornings, it takes me between 15 and 20 minutes to get there. Even in commuter traffic, it has never taken me more than an hour (and an hour to get around in LA is not bad at all).

I ride in Cerritos (my mother, Carolyn Biava, has a fantastic program there! PM me for contact info!). It takes about 35 minutes without traffic to get there, or about an hour in traffic (it only takes me much more than an hour on Fridays or on holiday weekends).

Middle Ranch/Lakeview terrace, which is home to a lot of great trainers, is not a bad drive either. I haven't done it in a while, but I think it's also about 30 minutes (maybe less without traffic).

Moorpark is a little further. I would say, even without traffic, the drive is about 45 minutes. But, my roommate commutes out to Elvenstar to ride, and she doesn't mind the drive too much. Plus, if your friend is not going to have to commute much to get to/from work, she might not mind having to commute a little to get to the barn a few days a week.

Best of luck to your friend! The LA area has a lot of great options

I reccomend Devon Gibson in Rolling Hills. Might be too far though.

http://seahorseridingclub.org/
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Hillary Ridland (wife of our new chef d'equipe, Robert Ridland) http://www.equisportsinternational.com/ in Malibu at Sycamore Farms. Incredible training, location, and excellent care.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Hillary Ridland (wife of our new chef d'equipe, Robert Ridland) http://www.equisportsinternational.com/ in Malibu at Sycamore Farms. Incredible training, location, and excellent care.
    That's where I kept my first horse, starting roughly 45 years ago. At the time it was an unfancy boarding barn. We left when a client of Lucy Tipton's (now Stewart) bought it for her to train out of. They fixed it up quite a bit. Somewhere I have many photos of it back then.