The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Don't know what the fee is for Juniors and Amateurs- Dave and I are both professional members( I'm sure this will open up a can of worms). But $25 sounds right.

Anyone interested should and can attend the meetings. Any new input is good input, in my book.
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Consider me a member. Thank you Deb and Janet for sticking up for us non-members. Glad the show went well. Sorry I missed it. I was busy turning 40 years old and pretending to be surprised at my surprise party. (Hubby had to tell me - LIKE A CHILD!!!) He's cute. I judged at Bohemia Sun. I was surprised, I thought they'd all be at PHA. Patty Messina was there, that really shocked me. Looking forward to the next meeting. When is it?

June 4th-PHA same place same time and June 11th LIHSAA same place,same time and that is a very important meeting for all to attend. No membership required just the want to be involved! I will talk that one up big time as we get closer.
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

I had spoken to Alvin and Carolyn at the horse show. With the up and coming open LIHSAA meeting coming up on Mon. June 11th I suggested new comittee members. They agreed and I said I would like all present to nominate some on a piece of paper to be handed in at the meeting and the present comittee could make selections from that. So remember if you want to have a say please come and think about the people you would like making decisions for you.
    Stevie Nicks

Boy am I sorry to have missed the last meeting. The change in date conflicted with my schedule. I will surely be at the next one and yes I am a current member.
    For as long as I have been invovled with the LIPHA the meetings have been open to all but only members could actually vote on issues. I find it funny that no one has a list of current members at each meeting to clarify who can vote. I also can't believe that there is not one master mailing list compiled. I have been and active member for over six years and several notices and invitations have not been sent to me.
    Debbie good luck on your mission. I for one think there should be a lot of changes. Can someone enlighted me on the Merger idea between the LIPHA and the LIHSAA? I have only heard Alvin's comment of "not as long as I am president" See you all at the next meeting.

I agree with you things must become more straight forward. proceedures have to be set and followed.Alvin was very adimant(sp?) about opposing the merger.
    Brilyntrip

I need a little history lesson. When did the LIHSAA come into being? Who were the original members? My understanding is the LIHSAA was created by a handful of local horseshow managers, who ran at the time the 20 or so shows on Long Island. In an effort to get people to continue to show more, offered points toward an end of the year award. That award is given out at the LIPHA dinner dance.

The amount of shows on Long Island has increased tremendously and today a committee of 12 or 13 representing only one side of horse showing is rather short sighted. There should be representatives from all areas of horse showing including, management, exhibitors, professionals, maybe even licensed officals. Otherwise we risk having decisions made that are not for the "masses" but for a smaller group. There also is no checking system in place at the moment. As we all have seen, the recent point tabulation controversy was not embraced by the showing population, but other than stating our opinions, the decision making process was in the hands a select group that meets ONCE a year.
    Have the LIPHA and the LIHSAA ever joined ranks? Can anyone see any "cons" as to why they shouldn't be together?

Alot of people, members and non-members, think it would be very advantageous to have a closer relationship between the two organizations. We should all be striving for the same goal and be able to have open discussions on any topic pertaining to the horse industry on Long Island. For some reason our Chairman is absolutely against it.
    At this open LIHSAA meeting, June 11th, we must discuss by-laws and rules and regulations for the LIHSAA- there are none now which leads to much confusion and no set pattern to follow if there is a problem. Also, please come with suggestions for an up-dated committee, this is a must.

Thought you cast us off for a bit there! Missed you at the meeting and our pre-meeting dinner. Once again I needed that menu except this time in the meeting! Ask Linda Prisco to fill you in on that one.[Evil, evil woman lol]
    Merger is out. Alvin is totally against it due to some fiasco some years back. When I saw no merger possible that is when I decided it was time to get new comittee members and more open meetings so we could have a place to keep up on what's going on, and people I felt confident in, that would decide the future for L.I. showing.
    By-Laws. My god is this not insane that there are none as of now. Please,and you wonder why no one knows what is going on. I think once we come up with new members to the comittee this is an ASAP project for LIHSAA. How can we impose fines or rules with no by-laws. I admit I am not Mrs. political but even I knew any association MUST have these.
    Lots of work ahead for LIHSAA so I hope you comittee members are ready to put all the time needed to run a good association. This IS expected of you!
    Stevie Nicks

Whew!!! That's telling it like it is!!! Go get 'em, Deb!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Do any other LIHSAA committee members have opinions about the merger? I appreciate Alvin's point of view but he is only ONE person. Doesn't he sit on the LIHSAA because he is the chairman of the LIPHA? Shouldn't he be speaking for the masses? My impression was that the LIPHA chairperson was our spokesperson at the LIHSAA meetingI have heard over and over "this is a LIPHA meeting not a LIHSAA meeting", but as the chairperson who represents the LIPHA at the LIHSAA meetings how else are we to get our ideas, and points of view across? Since the LIHSAA meetings usually occur once a year behind closed doors, or worse in one on one telephone calls where no group discussion of thoughts or ideas can be aired, where else are horse people supposed to go to get our thoughts known? The decisions made by the LIHSAA effect most members of the LIPHA I for one don't feel as if they are listening. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I guess we should discuss in detail the incident that happened way back when why Alvin is dead set against it at the june 11th meeting.Like I said, if no merger then open meetings.
    As far as any votes taken, I feel no votes should be taken over the phone. A comittee member should be presnt to vote. This way they can get a feel of the room and also show the general public that they are willing to put the time into the L.I. horse comunity. Ask anyone who has been to one of the few open LIHSAA meetings you need to be there to hear all opinions befor casting a vote. I know many comitte members changed there vote after they came to the meeting at East Coast stables with the 20 horse show fiasco! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

I don't remember what happened "way back when". Could you reiterate the details?
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

I appreciate the difference between the purposes of the PHA and the LIHSAA. What is lacking is an organization open to all that has accountability to participants in the sport, ie those whose interests are affected by its actions. Neither organization at present seems to be able to address this problem. Though PHA is presently the only organization open to all comers, provided they cough up the dues.

Have these problems been around for a long time? I don't recall there being so many problems when I was showing. God only knows - it's been 11 years since I've been on a horse so I'll just keep my mouth shut. Hope everything straightens out.

Not a clue Janet. That is why I wanted to bring it up. I was hoping someone could enlighten us. No matter what the issue was, new era, new people. How long can one hold a grudge?
    Stevie Nicks

The LIPHA meetings are open to anyone. Whether you have paid your dues or not, you can voice your opinion. The voting on actions or decisions is however restricted to current dues paying members.
    I quess the "incident way back when" is still a mystery.

and it seems that all are welcome at the meetings, though only members can vote. I think that aside from this privilege, the benefits of PHA membership to those other than professionals have not been made all that clear...this is also a problem...with the main interest of the most participants at shows being either the outcome of the LIHSAA tabulations or the conditions of competition, the way things are structured now (or not) certainly doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I am missing something, and if so, I'd be delighted if someone "in the know" would clue me in.

Mary, that is exactly what I would like to see from LIHSAA. No by-laws, no meetings [except that one a year they had] comittee members not attending meetings, shall I go on. COME ON-just read the insanity of this all and lets get some people together who really want to make L.I. a pleasurable showing experience. Enough is enough.

Oh jeezes here I go, somebody put me in check here!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

The reason why I wasnt there was because the divisions that I needed to show in went on different days then in the past years so it didnt benefit me in going. I have supported this show in the past with many enteries I would of again but in wasnt in the cards for me this year, I dont think the time schedule was thought through enough before printing it. How many enteries did you end of having for the 3 days? I can figure the rest out myself if the changes that were made this year benefited the PHA or not.