The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cavallo Simple Boot use Question

Last week farrier pulled my mare's front shoes . She has lost a front shoe every week for the past month. I purchased a pair of Cavallo Simple Boots to use during her transition to barefoot. She wore them in turnout for 1hr the first day, longed her and rode for 1 hr second day. They seem to fit well and will not be coming off . I want to go out on the trails, but am concerned that we need more of a break in period. Experience/Input. Our trail rides are about 2 hours long on some smooth, some rocky trails.

I would think you'd be fine on a ride that short.

You could always wrap her pasterns in vetrap to be on the safe side.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

We have used the Cavallo Simple Boots and also the Old Mac II for over 5 years on several of our Horses, which Brand depends on the Horse as each one fit different style Hooves. One fits longer Hooves better, the other fits wider Hooves better.

The Horse's Trot and even Gallop with them on the front Hooves and never had a problem.

We have 6 Horse that have been barefoot their whole lives, we only use the Boots when leaving the Farm and heading out onto neighboring trails that are known to be rocky. They are also great when the Farm or Trails are muddy.

Just a wild guess but they seem to average about 200 hours of riding before they wear out.

edit: Take care to watch the bulbs for chaffing, we had one Horse that we had to wrap with vet wrap for some reason, just could not find a perfect fit with either brand, but that cured it.

A More Comfortable Horse Performs Better
    www.westernsaddlery.us
    Kevin

I did order the pastern wraps, but until they arrive I will vet wrap the bulbs. I did put a pair of my socks uner the boots, but her heel bulbs looked a bit shiny when I took the boots off after riding.

Knee-high pantyhose. Trust me on this.

You cant make them get a rub while using them.

Knee high shopping today ! Love these ideas.

knee high pantyhose? Do you cut them off, or do they extend up the horses leg?

I want to put knee highs on my horse too! He already wears a dress (Eos fly sheet). He would look like Carol Burnett!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Attack View Post
    knee high pantyhose? Do you cut them off, or do they extend up the horses leg?
    Put them on your horse's leg, just like you would put them on your own. Then put the boot on and secure it. Then take the top of the knee-high, and pull it back down the leg, and over the top of the boot, and around the outside. The top of the knee high has a band of elastic, and it helps hold it in place (so basically, now the "top" of the knee high -- the elastic part -- is now pointing down towards the ground, and it is gripping around the boot). If you buy black knee highs, you won't even notice they are there. Hope I did a good job of explaining that! Let me know if I didn't!

That way works good for non-gaitered boots. If you are using boots with gaiters, just pull the top of the knee high down around where the gaiters attach to the boot. The elastic will hold it in place.

I have a horse with chronic foot problems, and he frequently has to wear easyboot RX and easyboot trails around the clock. This method has been literally a lifesaver for this horse. Sometimes I will also slather some Corona on his heel bulbs. But that's because he's turned out in them for long periods of time. Unless your horse has just unbelievably sensitive skin, you shouldn't need anything other than the pantyhose.

Willy,

Thanks for the explicit directions. Those are easy to follow. My Arab will thank me, as his heel bulbs get sore sometimes. Now if I can figure out how to keep his fly sheet from rubbing his hair off around the front straps on his chest I will be in business. LOL

Haha good, I'm glad! I see things in my head how to do them, but I don't think I'm that great at explaining how to do them! I do feel however sometimes like a pantyhose evangelist! My vet has really gotten into treating chronic hoof problems by going the barefoot method, and I was one of his first guinea pigs. I feel like I now know just about every trick in the book! It's funny when your vet now calls you for advice!!

Oh, and p.s... Maybe try rubbing some Corona on his chest, or use one of those silky chest protectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Wee Willy View Post
    Oh, and p.s... Maybe try rubbing some Corona on his chest, or use one of those silky chest protectors?
    Yes I will try those. He also gets rubs from his pulling/breast collar. At first I thought it was either due to the neoprene, or the fly spray. But I used a felt collar last time and it still rubbed him some.

Crazy question, but what do you mean by Corona? Beer?