The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lizviola:
    The one that always cracks me up is, when it's in France, it's vair-SIGH, but when it's in Kentucky, it's ver-SAILS!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's ver-SAILS in Indiana too...and here Notre Dame is Noh-ter Dayme and Carmel is pronounced like the candy, not like the place in California. I say Indianapolis so mushed up that I don't even know if I can write it how I say it...it kind of comes out Innie-an-apple-iss.

I'm a bit afraid to admit that until I read this thread, it never crossed my mind that Jerez wasn't pronounced Jer-rez, with a hard J sound, not a H. But I do say Hermes correctly.

Her-ez

Typically American, I say it Bad-mitten.

Dress-sagh

Don't even get me started on Hermes. (Some people like to say it just like it sounds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

By the way, it's ROSE-e-velt NOT roosevelt (with the emphasis on the oo).

How DO you pronounce Ocala (Not o-cal-a I can assume?)

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Hmmm. I read things phonetically (all that hukt on fonicks). But I say them correctly, in most languages.

Versailles was always (vehr-sigh)
    Hermes? without a doubt ehr-may
    Jerez, when spoken, hair-ezz

but when I read them, its gonna be Ver-Sales, Her-Mes, and JAIR-rez.

Hmmm...

Rebecca
    http://www.bluffparkfarm.com
    http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/smited/index.html

Member of the "I want a QH clique!"

"Mama says,'Don't use a toaster while standing in the shower.'"
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

In Kentucky, Versailles=Ver-sales!

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

that's how they say it there? egad.....scary thought!

I must admit I say HER-meez, and dress-AJ...what am I saying? When do I say Hermes, or whatever? When I am off spending money buying scarves? No, actually I never have the opportunity to say that, any more than say, Tiffany or Cartier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]....

I think the one time I had to pronounce it, I called it Her-ez......I'll ask my friend, she went to WEG, but then again, what will she know, she's from BF-Nowhere!...LOLOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

It took me ten years to figure out how to pronounce "hors d'oeuvres," and I am NOT going to tell you how I pronounced it before I was officially clued in. So, you will understand why this thread has made me need to go lie down . . .

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

you're right - the French Canadian accent is incomprehensible to us non French Canadians too!
    Have you heard our Prime Minister speak? LOL He is incomprehensible in both official languages.
    The Two Solitutudes in Canada will never be breached, because non French Canadians (anglos) learn a version of Parisian French -that no matter how fluent they are, makes them incomprehensible in Quebec. This I know. I too went to school in Paris (briefly) and actually learned to mimic the Parisian cadence, (you'll know what I mean..they have a very particular way of saying "bon jour, medemoiselle" even.) But I can't order soft poached eggs in La Belle Province. And don't even get me started on Swiss French or, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img], Swiss German, or Austrian German.....
    or how 'bout Jamaican English (and by this I mean English as it is spoken in the heart of Kingston) was once on a minibus in the heart of Kingston, when an arguement that quickly escalated into the one group getting out and rocking the bus... the scariest part was I couldn't understand a word of what they were fighting about. (and therefore could not take sides [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]) The only phrase I could reliably make out was "blood clot". It is an insult, seemingly.
    and then of course there is CALAIS in France, it is cal/AYE, in Maine it is CAL/ as ( much like what you get on your hand from the manure fork!)
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Forget about Jamaican English. How about Boston English? I live in Western Mass, where most people speak a relatively comprehensible version of English (understand that I grew up in Marh-lan, a few states to the south, and just below the Mason-Dixon). Anyway, we used to have a postman who had obviously spent most of his life in Boston. He would talk to me, and I literally wouldn't understand a word. I would just smile a nod, and if something more was required, talk about the weather.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hmmm. I read things phonetically (all that hukt on fonicks). But I say them correctly, in most languages.

Versailles was always (vehr-sigh)
    Hermes? without a doubt ehr-may
    Jerez, when spoken, hair-ezz

but when I read them, its gonna be Ver-Sales, Her-Mes, and JAIR-rez.

Hmmm... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do that, too. In addition, I say Butet correctly but when I read it, it's Byoo-tet.

And Kachoo, LOL! My mom was the same way with that pronounciation. "Horse Dee Voors", anyone?

~Erin B #1
    It's new, for people who like peace and quiet. A phoneless cord!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Calico:
    but how to pronounce Rox Dene?

Perhaps you won't throw things at me if I tell you that I thought "misled" rhymed with "fizzled" for the better part of grade school [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rocks Deen

(And LOL about the misled pronounciation. It seems logical enough!)

~Erin B #1
    It's new, for people who like peace and quiet. A phoneless cord!

Spot is correct. It is Ehr-mez. I spoke to the makers of the saddle when I was saddle shopping (didn't buy one) and they told me that that is the correct pronunciation. I think they get kind of touchy about everyone mispronouncing it all the time. You don't have to bother rolling the R if you're American though. We should get a little leeway.

Fred - so, do you speak German then? I've been studying it for several years now and am finally fairly fluent. Oddly enough, I've always found Swiss German much harder to understand than Austrian German (this could be because my dad is Austrian, and I'm used to listening to him, but it may also have something to do with the fact that Swiss German has more unique terms). Quite frankly, the German I find hardest to understand, both accent-wise and weird-words-used-nowhere-else-wise is the German they speak down in Bavaria (one very interesting thing they do there is drop a lot of their verb endings). It took me several visits to the Schmuckster's place to figure out what the heck anyone was saying. I STILL can't understand one family friend for the life of me and dread going to his house [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

ErinB - Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY how I pronounced it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Classy, no?

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

The quickest way to give away your roots in these parts is to call that town over in the Valley "STAWNTON." (Staunton=STAN tin.)

And if you call it Croz ZET which rhymes with CLOSET, you're out of said small storage room faster than Rock Hudson.

Please don't call Virginia anything but FA gin ya because there ain't no "V" in the alphabet 'roun 'ere.

Oh brother, do I hear ya 'bout Ca RIB be in English!

It's NOt "Lawng G-eye-land"....nobody here says it like that.

Try pronouncing Ronkonkoma, Patchouge, Cupsouge, Nyack, or any of the other native land names.

I remember in high school I went to Louisville (Lew-eee-vill) for a national school competition. The delegates from the other states would corner us New York (not New Yawk) kids and force us to say words like dog (yes it is dawg), and Garbage (which they assumed would sound like Gah-bij). I would oblige there interests as long as they would admit that orange is not pronounce Ornch.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

"Can't remember if it's Castillian or Catalan, but one of them is very th and not s."

--- Having lived in Madrid for 5 years it's Castillian that "th"s things. Catalan is a whole other ball of wax. So to be "correct-correct" in Castillian Spanish it is "he-RETH". To complicate it, if you are actually in the south of Spain they pronounce it "he-RE" and eat the "th"

When my trainer landed in Spain and told the taxi driver she needed to take a train to "HE-rez". He kept telling her that those trains only leave once a day at midnight. She insisted that her schedule shows 4 trains a day. After 10 mins of circular discussion she showed him the schedule. Then he said, "Oh, &lt;he-RETH&gt;, not Paris". So I guess if you are actually there do as they do or you'll end up in France.

==========================

"Do you say "Ibiza" or do you say "Ebetha?""

---I would say "e-BEE-tha".

====================================

"And then of course the Belvoir is correctly pronounced Beaver."

---Funny you mention this one because my family lives in Bingham which is in the shadow of Belvoir Castle in the Belvoir Vale, and even familiy members from other parts of England say it wrong (bel-voir instead of beaver)

===========================

And here's another for you. One of England's most famous tennis matches is not held in "Wimpleton", it's Wimbledon. Aside from riding, I also find B&B accommodations for Americans traveling to London and if I get one more person asking for a room in Wimpleton I'm going to spit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Bev

-----------------------
    Finnegan
    Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
    16.1hh
    bay
    -----------------------
    Finnegans Wake
    Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
    16.1hh
    Finn's photo album http://community.webshots.com/user/finnegan24100

Calico- I not only thought that misled was mizzled, but at the same time I knew the word misled when spoken, and used it without ever realizing that they were the same word. I still remeber my lightbulb moment when i finally got it- 5th or 6th grade.

Back in the day when I would have a glass of wine with dinner, I was out with my in-laws, and a few assorted family members - hubby was not present.

I ordered my dinner with a glass of Merlot.

MIL chimes in excitedly:

"Ooooh, I'd LOVE a glas MARE-LOTTT, that would go great with my fish! I LOVE MARE-LOTT!!! In her true Looongg Oisland accent.

I wanted to crawl under the table, but then thought of the Fil-eT MiG-NoN she should be having with her MARE-LOTT, and had to excuse myself...

My father drives me nuts by saying "ambliance", and "melk"...

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

I sympathize with the New Yawkah--I, also, was forced by other delegates (at national 4-H conventions) to say things such as "South Dakota" (here it's pronounced Da-KO-duh). They thought our long vowels were hilarious. The Canadians thought we sounded like Texans. The Texans thought we sounded like Canadians. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Likewise, I thought it pretty funny how people mispronouced my hometown's name, "Wakonda."
    No, it's not WACK-on-Da or Wake-own-duh. (correctly: Walk-ON-Duh)

~Why did they move the stones to Stonehenge? Perhaps because they had nothing better to do.~
    *Member of the elipses users clique!*
    ~This is *way* more fun than doing something productive~

-- Patchouge --

Jennasis, is it not spelled "Patchogue"? I have family on Long Island.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Eventing Yahoo In Training

When I was a little kid, I thought "horizon" was pronounced the same way as the first part of "horizontal".

The English "Beaulieu" is pronounced "Bewley"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).