The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Places where you ride and would be willing to show other COTHERs around

Maybe we could make this a sticky?

I think it would be great if we could all post places where we are familiar with the trails and where we would be willing to play "tour guide" for other COTHers. Also if you have some place you want to go but need a "trail guide" you could post that too.

I'll go first with Fair Hill, MD, Susquehanna State Park (MD) and Nottingham Park (PA)- I know all of these very well and would be happy to show other board members the trails.
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Fun idea! I can trail guide people around in Northern California foothills: Granite Bay, Folsom, Loomis, Auburn, Cool. From Auburn we can access the end of the Western States Trail, that Tevis travels over, riding to No Hands Bridge and down the canyons. My boarding stable can sometimes take overnight boarders too.

My horse is steady, and we usually travel pretty quickly. But we're happy to mosey along and take in the scenery too!
    "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

I am from Massachusetts and ride weekly in Myles Standish State Forest...1500 acres of awsomeness !! Would love to show anyone around !

I do that already. People are always sending me emails asking for suggestion of where to ride

If I have time I try and join them for at least the first day to help them get the lay of the land.

And every once in a while I end up playing guide and even furnishing horses. Had two couples over from Germany in May, and we took them on several trail rides.

East TN - Norris Dam State Park, Baker's Creek, Panther Creek, School House Gap, Big Creek, and much of Big South Fork and East Fork too.

Central PA, Sproul State Forest, Bald Eagle State Forest, Tiadaghton State Forest.
    Facta non verba

Most familiar with the Victoria Tract (glass school) and Armstrong Tract (Bracken Rd) of the Pilchuck Tree Farm in Snohomish/Skagit county. Also willing to go exploring up in the Anacortes Community Forest Lands as I used to mountain bike up there and have done a bit of trail riding. Always happy to have other people to ride with rather than just Big D and I.

Interested in someone to show me around Lord Hill or other areas in a 30 mile radius.

The places I know the best are the Gettysburg Battlefield and Codorus State Park in south-central PA. I do go to a lot of trails around Westminster and Frederick but I don't have them memorized.

N'west Georgia:

-- Cheatham Hill - Marietta
    -- Boundary Waters - Douglasville
    -- The Silver Comet Trail - Dallas
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I'm in the Kingston and Quinte region in Ontario...I know many good trails and several beaches!!

Great idea! I am in SE PA. I am still learning places, but I can find my way around Valley Forge. I have been to Fair Hill numerous times, but still can't find my way around, lol.

I am always looking for weekday morning w/t/c riding buddies in SE PA.

South Fla and if during camping season can meet up at various locations in Central and west Fla

Painted Horse - you're one person I would love to ride with!

Southwestern Ohio

My SO and I ride East Fork State Park, Paint Creek State Park, Shawnee State Park, Caesar Creek State Park and also Liberty/Whitewater in Brookville, IN for day rides.

Weekend/overnight camping destinations include Brown County State Park in Indiana, and Shawnee State Park, and Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.

I know East Fork the best, because it's only twenty minutes from home and I used to ride it nearly every day.

I have to say, Hocking is my favorite out of all of them. Lots of cliffs, gorges, overlooks, cool box canyons, waterfalls, and caves that you can ride your horse into. Nice mix of places to move-out at a gait, and smaller "goat paths" that involve scrambling through rocks and sliding down hills. And the scenery is just beautiful!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Southern California and parts of central California.

Some of my rides are on Everytrail.com. My name on there is the same, HorsingRound.

I'd ride with you if I can. :-)

northern vermont here.

SE Virginia but we don't have a great deal of riding here. I'm familiar with the Uwharrie National Forest in Central NC and camp/ride there several times a year. We've also been to Ft. Valley Ranch in Northern Virginia and that can be a bit tricky until you get accustomed to the trails.

Kisatchie to the west of Natchitoches. But I seriously doubt anyone lives near me