The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse is related to Union Rags!

OK I suppose it is no big deal. My horse, A True Angel had no relation to I'll Have Another in 5 generations, but she and Union rags are both Seattle Slew descendants. My girl's daddy is Slew of Angels, grandpa Slew of Gold, Great Grandpa Seattle Slew. On the other hand, my horse wasn't very fast at the track. But I love her anyway! She's going to be an Eventing Girl.

...yeah, unless it's a full or half-sibling (which only counts if they share a dam) it's not, in fact, a big deal. Especially when it's just one big name farther back (I laugh when OTTBs get listed with "Northern Dancer, Bold Ruler, Secretariat!" like it's a challenge to find those names.) If sires counted my horse would be Benny The Bull's half-brother, but they don't. He's also "related" to IHA as they both have Mr Prospector in the same spot on their pedigree but that doesn't exactly count. (Union Rags has Mr P, too...)

And actually OUR horses are related, they both have not only Mr P but Quadrangle.

Well MY horse grew up in the same barn as Dixieland Heat who's sire was Dixieland Band, who sired Dixie Union, who sired Union Rags. So they like almost know each other

He's like Union Rags brotha from anotha motha.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'll play too.

Our yearling filly is by Dixie Union (sire of Union Rags).

baby pic from last year: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...-3-17-11-d.jpg

My Selle Francais/Arab mare can play too-- she's by a son of the Selle Francais stallion Feu D'Amor who was out of a mare by the TB stallion Cold Slipper who was a great-grandson of Nearco. Just sayin'...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

6 degrees of separation LOL.

I'll play too...My OTTB is a great great great grandson of Raise a Native who is the great great grandsire of Union Rags :-)

But I think LaurieB wins this game, that's actually pretty cool. Bet you are glad you got him now before his stud fee went up ;-)
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I have two horses tracing back the Seattle Slew line --

However, in looking up the pedigrees, I looked over Union Rags's race record and its quite impressive.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...154&registry=T

I'll have to find the Derby on u-tube and see why he ran so badly there -- shouldnt have.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Quote Originally Posted by brightskyfarm View Post
    I have two horses tracing back the Seattle Slew line --

However, in looking up the pedigrees, I looked over Union Rags's race record and its quite impressive.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...154&registry=T

I'll have to find the Derby on u-tube and see why he ran so badly there -- shouldnt have.
    They showed a close up camera of him in the Derby, he had an awful trip. Broke a step slow and got body slammed and shuffled back at the start, then had to check pretty severely while he was making his run.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Well, I'm always looking for a silver lining, and who knows....maybe if UR had won the Derby, then won the Preakness - it would be HIS retirement party we were all boo-hooing about! If that's the case, I'm glad he didn't win those first 2 legs!
    Now Matz just needs to come up with a 3rd good horse to win the Preakness one of these years
    And on a thread related note....I haven't checked my TB pedigree yet, but I DID stand in the Hickory Tree Barn in VA last spring!!! I heard the ghosts of TB's past whispering to me
    Cindy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I'll play too.

Our yearling filly is by Dixie Union (sire of Union Rags).

baby pic from last year: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...-3-17-11-d.jpg
    I think LaurieB wins this one!
    well done LaurieB - your filly's price just went UP!

The closest I can come is one of my mares, www.pedigreequery.com/navy
    who is by Dance Master (Gone West) and out of a Nijinsky daughter.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    OK I suppose it is no big deal. My horse, A True Angel had no relation to I'll Have Another in 5 generations, but she and Union rags are both Seattle Slew descendants. My girl's daddy is Slew of Angels, grandpa Slew of Gold, Great Grandpa Seattle Slew. On the other hand, my horse wasn't very fast at the track. But I love her anyway! She's going to be an Eventing Girl.
    I think it's great, and all the best on her new eventing career!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

BansheeBreeze, unfortunately Dixie Union died after siring the crop that is now yearlings.

Fred, I hope you're right!

Aside from being by Union Rags's sire, the filly also has other pedigree similarities to him. UR is out of a mare by Gone West (by Mr.P) and over Nijinsky (Northern Dancer). The filly is out of a mare by Street Cry (by Machiavellian, by Mr. P) over Storm Bird (by ND).

I hope she runs just like him.

Well, my Sammy (aka Southern Shuffle) has been encouraging everyone to cheer for his brother's boy on FB since the Derby.

Sam is a Dixieland Band son, so Union Rags is his nephew.

Shhh -- I didn't explain to him that they weren't considered really half brothers since they are only by the same sire. He is having too much fun being proud today!

Sammy raced until he was 10, when Lord Helpus found him at Rillito running in 1k claimers. He started out at Churchill's Training track with Wayne Lukas, but not being quite fast enough at 2, he moved on down the ranks until she snapped him up at 10, just in time.

He is retired here with us, and I love him to pieces. He has ankles the size of softballs, but is pasture sound and has two retiree buddies in with him.

Oh, the stories he could tell!

Mostly, he'd tell on me from bringing breakfast late . . .
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

My OTTB is out of a Secretariat daughter, who is out of a Nijinsky daughter.

They also have the Swaps mare, Change Water, in common.

So, Roy and Union Rags are practically cousins.

I think it would be much tougher finding a horse who ISNT somehow related to Union Rags.

LaurieB, Id be hiding that filly in a spare bedroom if I was you.....

Mine isn't - suits me - no Mr Prospector in mine --- but they ARE related twice to Seabiscuit, another TB with a heartwarming storyline: through Sea Angel and Sea Garden. He did not breed that many mares.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    I think it would be much tougher finding a horse who ISNT somehow related to Union Rags.

LaurieB, Id be hiding that filly in a spare bedroom if I was you.....

She'd have to squeeze in next to the Empire Maker.

Two of my mares are Alydar great granddaughters, & the mare we unfortunately lost last year was a "niece" (if horses can have nieces - lol!) of Ruffian. Thus our two sons of hers are what? Grand-nephews? Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Two of my mares are Alydar great granddaughters, & the mare we unfortunately lost last year was a "niece" (if horses can have nieces - lol!) of Ruffian. Thus our two sons of hers are what? Grand-nephews? Lol!!!
    One of my TB's is a grandson of Alydar, so our horses are related too.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Mine isn't - suits me - no Mr Prospector in mine --- but they ARE related twice to Seabiscuit, another TB with a heartwarming storyline: through Sea Angel and Sea Garden. He did not breed that many mares.
    I bet yours is somewhere.