The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who to talk to???

I am on the search again for my next horse. I looked in Florida and struck out. Now I was think of going up the east coast area II and around there, but trying to put together horse is proving more difficult. Does anyone out there know of someone who can put together some horses and help me out???
    No Worries!

depends a bit on what you are looking for...

I worked with Courtney Cooper several years ago and she was super helpful. I rode 3 at her barn, and she also took me to two other barns and set up appointments for me at two others. I'd say she's worth contacting.

It looks like you are in Louisiana.

Give Laura VanderVliet a call. She knows a lot of people up here in area II (and everywhere). Super nice and honest. See if she can help you. She is based near Lafayette but still comes up north for the bigger events.

http://www.lauravandervlieteventing.com/
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Looking for a finished horse, project horse, in between...?

I think Jim Graham in AL has a few.
    http://www.meadowrunfarm.com/index.p...nters-for-sale

Exactly Who did speak with. In Florida? No one called to arrange a showing of a really nice horse I have. There are a ton of horses here right now. Mine is going Prelim in July, is affordable, big, sound, easy.

Thing with Florida, several fish in the sea. Try Sean Tennet. He has a ton of connections, and the lient is number one, not the seller, which is what you actually want.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Did you check with Hilda Donahue in FL. She always knows of a bunch in addition to the ones she is selling. Mary Bess Sigman in GA, agree Laura Vandervliet, Dean Graham, Maxxtrot on this board. You could check with the folks in Texas, Heather Morris and Mike Huber. Also, there was a recent thread or two that listed many farms and regular sellers throughoutbarea 2 including Courtney Cooper, Phyllis Dawson, judybigredpony, tebogo sport horses, Bruce Davidson, tiffany Catledge, Shelley Heckles, Ryan Wood, Boyd Martin and othersvthat probably aren't occurring right now
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Did you check with Hilda Donahue in FL. She always knows of a bunch in addition to the ones she is selling. Mary Bess Sigman in GA, agree Laura Vandervliet, Dean Graham, Maxxtrot on this board. You could check with the folks in Texas, Heather Morris and Mike Huber. Also, there was a recent thread or two that listed many farms and regular sellers throughoutbarea 2 including Courtney Cooper, Phyllis Dawson, judybigredpony, tebogo sport horses, Bruce Davidson, tiffany Catledge, Shelley Heckles, Ryan Wood, Boyd Martin and othersvthat probably aren't occurring right now
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    agree
    I completely agree with scubed and bizbachfan...

It also might help to know what you're looking for. WB, particular breed, TB? What are your goals, do you want to campaign for Rolex in less than three years? Do you want a baby that you can raise your way? Do you want a made Intermediate horse? What's your budget? Do you have a height/weight/build want? Mare? Gelding? Stallion? So many questions!

I'm a tiny fish in an even smaller pond (a minnow, really), however we've done three tours in Florida and are working on #4 at Christmas. I am SHOCKED that you didn't find ANYTHING in Florida. You can't throw a rock without hitting someone with connections down there. Hell, even *I* (remember I'm a minnow) have connections down there!

Keep looking in the South before you branch out. There are some WONDERFUL horses down there!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Agree with scubed et al, esp with checking in with Laura down there. I forgot to mention her in my email from a while back, but she'd be a great resource before you start trekking it up here to area II. Don't give up!

PS- did you ever see about that horse Kim had? He was CUTE and had all the right specs!

Thank you everyone!!!! Thses are great jumping off points. I had Ruthie Harbison set up a bunch in Ocala area. That fit what I was looking for, here let me narrow it down a bit, sorry about that.

NO bigger than 16.2 (I am 4'11")
    Must be going training level
    Mare or gelding
    yonger than 13
    Steady, confident builder
    doesn't have to be a big mover, but does have forward thinking
    Breed doesn't matter

Bonnie, I am going to revisit your e-mail. I was think east coast b/c I know people I can say with up there and can help show me around!!! But if anyone knows of people down here!! I love it. I also e-mailed a ton of people around here and in north LA and in TX!!!! The search continues, my next partner is out there we just haven't crosses pathes yet!
    No Worries!

but you still haven't said the future level. Stay at training or below? Move from training up to prelilm? Move up to intermediate? It makes a difference. I know of several but they would all depend on what you're looking for in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    Exactly Who did speak with. In Florida? No one called to arrange a showing of a really nice horse I have. There are a ton of horses here right now. Mine is going Prelim in July, is affordable, big, sound, easy.

Thing with Florida, several fish in the sea. Try Sean Tennet. He has a ton of connections, and the lient is number one, not the seller, which is what you actually want.
    I would def talk to these people (Missy and Dee). I have purchased a horse from them before that turned out to be my DREAM horse. They were very honest and fair. I would go back to them in a heart beat. They also have a TON of connections all over the US to people that have horses for sale, if you cant find exactly what you are looking for with them. Feel free to PM if you want more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Be A Storm View Post
    Thank you everyone!!!! Thses are great jumping off points. I had Ruthie Harbison set up a bunch in Ocala area. That fit what I was looking for, here let me narrow it down a bit, sorry about that.

NO bigger than 16.2 (I am 4'11")
    Must be going training level
    Mare or gelding
    yonger than 13
    Steady, confident builder
    doesn't have to be a big mover, but does have forward thinking
    Breed doesn't matter

Bonnie, I am going to revisit your e-mail. I was think east coast b/c I know people I can say with up there and can help show me around!!! But if anyone knows of people down here!! I love it. I also e-mailed a ton of people around here and in north LA and in TX!!!! The search continues, my next partner is out there we just haven't crosses pathes yet!

Really call Laura. If she doesn't have a horse suitable for you--ask if she will help you find one. She is near you, very honest, almost too nice and has a good eye and connections all over the place.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

i will be more than happy to help you as well
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

sounds like you are going to get some help finding that right horse!