The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

at the recent meeting discussion regarding eventing, held at the Radnor CCI**, the panelists kept talking about meetings held at "Hereth." Of course, they were pronouncing the city of "Jerez" like a native of Spain.

I also hear this when people pronounce "Badminton." You actually hear the first "n." Usually, in America, you'd hear "Badmitten."

Do you say "dre-SAGH" or do you say "DRE-sagh?"

Do you say "Ibiza" or do you say "Ebetha?"

In DC, recently, my friend's paramour was talking about his worldly travels and mentioned something about going to "Gopunhaagin." I took me a second to realize he meant, "Copenhagen."

Do you say, "her-MEES" or do you say, "hair-mez?"

Here's me:

1.) I say Jerez. Like, "Man, it sucked that I didn't get to go to the WEG in herez ."
    2.) I do say "Badmin-ton."
    3.) I sometimes say "dre-SAGH" and I sometimes say "DRE-sagh." It depends on how bad my test was. If it was good, it's "DRE-sagh." That should tell you how often I actually get to say it that way.
    4.) I say "Cope-n-hage-n."
    5.) I say "Ih-Beez-A." (Not "eye-beez-a," like some of my Arkansas friends pronounce it. "Eyebeeza what?" A ho?)
    6.) I say "hair-mez." Nothing is worse than someone riding in an Hermes saddle and calling it their "Her-meeeez." It reminds me of Miss Piggy saying, "Oh, Kermieeeee!"

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

at the recent meeting discussion regarding eventing, held at the Radnor CCI**, the panelists kept talking about meetings held at "Hereth." Of course, they were pronouncing the city of "Jerez" like a native of Spain.

I also hear this when people pronounce "Badminton." You actually hear the first "n." Usually, in America, you'd hear "Badmitten."

Do you say "dre-SAGH" or do you say "DRE-sagh?"

Do you say "Ibiza" or do you say "Ebetha?"

In DC, recently, my friend's paramour was talking about his worldly travels and mentioned something about going to "Gopunhaagin." I took me a second to realize he meant, "Copenhagen."

Do you say, "her-MEES" or do you say, "hair-mez?"

Here's me:

1.) I say Jerez. Like, "Man, it sucked that I didn't get to go to the WEG in herez ."
    2.) I do say "Badmin-ton."
    3.) I sometimes say "dre-SAGH" and I sometimes say "DRE-sagh." It depends on how bad my test was. If it was good, it's "DRE-sagh." That should tell you how often I actually get to say it that way.
    4.) I say "Cope-n-hage-n."
    5.) I say "Ih-Beez-A." (Not "eye-beez-a," like some of my Arkansas friends pronounce it. "Eyebeeza what?" A ho?)
    6.) I say "hair-mez." Nothing is worse than someone riding in an Hermes saddle and calling it their "Her-meeeez." It reminds me of Miss Piggy saying, "Oh, Kermieeeee!"

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

Well if we are gettin' picky... the "correct" pronunciation for Hermes is Air-May. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The only reason I know this is the lady that leased my pony works there, not because I can afford to shop there!

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.crosscreek.tk

We did it! World\'s first buckskin & white TB born!

"Hermes" is NOT pronounced "Hair-Mez" ...

Correctly said, it should be "Ehr (with the "r" having a guttural sound) then the "mez" part

The "H" part is actually silent and in true parisian french, you roll the "r" part in the back of your throat.

"Spot"
    (going back about 20 years to her french classes, but we also have a french exchange student with us from France for the next 2 weeks who confirmed all of this!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Nothing is worse than someone riding in an Hermes saddle and calling it their "Her-meeeez." It reminds me of Miss Piggy saying, "Oh, Kermieeeee!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! One of my pet peeves, too!

I think I am committing a pronunciation crime when I see Willem's posts. I say, "WILL-em." When I bet it's actually "VILL-em."

how on earth do you pronounce "chef d'equipe"?? I've never once heard anyone actually pronounce it. It's been driving me nuts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

and here's me (and my midwestern accent) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    1.) Jerez: "Herr-EZ"
    2.) Badminton: "BAD-min-ton" (yes, with the N. I lived in London for 6 months, so I always pronounce English names properly!)
    3.) Dressage is "Dress-AHGE". Of course, I don't do it, except when my trainer has me do some flat exercises, so what do I know? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    4.) Copenhagen: "COPE-en-hay-gen". I work with a guy from Denmark, and this is how he says it.
    5.) Ibeza is "eye-BEEZ-a". Probably wrong, and it does have an ebonics-type ring to it, but that's how I've always said it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    6.) Hermes is pronounced however it happens to come out of my mouth. Usually my mouth works too fast for my brain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but usually it comes out "AIR-may". Sometimes I pronounce the H. I'm just indecisive, I guess! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

where I buy ties, cologne, and harass the employees about the tack in the back (they know nothing about it), they pronounce it "hair", not "ehr" which is what I used to say.

It's definitely NOT "air-may." God, that's so Southern California! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Who am I kidding, I'm taking enunciation/pronunciation from Dallas people? The city that gave us the Ewings and "bidness?!"

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Robby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
    where I buy ties, cologne, and harass the employees about the tack in the back (they know nothing about it), they pronounce it "hair", not "ehr" which is what I used to say.

It's definitely NOT "air-may." God, that's so Southern California! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Robby

_ You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person. _ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Too true, RJ. But that is because we are "air-heads" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.crosscreek.tk

Can't remember if it's Castillian or Catalan, but one of them is very th and not s.

My favorite is Cholmondeley, which is pronounced Chumley.

And then of course the Belvoir is correctly pronounced Beaver. Southwark is Suthuk.

But Sade is pronounced Shah-day and not SHARday, because when they did the pronunciation thing when she first arrived on the scene, they did it with the ENGLISH pronunciation, which means that the English would pronounce it Shah-day because of how they pronounce their Rs.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Chef Day Keep ... Chef D'Equipe

SoEasy's ever helpful guide to French ...
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

The word is not allowed out of my mouth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If wishes were horses then ETBW would have a saddle that fits

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Copenhaaaaagen. Do they also say Pareeee? or Koln ( I have no umlaut on my keyboard)
    Wings you can do it!! (close the bathroom door and go for it!)
    That French stuff is easy for us Canadians, eh?
    When I was a kid, and the world (around here anyway) was decidedly more Anglo ... people resolutley said DRESS'ige. It was the horsey/English way. Now, no matter how bad their test, they/we all say dress AHG.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

(never mind things, let's talk places)

There is a city called Mi-ahma, but it's OK to say Mi-amee.

Likewise, you can say Atlanta, but don't get confused if people ask you if you have been to 'Lana. In either case, just drive fast when you are here. We appreciate it.

Kissimee is NOT kiss-ih-mee. It's KUH-simee.

If you aren't from FL, don't even attempt to pronounce Ocala, Alachua, Ybor, Micanopy, Appalachicola, Imokalee, Ichituknee or Okeechobee unless you like to amuse the natives. It's also important to know that FL had to pass a special law to make rental cars non-identifiable (they used to have a license plate # that started with a "Z") because the natives like to do ... unpleasant... things to tourists. Now that the License Plate ID Method is gone, silly things like saying OKEE-Chobeee has to suffice for Non-local ID purposes.

If you ever find the state of Lewee-zee-anna, let me know. I'm still visitin' Lou-z'yanna, and stoppin' in N'awluhns. I drive through Mis'sippee on my way to Luw'lvuhl (in KY).

And most important of all... Cuban food does not remotely resemble Mexican food, and Cubans (that's Koo-behn) have been known to actually die if exposed to "spicy" foods. Cal-Mex is not at all like Tex-Max (case in point - "fish tacos") and nobody, I repeat, NOBODY is capable of removing the "fajita" from a chicken, so if you are in the Rio Grande Valley, at a cookout, do NOT ask for such an item.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:
    That French stuff is easy for us Canadians, eh?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what you all think... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The first time I heard the canadian french accent I couldn't understand a word...and I was so glad that the _french_ tv show had also felt this way and had subtitled the show in french [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Celine Dion's accent is a lot clearer than those 1st canadian accents I heard, but it still makes me giggle when I hear it.

Like I can talk though. My accent sucks. I hate listening to myself talk french. It grosses me out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Check out my barn's site:
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Comment est-ce qu'on dit &lt;quiche&gt; en anglais? Mapi LaJoux
    ---WHX---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Nothing is worse than someone riding in an Hermes saddle and calling it their "Her-meeeez." It reminds me of Miss Piggy saying, "Oh, Kermieeeee!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why, but that made me LOL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Which, by the way, should not be pronounced "lull".

~Erin B #1
    It's new, for people who like peace and quiet. A phoneless cord!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you aren't from FL, don't even attempt to pronounce Ocala, Alachua, Ybor, Micanopy, Appalachicola, Imokalee, Ichituknee or Okeechobee unless you like to amuse the natives. It's also important to know that FL had to pass a special law to make rental cars non-identifiable (they used to have a license plate # that started with a "Z") because the natives like to do ... unpleasant... things to tourists. Now that the License Plate ID Method is gone, silly things like saying OKEE-Chobeee has to suffice for Non-local ID purposes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you mean Uh-latch-you-ah and My Canopy? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It took me awhile to get the pronounciations right. I still don't pronouce Alachua correctly unless I'm talking to a "native" (which I'm not). The real pronounciation sounds weird to me.

~Erin B #1
    It's new, for people who like peace and quiet. A phoneless cord!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

You got it Erin!

More like "Lach-way" and Mih-CAHN-opee.

But Oh-cuh-luh and MY-can-opee were always good for a grin. I used to call them that for giggles, before I learned that people actually mispronounced them that way!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

The one that always cracks me up is, when it's in France, it's vair-SIGH, but when it's in Kentucky, it's ver-SAILS!!

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lame/Sick/Injured Horse Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

We did it! World\'s first buckskin & white TB born!

You have G O T to be kidding!
    You are taking french enunciation lessons from people in DALLAS??? And believe that it is correct?

That is akin to having a Chinese person speak correctly in a Texas drawl!

My God Robby - THAT is really hilarious!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"Spot"

Is this like Worchester, Massachusetts, which is actually pronounced Wuster? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

From the law offices of Dewey, Cheetem, and Howe.
    \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
    - T. Robinson