The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (correctly: Walk-ON-Duh)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's like something my old trainer would say.

You know, up until about three years ago, I thought gingham was pronounced "jing-ham". I also thought "devour" rhymed with "detour" and that "Audi" was "Ahhw-Dee".

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    I think a pencil is lodged in my brain... really far. Can I go to the nurse?

I used to be quite fluent in German, but not any more. It's true that if you don't use it you lose it.
    As part of my chequered path, I worked as a disc jockey [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] in an Austrian ski resort. Could NOT understand the Austrians, especially when they spoke to one another. but that is a story for a different book!
    Had a bit of fun, when I was living in Europe, having English speaking people come up to me and in laboured French/German ask me directions or something. I didn't want to make them feel foolish by answering in English, so would politely answer in whatever language. and of course, they couldn't tell that I had a horrible Canadian accent! or if I got endings or whatever wrong.
    Now here's a question: my horse's name:
    A Fine Romance...do you say RO mance or Ro MANCE? (speaking of Fred Astaire songs!)

That's pretty cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. And in answer to your romance question, when the word's being used as a noun, I say RO-mance ("Aw, they're so cute together that it makes me want to puke! Now, THAT'S romance"). When it's being used as a verb, I say "ro-MANCE" ("How come I never get the ones who really know how to romance you?"). I never thought about it before, but with your horse, I'd go with RO-mance.

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

Any relation to Don?
    How do you pronounce luau anyway? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

That was the funniest thing I have read and I truly resented laughing that hard cause my abdominals are sore---you are a riot, Robby Johnson!! Stop it some more!

(Luau)

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

...years ago, my family visited an area near Boston. On the last day, we were eating lunch in the hotel restaurant and the waitress asked my little brother, "Did you go to see the cod show?" My brother looked utterly confused. Meanwhile I was thinking, "a FISH show? What kind of people are these? They're big into seafood, but really..." The waitress persisted, "You know, the cod show next door." That's when we realized she was talking about a baseball CARD show that had opened nearby.

When the waitress left, we all just about spit our food out laughing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

We are from Noo Yawk, where we wok the dawg, drink cawfee, visit DA Bronx and Lon Giland, and go to the New Year's paahty in Times Squea.

Before that we were from Philadelphia, where we took out the garbeege every week, just said "Noe" to bad cheese staiks, ate ho-gees, and went "down the shore" every summer.

So basically, nobody can tell where I'm from. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

Seoul Korea and Victoria British Columbia Canada

Here's one . . .

In English speaking countries, the word "Pumpkin" is often used to mean "sweetie" or "honey", usually toward one's girlfriend, or one's daughter, etc. . . .

. . . in Korea "Pumpkin" (in English) means "ugly"

If you call a girl "pumpkin" in Korea, you're likely to get your nose flattened . . .

Many an American soldier has returned home with a major shiner inflicted by a (former) Korean Girlfriend . . .

ah, yes, the joys of cultural misunderstandings . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I always hate it when people say Home De-poe instead of Home DEE poe for the hardware store Home Depot. My grandfather says that and it drives me nuts! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~*Lindsay*~
    An aspiring photographer specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Okay, even though I am a tailored sportsman, vogel, essex, unnapproved helmet wearing little rider someone PLEASE help me pronounce Beval.

I always said is Bev-el, however my even more in the know (ha) friend pronounced it Be-VAHL the other day. Did I feel like a dumbass - so which is it???

See Erin this is horse related!!!

Do I get extra points cause my father is Brittish and my mother is from Long Island????

- - - - - -
    "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

And unless the rest of the posts ALSO get horse-related, it will be closed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yes it IS spelled Patchogue...my fingers typed faster than my brain!

Somebody told me they were buying a "Her-meez" saddle once. I didn't have the gumption to correct them.

Also I always thought that Pytchley was pronounced "Pitch-lee" when apparently it is "Pie-chlee".
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

1.) Her-ez
    2.) Badmin-ton
    3.) Stress-awge
    4.) Cope-n-hay-gen
    5.) I-Beez-A (the 2 times I've needed to say it, and then in reference to the hound.)
    6.) Collegiate

Used more often:
    1. hack'mor
    2. macarty
    3. chinks
    4. lass-rope

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My pet peeve is a spin off of the Worchester post on page 1. Worchestershire sauce is NOT pronounced WOR-CHESTER-SHYRE just plain old Wouster like in the word "could" no chester and no shire... When people say WOR-CHESTER-SHYRE its like nails on a black board, wool on your teeth for me!! Yes I'm a transplanted Brit - yes with a mainly Canadian accent but I know my worchestershire sauce!!

Weell, differences in pronunciation are useful sometimes. For instances, my horse came from bu.fert while I go to the beach near bow.fort.

For those not from the Carolinas, that would be Beaufort, SC and Beaufort, NC, respectively. The difference in pronunciation prevents one having to ask, would that be North or South Carolina? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

It's "Wustershear" sauce.

The county is Worcestershire
    The city is Worcester (Wuster).
    I know, I was born there.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

someone please let me know how to say it (as in, horse equipment, Chambon & Degogue) and let me know about Degogue while you are at it.

Also, ARIAT, is it AIRY-YACHT or ERI-AT?

As for Hermes - I can't pronounce it, so I don't shop there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I prefer the TAR-SHAY myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

- C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>6.) I say "hair-mez." Nothing is worse than someone riding in an Hermes saddle and calling it their "Her-meeeez." It reminds me of Miss Piggy saying, "Oh, Kermieeeee!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny- but I always pronounced it right till I became friends with a family of that last name, and they pronounced it "Herm-eez" (I guess like the God of way back when), and ever since I always mispronounce it.

*slaps forehead*

As for me, I say dre-SAGH but everyone in this area says DRE-sagh (sometimes "DRE-sagh crap" instead, ugh), and it drives me bonkers because I'm used to the more correct french pronunciation.

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

What's the proper way to pronounce "Baucher", as in "Why are you using that Baucher bit?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
    It's "Wustershear" sauce.

The county is Worcestershire
    The city is Worcester (Wuster).
    I know, I was born there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was born there too. Well, in Yorkshire.

And funny enough, my family (all from Manchester/Yorkshire way) call it "Wooster" sauce as well....regional thing?

I meant I was born
    IN Worcester.
    n Worcester Hospital.

Yes, I think calling it Worceseter ("Wuster") sauce instead of Worcesteshire ("Wustershear") sauce
    is a regional thing
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).