The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
    I don't know them well enough to estimate whether there are any who would be willing to put in jeopardy what they have believed in and worked for, for many years.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, too many seem to have quit, resigned, or allowed themselves to be pushed away when the going got tough. A pattern of civility those executives are banking on!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

of those who have refused to put their livelihood at risk - and it does appear to be at least a somewhat credible fear in this case. Are you willing to lose your job over this fight? I believe very strongly in the Fed's position, but that is easy for me to do as an amateur competitor with a completely unrelated job. Let's face it, someone like me can make all the strong statements I like without fear of becoming unemployed, or unemployable...

This makes standouts like Linda Allen a hero in my book - she's one of those who have taken a stand for what she believes is right, and good for the sport regardless of the potential negative impact on her business - and for that she deserves our thanks and credit. However, it must be said that she has a h@ll of a resume and many relationships which will survive regardless of the outcome of the NGB controversy, which cannot be said of everyone who is in an "involved" situation.

I wonder how many "up and coming" horsemen, CDs, officials etc can flat out afford to make enemies of the folks at the USET? It is a sad commentary that this is the reality of the situation, and I have great hopes that when the dust finally settles, concern over whose "side" you are on is not the justification for any sort of personal retribution. But in the meantime, I have to say I understand why some of those who've been either silent or (for lack of a better word) complicit, have made that choice.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

It is true that we all can't be too critical because of the risks but then as an oldest I must say that is the very problem. In the long view I believe these people would float to the top again.

It seems to be a unique characteristic of the current generation. I must say years ago in a totally unrelated dispute it was apparent to me even at that time that people under the age of 50 were much more intimidated than us older folks.

I had a lot of phone calls saying well, I agree with you and I'm behind you but don't use my name because they will be mean to my kids in school, or they will send the building inspectors or a 100 other legitimate excuses. That allowed our town to become one of the most corrupt in New Jersey.

So, what is so sad to me is that people cannot have more of a vision. It is that "vision" which is what makes everything possible and without it nothing is possible. Will we sit around moaning and complaining waiting for "Big Brother" to do the job for us? If so, then they win.

they are very much appreciated!

Only one point though, I don't consider anyone at the USET as "enemies." On the contrary, I hold many, many individuals throughout our sport in great esteem, and respect their own dedication toward doing what they feel is right for the sport.

I believe in the great value of honest debate. I only fume when the individual personality making the point is given more importance than the point/position that they are putting forth!! Why this has become so commonplace in our industry right now, confounds me.

In sports especially, an individual's success should be based on their demonstrated ability -- no matter if it is as a competitor, a coach, a manager, an official, an owner, a breeder, staff member, a groom, a vet, or a volunteer -- ability and results should outweigh other factors. I wonder why they don't always seem to in our world today? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Linda Allen
    Linda Allen

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

An excellent point - using the word "enemies" was perhaps a poor choice of words. I do know and agree that there are MANY fine individuals at the USET.

However, when I hear of people who are no longer being offered jobs and projects they have handled for many years, personally the word "retribution" comes to mind, and I do believe that there are many people who have suffered financially as a result of the position they have taken in support of the AHSA as the NGB.

Such a sad state of affairs, but hopefully soon to be resolved.

Snowbird, I hear you and understand the frustration it can cause when people only wish to support a position anonymously. But I would offer that there are degrees of risk - and the outright loss of one's income is a substantial issue. Someone teasing a child at school is not a good thing, but it is not on par with losing a house, for example. Many of these people may indeed "rise to the top" again - but only if they can survive (and by that I really mean survive - afford housing, food etc.) Not everyone has the luxury of being able to live without income or with an income that is substantially diminished for any length of time.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:

It is really unsettling to consider that the employees had such an important influence on the direct management and allocation of funds.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider Leone's statement, "But with the official NGB status and increase in corporate properties as well as sponsorship value that will result, the USET will have new recurring predictable revenues. It is important for the athletes that the NGB be the USET."

It's more important for any executives enjoying commissions from such increases in sponsorship value - the same executives whose direct management has been a pattern of what Leone describes as "Passing budgets in excess of expected revenue" and looking to members to bridge the gap.

And if the members can't bridge that gap, take out a loan, spend the endowment, and say it will all be ok in 2002?

I'm confused.

The point is that if your sense of security becomes so important that you cannot defend openly what is right then there is never any way to stop the evolving corruptions.

What is the secret power that people use to control and get their way, wrong or right? It is to create a sense of insecurity and jeopardy for those who could make a difference.

It isn't really important the place the time or the situation it is always the same logic. I can't afford to take a chance!

My question is can you afford not to take the chance?
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Patrick Henry

That was the hutspha that founded this country, that drove people over the pond to America. Have we become so fragile that we can't take a kick in the butt to wake up say I won't take it anymore.

We wouldn't be here if people had not taken the chance that being in control of your own life was worth the price and the risk.

But, forgive me because I am a left-over from the generation that won World War II. If you believe you can't, then you won't do anything. But, if you believe that nothing worth while is impossible then you take the risks win or lose.