The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default artificial joints and eventing

I have a fake hip, an ankle that's shot (needs to be replaced when they figure out how to do it), a knee that is full of debris and useless, a torn rotator cuff, and general old age and a handicap parking sticker.

So that being said, I miss eventing. Is it reasonable to want to do low level eventing again? I had to give up eventing because I couldn't shorten my stirrups enough for the bigger fences and changed to dressage (which is a pretty demanding sport).

Is it really not safe due to my fake hip? I have an eventor that will take me at least to Novice but there is still that worry of a refusal and a fall...

b

I'm no expert on this, but I am on my 3rd artificial knee. If you have good doctors that you can trust to give you straight answers, ask them. If they give you the go-ahead, or even if they don't, you need to decide if it's worth the risk. If your a typical horseperson, you have a stubborn and independent streak :-) , and you're going to do whatever it is that YOU want to do! If it's going to make you happy, I'd say go for it. I don't know how "safe" jumping is for an artificial hip since I still have my original equipment in that respect, for the time being. But ultimately, it's your decision.

Thank you for your thoughts. Made me smile!

Default Check out Combined Driving

There are a lot of drivers that love eventing, but their bodies wouldn't let them continue.

Combined Driving to the rescue. It's depressingly expensive, but a ton of fun!