The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Dominion--any info so far?

I know it is early yet but does anyone have any info on how things are going?

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

I was there all morning as the 100/50/25 mile riders went off, went with the friend who was doing one of the ambulances for one away vet check (they are actually all away except for the final check), then back to camp to time in the finishing LDs. The morning was gorgeous - cool and inviting. The heat started building around 9AM, but thankfully very low humidity. There was actually a nice breeze blowing in the open. But the sun was HOT, which didn't help the heavier breeds.

Happily, all the 25 mile horses that started...finished. One or two were on the cusp squeaking in at parameter (60bpm) just under the wire of 30 minutes. However, all passed - so major kudos to them for a job well done.

Someone had asked about boot use - so while I was timing, I kept a separate log of boots vs shoes. Out of 25 LD, 1 had Gloves on the front (with the power straps), Epics behind (one off and tied to the saddle), 2 had Gloves all around (with the power straps), and 1 had Easy Boot originals on the front, shod behind so I suspect the horse was also shod in front and the boots were just being used as padding. I didn't see any horses with Renegades... but then it was still dark when the 100s went out, and I was preoccupied with other things when the 50s left.

But I can tell you in the 50s the top 9 were all shod - only one had a boot on (Epic) to cover for a lost shoe. And the top two riders (midway through the 100s) both had shod horses. (I left at 4PM to head home so won't know the outcome until I hear from some of my buddies that stayed throughout the day helping out.)
    Last edited by gothedistance; Jun. 10, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Any news on the winners?

Thanks for the boot info. Where is that ride held exactly? Is it up near Massanutten?

Bayse, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post
    I was there all morning as the 100/50/25 mile riders went off, went with the friend who was doing one of the ambulances for one away vet check (they are actually all away except for the final check), then back to camp to time in the finishing LDs. The morning was gorgeous - cool and inviting. The heat started building around 9AM, but thankfully very low humidity. There was actually a nice breeze blowing in the open. But the sun was HOT, which didn't help the heavier breeds.

Happily, all the 25 mile horses that started...finished. One or two were on the cusp squeaking in at parameter (60bpm) just under the wire of 30 minutes. However, all passed - so major kudos to them for a job well done.

Someone had asked about boot use - so while I was timing, I kept a separate log of boots vs shoes. Out of 25 LD, 1 had Gloves on the front (with the power straps), Epics behind (one off and tied to the saddle), 2 had Gloves all around (with the power straps), and 1 had Easy Boot originals on the front, shod behind so I suspect the horse was also shod in front and the boots were just being used as padding. I didn't see any horses with Renegades... but then it was still dark when the 100s went out, and I was preoccupied with other things when the 50s left.

But I can tell you in the 50s the top 9 were all shod - only one had a boot on (Epic) to cover for a lost shoe. And the top two riders (midway through the 100s) both had shod horses. (I left at 4PM to head home so won't know the outcome until I hear from some of my buddies that stayed throughout the day helping out.)

Thank you so much for that detailed info! I love trying to figure out what works best. Shoes,saddle and pads.

Shagya gelding finished 9th in the 100 mile distance wearing Easy Boots,
    glue on's. Has competed and won or been Top Ten in several events and
    has never worn steel shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    Shagya gelding finished 9th in the 100 mile distance wearing Easy Boots,
    glue on's. Has competed and won or been Top Ten in several events and
    has never worn steel shoes.
    Cool! Congrats! I have not tried the glue ons yet but am quite interested in them. Renegade has their version also.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Thank you so much for that detailed info! I love trying to figure out what works best. Shoes,saddle and pads.
    I didn't have time to check out saddles, pads, rider tights mfr's, etc. Was WAY too busy working.

But...if anyone wants to check out the riders and horses that competed, just log onto BeckyPearman@smugmug.com, and click on the Old Dominion ride (when Becky gets the photos uploaded). Then you can research for yourself how many horses were wearing boots, types of saddles, tack, etc. If you can catch the 3 digit numbers on the rumps you will know what distance they were riding - the 100's will start with 1, the 50's with 5, and the 25's with 2.

I heard Jeannie Waldron won the 100!! Wow!

Can't find results anywhere though.

I completed the 50 in Renegade strap-on boots - we placed well back, but I was riding conservatively. I think we were 30th out of 50 or so, ride time just over 9 hours. The weather was lovely, the trail was (mostly) well marked, the volunteers were amazing, and my horse had a fantastic ride! The boots stayed on tight the whole time -- I didn't touch them once.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I heard Jeannie Waldron won the 100!! Wow!

Can't find results anywhere though.
    Yup, Jeannie was running third throughout the race behind Claire and Lynn who had been front running from the beginning. Unfortunately, both Claire and Lynn were pulled at the last away vet check, and that left Jeannie in the lead. I think this is the 2nd time Jeannie has won the OD.

Results aren't up yet, but should be soon.

When I was a kid in the 70's, there was a big to do in our local Arab club when one of our members won the Old Dominion 100. Her name was Ruth Kitchen and she was a lovley lady. I had the pleasure of going to her farm and seeing her horses. Knowing what I do now, I would be more suitably impressed!

Correction to the photographer's photo gallery:
    http://beckypearman.smugmug.com

My friend Judy and I even got photographed and we weren't competing, photo 77. My Mouse was very frustrated as I wouldn't let him catch and pass the competing horses. We were following behind all riders on the first loop so that we could change the trail markings at a trail intersection so the LD riders would take the correct turn on their way home. We were busy the day of the ride taking our horses out three times to change markings and hang the glow sticks on the last segment of trail for the 100's heading to the finish line.

It was a great weekend and my riding friends had a good day. I must know at least 50 of the competitors. Carol F. rode Brian D.'s Shagya for her first 100 and his first 100! My neighbors Bob W. and Terry C. brought two of Bob's horses successfully home in the 100, Bob in 8th and Terry a bit further back. Lot's of friends in the 50. One friend lost a shoe going up Fall Ridge trail (big climb) and had to boot that foot until she reached the next vet check. Trust me, she was cursing at boots!!! It set her back a lot time wise but she finished the 50 with her horse in very good shape!

Lot's of folks were very kind about thanking Judy and I for working the ride and doing some of the trail marking. The OD get's a special permit every year to use dirt bike riders to mark the trail. They work for days on the trail markings. A couple of the guys have gone thru the Forest Service sawyer certification so they can carry chainsaws as they ride and cut out fallen trees as they mark. They are indispensible to our ride! Then the day of the ride they cover half of the trail again, riding ahead of the 100 mile riders to hang and snap glow sticks on all but the last section of trails. Diane H. works for weeks clearing and cleaning the trails, hiking and riding with her mules and chainsaw. Diane is a 4'+, itty bitty lady who is tough and dedicated. She amazes me. Pete Godwin , is a dirt bike rider and is also our "Water Man". No ride without this hero who hauls tanks and water to all the vet checks and mountain tops for the horses. He's Super Man!

Yes, there was one intersection that wasn't pie plated and some riders overshot the turn but did eventually get back on trail. In hind site I can see it was miscommunication between trail markers. It will be good next year. Each year we learn something. It was a great event.

Bonnie S.

Default Help, please

How do I get more news and results for the 100? I've been in Yellowstone, so I'm just getting back to civilization. I especially want news of Jeannie and Lynn. Please feel free to p.m. me!

(I tried the aerc site and couldn't navigate it)
    Intermediate Riding Skills

http://www.olddominionrides.org/ will have the ride results posted soon.

Jeannie Waldron won the 100 on Wonder Witch. I believe that Jeannie also won the Old Dominion Trophy. She said she was retiring Wonder Witch to be her grandson's horse as the mare doesn't really like endurance rides.

I don't recall seeing Lynn Gilbert being called up for her completion award, she may have had a pull???

Bonnie